Thursday, July 12, 2012

Flower Palette

In this outfit:
Tank: J.Crew ($10-ish sale)
Skirt and bag c/o Ruche
Belt: came w/ a dress
Necklace: vintage/Avalong ($15)
Wedges c/o Lulu's

Where I wore it: To the office!

A common theme that pops up on here is the idea of versatility. When I add something to my closet, I like to think about how it will fit in with the rest (which is sort of funny because my closet seems to be a clash of pattern, with a handful of hard working basic pieces), I like to envision myself not only wearing it now, but wearing it into new seasons as well. When I saw this skirt, I knew it would go with at least a few different tops since the pattern incorporated blues, browns, and warmer colors. Plus, since those warm, rustic tones are mixed with lighter hues like light aqua, it will transition from summer to fall perfectly. Of course I can't expect every single item to be completely versatile, but I think it's a nice exercise, something to help make the absolute most out of my closet. I'm always curious to know what goes through people's heads when they shop, do you have specific criteria you like your clothes to meet?

The weather has been an absolute dream these past few days, no humidity with cool evenings. We've been spending a lot of time relaxing after work on our porch and walking through the neighborhood. The cicadas are insane and noisy, a whole different breed from the low buzz we'd occasionally hear back East, but I don't mind, I much prefer the cacophony of summer over the silent hush of winter (although you're likely to hear the exact opposite out of my mouth come December). With this pleasant weather, it's easy to understand why Pittsburghers love it here in the summer (maybe not so understandable in the 95 degree hell of last week) but I'll admit: it's been hard not to think of the ocean. And of our friends back home. I guess each summer has it's memories that you wish you could go back to.