Thursday, November 19, 2009

Daily Style...

Maine is always on my mind...
Dress: American Apparel (49.00)
Scarf: Unknown... super old, probably free.
Belt: Gift from friend (thanks, Claudia!)
Tights: Vera Wang for Kohl's (7.00)
Boots: Jeffrey Campbell (39.00 sale)
I'm really digging this scarf look lately, it adds pattern and interest almost like jewelry would, but adds an unexpected twist. I wore this outfit up to Portland, Maine today to visit a high school for work, I wasn't expecting the day to go well because I left later than I wanted too, but everything ended up working out perfectly! I love days like today, and they sure have been few and far between lately!

I had two presentations scheduled for this school and about two hours in between them, it turns out that this high school is only a few blocks away from where my late Grandmother used to live, so I decided to take a drive by her house and around the neighborhood. It was kind of neat to see all the houses I remembered from when I was a little kid (I don't think I had been in her neighborhood since I was 14 or 15), and also to see that the new owners of her house hadn't changed much about it. Afterwards I made a quick stop at the Salvation Army that's down the street, I have such good memories of this area from when I was younger! My mom's stylish friend once took me to this Salvation Army when I was 12 (?), and I remember going there also as a teenager once I got my license. Both of my parents grew up in Portland and would always tell me about their memories of certain areas when we would drive through. Being in Portland always makes me miss Maine a lot, it's such a nice city!

To add to my good day, when I returned to my office this afternoon, I found out that my visit for tomorrow cancelled which means that I can get all of my paperwork done before I go to Philadelphia this weekend and before Thanksgiving break... and I also don't have to wake up at 5:00 am again! Yay!

37 comments:

Wear Necessities said...

Great outfit - I esp love the scarf and tights! - Natalya of Wear Necessities

grace said...

the pattern in the scarf almost mimics your hair!

Taylor Sterling said...

The colors are great! I love your unique style!

Clare said...

I really love the pop of red in the tights! And I'm oh-so-jealous of your Jeffrey Campbell boots!

Second Skin said...

I think I would like to do a tribute outfit to this outfit! It is just absolutely perfect and I think I have all the elements to make it happen! I will let you know when I do. You style is so inspirational to me. I am sure everyone tells you that millions of times a day, but, seriously and sincerely, I love your style.

Lexie said...

i love the way you belted that scarf! i have been wanting to attempt this recently myself..

Kyla said...

I so need to invest in some colorful tights! I love how you work them!

Lizzy said...

I've seen that scarf look a lot lately in the blogosphere, I think I should dip my toes in it :) Have a great day tomorrow, I love when stuff works out that way!

piglet said...

I love the idea of wearing a scarf like this, I must try it again! And it's so cute how your tights and belt match!

Gina said...

love it & i still can't get over how gorgeous your hair is!

Amy said...

This outfit looks amazing on you: love the colours!

alya said...

Perfect outfit! Enjoy Philly; I certainly do! ;)

myedit said...

Note to self--must wear scarf like so...

Sidewalk Chalk said...

I love this outfit. It looks patriotic with the colors but not overtly so. I really like the idea of belting a scarf. I've been seeing it everywhere this season!

Thanks for your lovely comment and thoughts on budgeting. The closet experiment is going well, I think. I'm trying to come up with new clothing combos and though it's been a push of my own creativity, I feel pretty inspired to create 'wearable art,' if that makes sense. Have a great weekend!

The Village Idiot said...

cool scarf!!

rani said...

i like how you style the scarf!!! flawless!!

chic said...

This looks awesome, you do the belted scarf so well! S.

abc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
penny said...

hello!i just discovered your blog via academichic and i followed you instantly!!amazing pictures and i love your style!
ps)same goes for your awesome collection of tights! :))

Amy said...

love love love this!!

xoxo
Amy

K said...

the scarf pattern totally does mimic your hairstyle! That looks so cool. I've been seeing this look all over the place and am still unsure of house I feel about it, but you look so awesome! And yay for not having to get up at 5!

E said...

That scarf is so gorgeous. I love how you layered this look.

Roberta Jane said...

The red tights look great. And I have that AA dress, going to have to try that combo!

Lilee said...

this look is so prettty! loving the boots and your hair! :)

chaoskontrolowany said...

Wow! You look amazing!

Julia said...

How have I never come across your blog before? You look STUNNING, and um, your hair? Like, the best hair in the world. So totally rad.

I'd love it if you'd check out my blog. I'm going to add you to my links list right now, and become a follower.

xx
Julia

Roxanne Rosensteel said...

Ooo, I love the colors of your outfit. And your hair is magnificent!

Diana said...

Beautiful outfit! I love those bright pops of red-orange.

vintagewithatwist said...

I love this outfit! I bought a shirt that looked like that and I couldn't pull it off at all! it looks great on you!

Second Skin said...

I just wanted you to know that I have properly paid tribute to this darling outfit on my blog. I have linked details back to yours so that people can see how brilliant you are. Thank you again so much!

Sabrina said...

Love your oufit, it is AMAZING!!

bisou-joue said...

love your outfit ! The colors are perfection !

Niki B. said...

saw this pic on This Time TOmorrow,
love your style!

x Niki
http://ahautemess.blogspot.com

jessie said...

i just popped over by way of this time tomorrow, and i LOVE your site.

i'm posting about you (and some others) over at my blog today. :) added you to my blog reader, too!

alexandra said...

i'm keeping the style chain going! you get the credit for starting it all-- look at how many people you've inspired!!

http://signaturestyles.blogspot.com/2009/11/lesson-1.html

xx

alexandra said...

oh geez, i put the wrong link in. duh. sorry, here it is for real:

http://signaturestyles.blogspot.com/2009/12/style-chain.html

The Book of Right-On said...

Know it was a while ago, but was inspired by you and the other girls that were inspired by this outfit. Loved the look so much I had to pinch your ideas! Check it out and let me know what you think...

http://thebookofright-on.blogspot.com/2009/12/style-chain-gang.html

Jealous of both your pussy cat and cushion in your latest post. Who said envy was a sin?!

Ele from Book of Right-On xx

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!