Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Jewel Tone

In this outfit:
Dress: Darling (ModCloth)
Jacket: Thread & Supply (ModCloth)
Scarf: (ModCloth)
Tights: AA super opaque ($25)
Wedges c/o Spotted Moth
Necklace c/o InfinEight

Where I wore it: To the office & to a friend's clothing swap

Yesterday started off on a pretty awful note with our visit to the vet's office, I'll just say that I'm happy I decided to wear jeans and a tee shirt and dress for work after the whole affair. Normally very calm, both cats were nervous wrecks and both attempted to hide in the garbage can in the exam room. The vet was incredibly kind though, and it looks like poor Zeb will have to go on medication for a little while to help with his sudden aggression.

All that aside, once we all got home, it was time to dress for work, and dress I did. After a stressful morning, I really just wanted to feel nice, so I put together a favorite dress, two new items I ordered last week, and these amazing leopard-print shoes. I've actually been wearing these shoes non-stop lately, but every time I try to get a photo-- it rains! I love this fall weather, but getting outfit shots has become something that needs to be a well-timed activity.

Anyway, after work I headed over to Kate's house for a clothing swap, which ended up being exactly what I needed to finish out a busy day. Oh, how I've missed swapping! I came away with a few great items, though most of them are a little too summery for right now.

Do you have a strategy for dressing on busy or stressful days? I'll admit it was nice to have a few new things to wear, but usually I'll head in the direction of a favorite dress and easy shoes.

20 comments:

blue roses said...

busy and stressful days always turn out one of two ways.... me looking like a hot mess, wearing something that accidentally has a stain, or just looking plain boring. or somehow looking incredible and pairing some of my favorite items together. you have definitely adopted the latter approach here, love the bright scarf and those wedges!

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

irene wibowo said...

love the dress. :)
Irene Wibowo

Salem Style said...

great shoes!

Adrienne Scott-Trask said...

Great fall look!
I love your hair-do and those shoes are killer!
-Adrienne. xo

http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com
http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com

Melody said...

I wish I had a trick to getting dressed during busy mornings. Usually I grab something I wore last weekend or a white or gray tee and some jeans. My go-to!

jackie said...

that dress is so lovely. And question about the AA tights: are they actually truly opague? Because I'm looking for some to wear with long shirts for the cold weather and I hate it when they turn see-through in the thigh area, you know?

Orchid Grey said...

Jackie, just left you a comment, but YES I highly recommend the AA tights, both for opacity and durability. I've had this pair since fall 2010!

jackie said...

I got your comment and thanks so much! Layering them is a dang good idea for when it's chilly, but I'm glad these work even without the layers.

Jennifer said...

beautiful coat! I think I need a bright colored coat for the fall :)

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Cait Val said...

that white dress is such a great winter neutral for all your fall colors!!! the tights, scarf, and jacket are so perfect. also, a little leopard shoe never hurt anyone :)

glad the cats are cool too!!!!

xo. c & v
cake & valley

sweet harvest moon said...

Love your hair!

Justalazymorning said...

love the braid!

The Littlest Smitten said...

Great outfit Julie! This coat is so awesome and such a fun color. Have a great rest of your week!

Hilary Grace said...

My mother-in-law had to put her cat on medication for a while because his anxiety was really bad any time he was alone in the house (leading him to pee..everywhere). It really did help him and they've since weaned him off and he's been fine. I hope he responds well to it!

Aside from that, your dress is really beautiful, and that scarf is so sweet! Such an unexpected fabric.

Girl and Closet said...

Oooh, I haven't been to a good swap in ages and could really handle one. I always love what I find and it's such a great way to step out of my usual comfort zone. Also, sorry to hear about Zeb hopefully everything settles for the little guy soon!

And, this is such a pretty colour palette Julie + that dress is one of my absolute favourites. I'm also eying your necklace, I'm hoping to order something from them next week - I need a little treat! ;) Happy Friday! V

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

i need a clothing swap! sorry about your cats :( love the circle scarf!

Xo,
steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Hattitude said...

Hattitude Style Blog

oh i just love all the colours you paired with this outfit.
clothing swaps are the best. i'm just bringing out some of my gems from our spring clothing shop that were good for the fall. i need another one!

hope your kitties are doing okay

talk soon wild child
-Hattie
Hattitude Style Blog

Angel said...

That dress is soo pretty!

Vintage Dresses UK said...

This dress is beautiful, it's got such lovely little details.

Emily Baker said...

this is such a beautiful color pallet :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!