Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Chocorua

Chocorua 3
Photobucket
Chocorua 2
Chocorua 5
Photobucket
Chocorua 4
Chocorua 1
Chocorua 6
Chocorua 7
What I wore:
Forest Run Vest c/o Quiksilver Women
Sweater: J.Crew factory ($20-ish last year)
Top: J.Crew Factory ($10 old)
Jeans: Madewell High Riser (sale, old)
Boots: Sorel- Wicked Work Boot (c/o Sorel via Lucky Fabb 2011)

Where I wore it: Driving from Maine to New Hampshire to Massachusetts to Pennsylvania

New England always provides a healthy dose of reality when it comes to dressing for the cold. Nothing will bring you back down to earth faster than temperatures below ten degrees and a foot of snow on the ground (and it was only December), and if that doesn't do it, the long looks cast by family and strangers alike will make you question even the most mundane of fashion statements (Wedge boots? But they have tread! They're warm! Look, I can totally walk on the ice in them...). I'm finding that as I get older, that practicality sinks a little deeper, and I remind myself a little more of my mom each winter- for example: forgoing the sparkly dress on New Years Eve because it was snowing and we were driving to the suburbs and what if we went off the road and had to dig the car out? I wore Sorels and a sweater. An overreaction, for sure. None of those things happened.

As we were heading out of town after Christmas, on our long way home, we stopped to take a few photos in front of Mount Chocorua. This is one of my favorite views coming in to town, a peak I often hiked in the summer, and one that now inspires jealousy when I see locals taking advantage of the lake (a friend instagramming her stand-up paddle board, ice skaters). This kind of quiet is always difficult to leave.