Thursday, June 10, 2010

One year ago today...

It's my blog birthday!
I did my first blog post one year ago today! OG is one today, I really can't believe it! So much has happened in the past year, it's kind of amazing. When I first started this blog, I was searching for some kind of outlet for my interest in fashion and personal style, and also really needed to cut back on my spending. I figured that writing about what I already had in my closet would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone, and Orchid Grey was born! I got off to a shaky start but with the help of other bloggers like Jen and Krystal, slowly got the hang of it. Since then, I've found an amazing community of people and I have completely rediscovered my love for fashion, to the point where I want to make it my career. I honestly don't know what I would be doing right now if I hadn't started my blog, it sounds silly, but if I think about it, blogging has helped my motivation tremendously. I get out more and do more things, and I've actually taken some initiative in meeting people and gotten out of my typically shy and introverted shell.Throughout the past year, Orchid Grey has seen me through a rough travel season with work (the image above was taken in Belfast, Maine while I was traveling), various family turmoil, buying a new car (more on that later!), and now will be seeing me though a career change.
So while the past year has seen some definite changes, the next is sure to be filled with even more. Most notably for the moment: I am leaving my job at the college. Next week is my last week with the school, and I am both thrilled and incredibly stressed out (and a little sad, too). While I have enjoyed my time as an Admissions Counselor, I am also ready to move on and pursue what I love, which is not higher education. I am hoping to be able to grow my freelance career in photography and styling and am thinking about applying for Master's programs next Fall in Fashion Studies. So, haha, a lot is going on! Something I will not miss is the travel season, no more waking up at 4 am and no more sketchy hotels! I can actually make plans this Fall!
So, thank you to everyone who reads, follows, and comments on Orchid Grey. It means so much that people actually find what I'm writing and wearing interesting, this blog would be a much quieter place with out you and I hope you'll stick with me to see where the next year takes me. XOXO!