Monday, February 4, 2013

A Few Small Goals for February

 photo b85d11f25e6c11e2ad5622000a1f98e5_7_zps32df625d.jpg

Oh February, how did you sneak up so fast? I'll admit, I'm OK with bidding January goodbye. It was a tough month with ridiculous weather and not enough room to breathe. I'm happy to report that I did manage to accomplish most of my January goals: I'm feeling like I'm standing on solid ground with my blog content, Chris and I joined a new gym and we're loving it, I got my hair cut- more on that one later- but not colored, and I unplugged just a little bit more- though not as much as I would have liked. The only one that definitely didn't get accomplished was going for a walk everyday, and I don't even have an excuse, I just didn't do it. So, it's a new month with new goals, here they are:

Plan a day trip or two
It looks like Chris will finally have some weekend days off this month, and I would love to go someplace new with him. Mostly, I just really want to go snowboarding. We didn't go at all last year, and it's something that I miss. With Seven Springs and Snowshoe so close by, this goal shouldn't be difficult to accomplish.

Do our taxes
This goal is so not exciting, but last year I waited until the last minute and just prolonged the stress. We have to do them and this is the month to do it.

Create an inspiring space
Our office is the messiest room in our apartment, and the last place anyone wants to spend any time. I want to clean it out and start over, putting some of my ideas to work. We're lucky to have the extra space, so it should be well utilized.

Spend more time with friends
I have a tendency to be a bit of a hermit, especially in the winter. If I have a free day, I'm perfectly happy to spend it doing things on my own. This is a habit I would like to break and actually work on building the friendships I've made here.

Enjoy Valentines Day
I don't dislike Valentines Day because of Hallmark, or the blatant display of affections, it's just too much pressure. Valentines Day just stresses me out. But it's also an excuse to make cards and send notes to people, and that's what I would like to do. And maybe go on a nice date, because why not?

Make a list of the books I'd like to read, and then read them
I'm a window shopper when it comes to books, picking up what looks interesting when I'm at the library instead of sticking to the ever-growing list in my head. I gotta write this stuff down, because I have a feeling that I'd be much more interested in the book on my nightstand if it were something I actually planned and had a desire to read. 

So, there they are. A few small goals. Do you have anything you're hoping to accomplish this month? Feel free to share your goals in the comments!

15 comments:

Telly said...

You should hack out goodreads.com. Its what I use to keep track of my reading. I also like looking st what I've read in the past.

Michal said...

Great goals and so similar to mine! I want to go skiing because I miss it SO much and the mild winter last year kept me from the mountains. It's just sooo frigging expensive...

I also plan on getting my taxes done and investing time in the quality friendships I have instead of just running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to please everyone.

I use Goodreads to keep track of my To Read List and it's pretty helpful. I also have kept a notebook for the last 4 years of every book I've finished and the day I finished it. :)

{Ashley} said...

I'm a proponent of tracking my books because if I don't I'll never read anything! I use Goodreads {www.goodreads.com} to manage my ever-growing list of 'to-read' titles, as well as track my progress in books I'm currently reading. :)

{Ashley} said...

And, coincidentally others who read your blog use it, too!

Birta said...

I can sympathize with the hermit thing. I've gotten so used to being alone all the time that I forgot that I have friends that I can call anytime and hang out with.. Shame, shame, shame.

Megan Colwell said...

These are really great goals. I hope to have a wonderful V-day, too. I'd also like to finish my latest macro flower painting!

Hey if you have time, check out my blog re-launch and art give away :)
http://nauticalowl.blogspot.com/2013/02/neverland-give-away.html

Heather P. said...

Sounds like a good list to me! I'm also planning to do my taxes this month. My husband can't decide if we should file together or separately (we filed separately last year because I got royally screwed after we got married and had to pay more than him). So this year it's going to be a bit more of a process...but one that I'm going to try to get done early!

Kellee said...

Oy tax season. I need to get on that as well! And my office is also the messiest. I should also put this on my to do list!! Thanks for sharing!
xo, Kellee from Pirate&Lilac

Julie said...

I also need to work on being more sociable. I just moved and don't have many friends, so I suppose it's important to build on the ones I do have?

Bridget said...

Another plug for goodreads! :)

Also---@Julie above and Orchid Grey Julie, may I suggest starting an articles club? They're like a book club, but you read articles from longform.org. My friends and I have a list of about 20 people, we send out a doodle poll once a month, the host makes a main dish and chooses the article, and then people bring wine and other dishes. It's very low key, very fun way to meet new ladies.

Anonymous said...

Instead of going out for Valentines, which always feels phony, crazy busy, and too rushed, we just do a wonderful date at home. Flowers, we make steak and shrimp and watch some fun movie. Works for us and feels more true.

Lagelle said...

Great goals & I'm right there with ya on doing taxes! btw I sent you an email asking about the Propel site you mentioned, when you get a moment please email (lagelle_fashion@yahoo.com) me the actual url. Thanx in advance.
Tye
http://www.lagelledailydose.blogspot.com

The Littlest Smitten said...

Great goals and I think totally something you can accomplish. I totally get you with the Valentines Day pressure. We decide years ago that we would make it a tradition to go to Bove's every year for Italian food. It's a diner type Italian place that has been around the early 40's. Cheap, good and quick. Plus they don't do reservations so it's makes the whole stress of where should we go and we need to make reservations ahead time thing not even matter. I like the excuse to dress up too of course.

Alex said...

I'm going to repeat the goodreads recommendation. Really, that service is God-sent. There's also librarything and shelfari, but my favourite is still goodreads.

(Oh, and if movies are your thing, there's letterboxd.com, or icheckmovies, but letterboxd allows for notes, ratings, and an actual log of what and when.)

Creating an inspiring space and taking daily walks is definitely something I need to do. I've been blessed (and cursed :P) with a large flat, and it's a shame to see all that space just used for storage with little rhyme or reason.

I like the idea of monthly goals, I might have to steal it. I set seasonal ones in years past.

kendall said...

Great goals, I feel like I have been making very similar ones in my head. I know a lot of people are suggesting goodreads and I went on it, but since I can only do so many social networking sites at once, I just stick to posting books to a board on pinterest. Then when I'm out, I pull up pinterest on my phone and pick a new book!

Thanks for sharing your february goals!

kendall from buttons & blossoms

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!