Friday, January 4, 2013

A Few Small Goals For January

Photobucket

Confession: I'm obsessing over my resolutions this year. After a whirlwind 2011 and 2012, I want to slow down and really think about what I want my 2013 to be. So while the full, well thought out list will likely make an appearance next week, I'm giving you a sneak peak of one of my goals today: to make a list of small goals each month. Yeah I know, my first goal is to make more goals. I always love reading Emma's goal lists, and plan to take it to practice this year. So, for January I plan to:

Streamline blog content
I've been a little scattered lately, but overall I feel as if I have a better handle on my blogging schedule now than I have in the past, and I'm really enjoying blogging more than ever. So, I'd like to keep up this momentum. I found this post by Kinsey to be especially helpful.

Get back to the gym
Not having a gym membership really isn't working for me. I wanted it to, but these freezing temperatures and dark mornings are killing what little motivation I have. A temperature-controlled gym sounds really good to me right about now, I'm going a little stir-crazy.

Go for a walk every day
My job takes place entirely behind a computer, and I admit to having busy days where I don't see the sky between the hours of 9 and 5. I know taking a short walk at lunch will help rejuvenate me and get my blood flowing.

Get my hair done
January is my birthday month, and I'm giving myself permission to... be fancy...for lack of a better term. It's a new year and I'm craving a new haircut and color (nothing drastic...yet). For the past year or so, I've neglected my hair largely due to the fact that my stylist is in New Hampshire and I didn't want to go through the stress of finding a new one, but I'm thinking it's time, now that I live 15 hours away from my usual salon. My hair has felt kind of gnarly lately, and I think it's time for a change. Along with this, I've been working on switching over all my cosmetics and bath products (and household too) to be of higher quality and free from animal testing, I've been playing around with make up a little more than usual lately, and it's time I invest in some nice products.

Unplug
Already something I've talked about and have been working on. It was so nice to be back home in Maine over the holidays and free from any cell service, internet access, and television. I need to do this more often.

Do you have any goals for January? Feel free to share them below!


20 comments:

Mardle Made said...

They sound slike great personal goals. I walk to work everyday and try and walk at lunchtimes too. I live right byt he sea and really appreciate that I get to see it most days, it's just the pick me up I need at lunchtimes!

My goals are:
Do more for others
Live more
Live more simply
Spend more timetalking and less time interfacing!
Be more respectful of others
Be more respectful of myself.

You can check them out on www.mardlemade.com

Thanks for another great and inspiring blog post.

Em xx

Christina said...

If you are looking to upgrade your beauty products, I would check out There's Lead in Your Lipstick by Gillian Deacon. It's a bit fear-inducing (which you can probably tell from the title) but actually tells you about which chemicals to avoid. The Skin Deep Database operated by the EWG also rates products based on safety and animal testing.
Good luck!

blue roses said...

unplug is definitely at the tippy top of my goal list.... banish all screens and just write, write, write, write. and hopefully finish my teetering stack of books on my bed table.

my stylist is literally a block away, and still i've let my hair get out of control; happens to the best of us, even when geographic proximity is not a barrier. cannot wait to see what you try!

Kate said...

Most of my goals are yearlong and photography-related. Shoot more, build a portfolio website, buy a new camera body, all that fun stuff. And somewhere among lenses and rolls of film I need to write my thesis, all 150 pages of it. :falls over dead:

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

Oh gosh, I am SO keen for a hair cut too! (Something about the new year always does that to me..!) I'm quite keen on the idea of platinum blonde - let's see what happens, eh ; )

x
Lost in the Haze: a Fashion Photography Blog

Chianne Hood said...

I agree with all of yours, especially unplugging. It's so relaxing to just enjoy time without a phone, laptop, etc.
Mine are pretty boring: drink more water, reduce sugar intake, get a job(!). :)
http://thehonestfox.blogspot.com

Melissa at bubbyandbean.com said...

I love these goals. I feel like they're inspired but doable. The unplugging thing is a big one for me too. I feel SO much better when I cut myself off from my computer and phone for a while.

Happy New Year Julie!
xo,
melissa

irene wibowo said...

love this post.. :)
Happy New YEar! ;)Irene Wibowo

G. said...

These are great goals (and definitely do-able I think)! And you've inspired me to add a few of these to my goal list for the month/year. Also, taking a quick walk (even when it's freezing out) totally helps when you work behind a computer every day (I do too). It'll clear your head & give you a little break! :)

Jennifer said...

Love your goals!
I know all about needing to take a walk during work. I work on the 5th floor so now everytime I need to use the restroom, I take the stairs down to the first floor and use the one there. It's not going outside but at least it gets me moving, gets my blood pumping and gives me a little break from the screen a few times a day.

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

monica said...

I'm with you--I listed some resolutions on my blog, but truthfully feel like I want to take more time to think through things this year. Time is flying by WAY too fast, and I just don't want to regret missing it in the rush of things!
Beautiful photos, and fun seeing you on Instagram.
With Aloha,

Romina-Santana-Art said...

Hi! I was wondering if you mind posting some of your beauty care products? I have been struggling to find some animal cruelty free cosmetics for some time =).

Daphne said...

I think setting monthly goals is so much more useful than a yearlong goal that will inevitably be forgotten! And I'm totally feeling you on the "unplug" and "take more walks"...I think that being out in nature can help us remember who we are, and getting away from the computer is the first step!

Thanks for the inspiration.
~Daphne (hitherditherdown.blogspot.com)

Sydney said...

I haven't really done resolutions or even goals in the past, but this year I'm just trying to focus on quality over quantity for my blog and being a little less hard on myself. I tend to have really unrealistic and harsh expectations for myself, a horrible habit I've been stuck in my whole life!

I really relate to your unplugging resolution too...I've been trying to do that quite a lot! I deleted my personal facebook a while back and that really helped. :)

crimsonstang said...

These are great goals! You should post about the new products you've tried!

missris said...

I love your goals! And now I'm going to chime in with some unsolicited advice :) I've heard good things about the JCC, and I'm a member at Shadyside X, which I think is great and pretty affordable. Also, I go to Kate at Pageboy in Lawrenceville and I can't say enough good things about her, if you're looking for a new stylist/salon.

Ghostie412 said...

I like the idea of having monthly goals I may need to incorporate that into my 2013 as well.

My main resolution is make a real effort to spend time with all the people I enjoy. There are so many people I know who I really like but we never seem to get together. This year I'm making the time and the effort to schedule lunches, set up after work meetings, met for coffee, put together dinner plans, etc.

BTW - if you are looking at switching to better-for-you and better-for-the-environment products you might want to consider going homemade. Due to my little cat's health issues I decided to eliminate as many chemicals and toxins as possible. That was about 1.5 years ago and I can't begin to say how happy I am that we made the switch. He's doing well and the hubby and I have also benefited. I'm a bit of a zealot about it because it really has made such a difference for us.

Happy New Year!

nicole s. said...

i love this idea and i think i'm going to do it to! i've always been big about setting goals, but i love the idea of keeping up with the year and being able to look back on them over the months.

my main goal this month is to suck it up and get my shit together as far as grown up stuff like student loans. it's really hard, but i feel better when i put in the effort and know what's going on.

thanks for the idea, girl!
xo
writeslikeagirlblog.blogspot.com

Alex said...

As a former Pittsburgh resident, I couldn't agree more with the JCC gym suggestion. It's awesome, I was a member for 2 years until I moved away.

And to further contribute to the unsolicited advice, if you don't have a hairstylist in Pittsburgh, check out Capristo Salon in Shadyside. Kim is amazing. I live in NYC now, and I've yet to find a stylist who is as amazing with blondes as Kim. I always make a point to see her when I'm back in the burgh.

Julie said...

Over the summer I had classes all day, so I would HAVE to go on a walk to the student center to keep my sanity. Walks are good.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!