Tuesday, November 5, 2019

October In Review


I know everyone says it, but I can't believe how quickly October went by. Looking back, I know I did a lot – my brother was in town, we did some hiking, work was busy per usual (ok that doesn't sound like a lot – TBH it was mostly work) – but it feels like such a whirlwind! In fact, every month feels like this, so I'm taking a note from Joanna and will be sharing a little wrap-up at the end of each month – what I read, stuff I tried, products I liked, and generally what went on. A nice little touch-base if you will. So without further ado – and before we get too far into November – here we go...

The Choice by Dr. Edith Eva Eger: I heard about this book through an interview with the author on one of my favorite podcasts, Wild Ideas Worth Living. After finally finishing the last book I was reading, I picked this one up for my Kindle and tore through it – and wow, it didn't disappoint. Lying somewhere between a memoir and advice book (I don't want to call it self-help, it's bigger than that), the author, Dr. Edith Eva Eger recounts her life – from her childhood in Hungary and discovery of her love for dance, to her internment in and incredible survival of the nazi death camps, the anti-semitism she experienced post-liberation in both Europe and America – and how she overcame it all, both physically as well as in her mind. It's a wonderful book that got me thinking more critically and compassionately about my own grandmother's trauma growing up in nazi Germany and how that trauma can be handed down generationally. This book is an important one, and one I highly recommend to just about everyone, especially given the divisiveness of our country right now.

The best tights & bag: Two things I added to my wardrobe last month that have made a big difference? These control top, super supportive tights and a fashionable carryall bag – specifically the Transport Tote. I'm always on the hunt for a great pair of tights, and these are the perfect opacity while still being supportive – but not constricting. I have a feeling I'll be wearing these a lot this winter. On a similar note, I've gone through so many work bags recently and just wanted something that felt professional but still fun. I got this one and love it. it's the ideal size for my laptop, a planner, and a few essentials – and not much more, which is important because I tend to carry a lot of crap!

Hiking Kearsarge North: I was really hoping to bring my brother out to Tumbledown while he was in town, but like most vacations that include a lot of family, his schedule ended up filling up fast. So instead we hiked closer to home and did Kearsarge North. Despite seeing this mountain multiple times a week and hiking close by, I'd never done it and it was the perfect kind of challenging. maybe not as full body as Tumbledown, but still fun with an incredible view at the top.

L.L. Bean Stowaway Day Pack: Speaking of hiking, I've now used this packable backpack on two longer hikes and love it. It's the perfect size for a day hike, has two water bottle holders (I drink a ton of water), and packs down easily for storage. Best part though is that it doesn't hit my hips when I'm moving.

Ogee Organics: Earlier this month I had the opportunity to try the whole range of shades of Ogee Organics' Sculpted Lip Oils and friends let me tell you, they're great. Beautiful color, no flaking, and incredible ingredients. My favorite shades are Gardenia and Clear – they're a little minty, but not too much, and the color is such a pretty wash. PLUS, Ogee is a Vermont-based company and I love being able to support New England-based businesses. I received a ton of interest on my Instagram post and i"m so excited to be able to share a discount with you! Click here and use the code JulieLovesOgee to receive 15% off your order of anything on the site!

Joining the Thinx Leaders program:
I'm so, so excited to be part of the Thinx Leaders program! I shared my first period story and why I'm so excited to be part of the program in this post – but in short, I love repping a product that cuts back on waste, supports the wellbeing of people with periods, and gives back to those in need and supports education for girls. Not only that, but I love giving back to YOU – if you shop through my Thinx Leaders profile, you can save $10 off your first order.

Primera Miracle Seed Essence: I've been using this hydrating essence for a few weeks now and I honestly love it. With winter arriving soon, my skin has needed all the hydration it can get. After washing my face, I put a little of this in clean palms and pat it in before adding serum and moisturizer. So nice.