Wednesday, October 24, 2018

My Favorite Pieces to Thrift for Fall and Winter


Like a lot of people, fall is my favorite season to dress for. With cooler weather brings with it a reason to layer and wear something on my feet other than Birkenstocks 24/7. It's also my favorite season for thrifting. Over the past year – since moving back to Maine, really – I've felt like I've landed in a really good place, style-wise. By that I mean it doesn't take me a million years to get dressed in the mornings, I know what I like, and I know what will – and what won't – fit in my closet. I've done my fair share of editing and donating and editing some more over the past year – the evidence of which is currently piled in my living room waiting to be listed – which is all to say, my thrifting eye has never been sharper. By knowing what I like and what I'm looking for, I'm better able to keep my thrift shopping passion in check while sussing out all the best gems (and taking the occasional chance on an item). I tend to thrift specific things for specific seasons – dresses and denim for spring and summer, for example – and today I'm sharing what I've been gravitating to for fall and winter – because there's definitely a theme.


Blazers: This year I've been on the hunt for the perfect neutral blazers to throw on over sweaters and tees and in lieu of lighter jackets on those random warmer fall days, and as the season gets colder, blazers look great layered under overcoats. I love the slightly longer shape of this camel-colored blazer. I found the plaid blazer pictured here back in spring, and it's one of my favorite pieces I've found this year.

Tips for thrifting blazers:
  • Don't be afraid of shoulder pads. Light padding in the shoulders can give a more structured look and if you're really averse, shoulder pads can sometimes be removed either by you or by a tailor.
  • Look for natural materials, like wool, cashmere and camel hair. They'll keep you warm and the quality is often better.
  • If the fit is slightly large, bring it to a tailor for a custom fit, you'll still be spending less on a quality piece. 
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––



Sweaters: Sweaters for fall and winter? Groundbreaking. But really, what might surprise you is that I usually find the best sweaters in the middle of summer. Selection may be wider now, but in the off season there's less competition! This season I've been picking up a few cardigans for layering and focusing on neutrals in textural materials.

Tips for thrifting sweaters:
  • Like blazers, stick to materials that are natural and feel good against your skin. Even the prettiest sweater isn't worth it if it's itchy and uncomfortable. Look for wool, cashmere, mohair, angora, and some acrylic and cotton blends.
  • Does it have pills? Skip it – most of the time. There have been rare occasions when I've purchased a sweater with a few pills because I know I can remove them with a sweater stone. But unless you know the piece is high quality, skip it, the pills aren't worth the trouble.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––


Vintage overcoats: So yes, you can totally have too many coats. And I've pretty much hit that limit... BUT! When I found the camel overcoat pictured here I made an exception. It's perfect, with drop shoulders and a roomy shape that can accommodate big sweaters and additional layers. It doesn't hurt that it's actually camel hair, meaning it's super warm, too. 

Tips for thrifting coats:
  • Check for moth damage! This goes for pretty much all wool and cashmere pieces – sweaters included. Look for little holes and other signs of moths. Some small holes can be fixed, but if it looks chewed up, don't bring that sucker into your house. I also recommend taking any coats and sweaters you thrift straight to the dry cleaner to get them nice and clean and safe to bring into your space.
  • Drop shoulders are your friend. Drop shoulders are super accommodating for a variety of sizes, meaning you can buy a coat that's a size too big and make it look intentional because you're not dealing with boxy shoulders.
  • Look for the classics. Along with natural fibers like wool, camel hair and cashmere, classic colors like shades of caramel, black, burgundy and gold always look timeless and can be blended seamlessly into a modern wardrobe.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––


Skirts: Skirts? Yes, skirts. I love pairing a midi skirt with a big sweater and boots for this transitional time of year, and it certianly helps that fewer people are searching for them when the weather gets cold! I love a high-quality floral pattern in a rayon blend, extra points if there are buttons. Bonus: this is a piece you can wear all year round.

Tips for thrifting skirts:
  • Look beyond your size. Skirt sizes vary greatly and can sometimes be easily altered with the addition of a panel for extra room or darts/pleats to make them smaller via a skilled tailor or your own two hands.
  • Missing buttons aren't a big deal. Skirts are the rare exception I make when it comes to purchasing something that needs repairs (usually I know I won't take the time). Dig into that spare button pile I know you have and find a replacement - easy enough.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

What about you? I'd love to know what you're thrifting for the season!