Monday, August 8, 2016

Philadelphia > NYC

 photo image 10_zpsthtuslv8.jpeg

In case you missed it -- and you probably did because other than on Instagram, I haven't mentioned much -- I have a new job, and a sorta-not-really new city. (!!!) I started my new chapter a few weeks ago when I joined the brand marketing team at Etsy. A huge decision, but one I'm so excited about, for so many reasons. A big one being that I'll eventually be a remote employee working from home, wherever home may be. As someone who has relocated for every step of my career thus far, from Maine to Massachusetts to Pittsburgh to Philadelphia, that's huge. But, the operative word back there is eventually. For the next month or so, I'm commuting a few days at a time from Philly to NYC, and living out of a hotel room while I get settled with my new team and new company (the whole thing reminds me so much of my days as an admissions counselor, minus the embarrassing amount of Panera and car karaoke).

 photo image 12_zpsdqyhwuo0.jpeg
Allbirds sneakers
Grafea leather backpack (more colors here)
Free People sunglasses
Blackhorne crescent keychain

As you might imagine, the shakeup in my schedule has been a whirlwind, one part awesome, one part exhausting. I love the fact that my days are unpredictable, that I've shaken off the home-car-office-gym-home schedule, what I don't love so much is dragging a roller case through the NYC subway system (but man, I think I may have found a great substitute for the gym!). But when I find myself cursing that suitcase and missing home (and I do miss home and the husband and cat therein... a lot), I have to remind myself what unique experience this is. Like a lot of kids who grew up in the country, when I was younger I imagined myself running off to New York as soon as I was old enough. Before I discovered photography, I had dreams of being a fashion designer, and that's just where you went. To New York. Right? Of course -- and obviously -- priorities changed, and as I got older, my desire to live in the city lessened and lessened, but I love that I get to experience it now on a more regular basis and in more digestible amounts of time... and then come home to Philly, a city that now seems so much quieter and spacious compared to the fray and frenetics of NYC. Until I make the jump to being full-time remote, I'm taking advantage. Seeing as many friends as I can, and exploring as much as possible in the hours before and after work, and trying to figure out the best commuter situation in the process. Two hours, three states, two trains and an Uber... sneakers and a backpack (and a good book) are necessary not-so-evils. I've been living in my Allbirds, quite possibly the world's most comfortable sneakers that go with pretty much everything, and picked up a simple leather backpack when I learned I got the job. Next up? A hard-case roller suitcase, or at least some kind of quality luggage. My Wal-Mart bargain of 10 years ago is not holding up (15???? oh my god it was 15 years ago....).

Do you have a crazy long commute? Any recommendations? Have a suitcase you like? Help!

PS - You'll still be able to find me on the Free People blog and The Style Line, where I'll be staying on as a contributing writer :)

 photo image 11_zps6s65p9lq.jpeg
 photo image 9_zpsceqy9ptp.jpeg

20 comments:

Chaucee said...

Congrats on the new gig! So exciting. Working remotely is the best thing I've ever done. Such a great shift in lifestyle. Right now I'm working from the Washington coast!

Elizabeth Rose Hisle said...

Oh wow, I am so excited for you! While I will really, really miss you around the Free People blog, (which has really gone downhill in the past two years - you were my favorite writer) this is an amazing opportunity. I am admittedly rather jealous as remote work is my and the husband's dream.

Orchid Grey said...

Chaucee - thank you! Super excited and always excited to hear positive things from other remotes, I'm looking forward to all of the possibilities!

Orchid Grey said...

Elizabeth - It really means a lot to know that you enjoyed my writing for FP :) Thank you so much for your sweet words, and not to worry -- I'll still be contributing to BLDG 25 on a regular basis. xo

Bridget said...

Congrats and good luck!

I have a Delsey suitcase and love it. Easy to schlep.

Anonymous said...

The allbirds are cute what else do you wear them with?

Orchid Grey said...

Anon - they look really cute with simple dresses, actually. I have a couple of basic mini dresses that I wear them with and I like them with sportier, minimalist looks. They're great to work out in, not necessarily running, but as basic gym/HIIT shoes.

Christina said...

Welcome to NYC! If you'd like local suggestions for food, coffee, shopping, etc please feel free to reach out! I've been reading your blog for years and years and would welcome the chance to give back.

Orchid Grey said...

Christina - thank you so much for both the congratulations and the offer of suggestions! I would LOVE any and all suggestions, especially for food! I'm usually around DUMBO and that general area - but also always open to anything else! Also, thank you so much for reading all these years, so wonderful and humbling to hear xoxoxoxox

Chelseabird said...

Congratulations, Julie! I am SO excited to hear about your new position, and wish you the best of luck! PS I'm loving your new communter backpack -- very necessary for all of your trips back and forth (and will be great for everyday when you're back home fulltime)! xoxo

Sanchari said...

Working remotely is definietly exiting and I love every moment of it ..
https://freshfashioneveryday.wordpress.com/

Nora Gouma said...

Great post, beautiful pictures as well, I love your blog, thanks for sharing!!!

xxx

www.noragouma.com

Ally said...

Congratulations! It's really great to watch your career progress, all richly earned through your talent and hard work. The commute sounds like a fun transition time (at least I think you'll think so later) between jobs and office-to-home work environments. Look forward to glimpses of all your exciting new projects!

Lisa said...

Congrats on the new gig! Etsy is such a great company, and it's awesome that they're letting you work remotely. I'm all about the remote life. Right now, it's just as a freelancer, but I'm hoping the next job I take will be at least partially remote until I can snag the full-time situation. It's the best! Welcome to the URBN-alumbi club ;)

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

URBN-alumni*

I clearly need more coffee!

sara said...

Congrats on the new gig! If you haven't picked up a new suitcase yet (it has been a whole week since you posted this) I can't say enough great things about AWAY suitcases. They are the best.

Ingrid said...

Remember to enjoy your time in NYC! Congrats!

Dylana Suarez said...

Congrats! We should hang in NYC sometime, with brigette!

xx

www.dylanasuarez.com

Kay Everyday said...

Congratulations! What an exciting move and what an amazing opportunity to eventually be a remote employee and not have your locale dictated by your job.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!