Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Old Favorites, New Favorites




In this outfit:
Top c/o Lulu's
Skirt: Vintage / Avalon ($16)
Heels: Forever 21 ($13 sale, so old)
Bracelets: Vintage from childhood

Where I wore it: To the office!

Please excuse the self-indulgent amount of photos here, I just really, really loved this outfit. After about two weeks of deliberating, I bought this skirt from Avalon this past weekend and I do not regret it. It's hard to tell with the pattern being so crazy, but if you look closely, you can see the weird, puffy pockets on the hips. People seem to be pretty opinionated when it comes to that store (similar to Buffalo Exchange, for those of you not in PGH), but I personally like it. Sure, it's no substitute for an actual thrift store, but I've found some great vintage pieces (like this skirt), along with some J.Crew staples, all for relatively cheap.

I've been on the hunt for a couple of slouchy, cropped sweaters to go with this and a few other high-waisted skirts, but in the meantime I'm enjoying dressing for what seems to be the last of our warm weather. It's always interesting dressing for those very specific times of year where it's in the 40's and freezing in the morning, and by mid afternoon the temperature had climbed to the high 70's. Also, these shoes. I should have bought five pairs when they were on sale at F21 years ago, they're an all-time favorite for their versatility and comfort and I'm pretty much willing them to survive at this point.

23 comments:

RoselyC said...

The shoes are amazing I can see why you love them so much. The skirt looks great on you.

Liz Lauren said...

very cute look


http://lavieenliz.com

Girl and Closet said...

Julie, I can see why you really like this outfit - it's seriously awesome!! I'm in love with all of the pieces and they absolutely work splendidly together! Love, love!! And those shoes... ah, so amazing.

And, I'm loving the idea of your skirt paired with a slouchy/cropped sweater. Hopefully you'll find the perfect one! Hope your day is super! :) V

Rhiannon Lorenzo said...

this outfit is amazing, love that skirt and the fact that those bracelets are from your childhood! adorable.

www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

nicole said...

Your HAIR looks amazing! Great skirt, too. xo.

missris said...

I love Avalon! Do you go to the one in Squirrel Hill? (I spy Little's in the background of these shots). This skirt? Amazing.

Chelle Lynn said...

LOVE the outfit. That skirt is bananas. Also, I really like Buffalo Exchange. Especially for finding something specific, it's great. I recently got a NWT David Meister dress there for a wedding I attended for $20!

CreatureType.com said...

Ahhh, I love this outfit, too! I let out a jealous sigh at that first photo--girl, YOUR HAIR. So jealous. I feel like I've been aiming for your hair length for years and it just seems stuck a few inches short. :/

Heidi said...

Your skirt is beautiful, I love the shape and the bold pattern. Great outfit. -Heidi http://fabricandfrosting.blogspot.no/

Marlen said...

the amount of photos is totally excused- i LOVE this look! that skirt is so amazing, and i love how you paired it with another printed top too. i want this, all of this

Rita Carvalho said...

The skirt is awesome! Looking great on you.

http://www.seelovemake.blogspot.com

Loes Elizabeth said...

That skirt is insane, can't believe you got it for $16! x

http://fashionoblivion.blogspot.co.uk/

Ashley Elizabeth said...

Love this outfit too! What kind of camera/lens did you use for these pictures?

Orchid Grey said...

@Missris- yep, I've been to the one in Mt. Lebo but I think the Sq. Hill location has better- or at least more- stuff!

@Ashley Elizabeth- I use a Nikon D70 camera (now I think that model is called the D300- could be wrong, mine was bought back in 2005)and a 50mm lens :)

kaity said...

your hair is so pretty! I'm jealous of all the volume you have going on.

Jennifer said...

Fantastic skirt!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

thecupthief said...

That skirt is amazing on you! xo L

Bethany said...

I LOVE this outfit! And I love your hair so much... I'm tempted to try the deep side part myself, now.

☯ZERO STYLE☯ said...

your hair is so gorgeous! makes me wish i hadn't ombre'd mine into oblivion! also, i love how you make everything look chic and expensive! xo

nicola lynde said...

Love this. All of the pieces are perfect together. Enjoy your last summer hurray. It goes all too quick, although I'm pretty sure we get fall weather first here in Denmark. grumble grumble.

The Braided Bandit said...

This outfit is ridiculously amazing. SO GOOD! The skirt, the shoes, and the top are all perfect. Also, this may be the favorite I have ever seen your hair! I saw on instagram a comment about you being carrie here and i have to completely agree!
Happy Wednesday!
xo Hannah

Cassandra Too said...

I want your skirt! The prints are amazing!!

I hope to see you at backtofive! :D

backtofive.blogspot.com
backtofive.blogspot.com

backtofive's twitter

You have to visit: Bloggers Against Social Injustice too!
We are having a giveaway now too over at here @BASI giveaway

xoxo backtofive

amanda said...

shut. the. front. door. whoa lady. i love this so so so much!!!!!!!!!! i haven't even read your post because i saw the outfit awesomeness and immediately pinned it and then had to comment. i'll read your fab words here in a second but gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! favorite outfit EVER.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!