Tuesday, April 14, 2015

9 Cruelty-Free Beauty Essentials I Can't Live Without

 photo Orchid Grey Cruelty Free Makeup_zps8honkkzn.jpg
Save for a brief period towards the end of college, I've never been a huge make-up person. I didn't wear it at all in high school (except for a few overly made-up and somewhat tragic homecomings and proms), and even now, I tend to stick with the same look from day to day: fresh skin, some neutral shadow, cat-eye liner, mascara. I have my routine, but within that I love to try out different products, always in search of the perfect one. 

I've mentioned my preference for cruelty-free products before, and today I'm sharing a few of my favorite essentials that I've been using lately. I'm still working to transition my beauty cabinet to be entirely cruelty-free (it takes me forever to use up a product, and I'm unwilling to throw away perfectly usable things), but any new purchases must fill that criteria whenever possible. If you're working towards the same, this site has been incredibly helpful in providing information. Read on and let me know your recommendations in the comments!
 photo Orchid Grey Cruelty Free Makeup 4_zpsonpnc5po.jpg
S.W. Basics 3 Ingredient Cream: I became obsessed with this "cream" (really more like a solid-to-liquid oil) after receiving a sample at TXSC. I'm always hesitant to stray from my tried and true jojoba oil, which I use as a facial moisturizer, but after a nasty cold at the end of March, my poor, chapped nose needed some serious healing and hydration.This stuff did the trick in record time! I now use this primarily at night on my face for an extra boost of hydration, but it's also great to rub into lips and hands for extra healing.

VERB Ghost Oil: Another sample received in Texas, this weightless oil does amazing things to my hair. I apply this to the ends of my air-dried hair in the morning before giving it a quick blast with the hairdrier. It smooths, shines, and conditions, and most importantly, de-frizzes. It also smells incredible.
 photo Orchid Grey Cruelty Free Makeup 2_zpsbfdf6h97.jpg
Josie Maran Argan Oil Creamy Concealer Crayon: I'd been looking for a new concealer after finally using up the tube of my old stuff when I was introduced to this product. What I wanted was a creamy formula that went on smooth and stayed that way - no chalky consistency left beneath my eyes - and this easy to apply stick fit the bill. It goes on smooth, blends easily, and has the added benefit of argan oil. This also works perfectly when worn alone, blending into bare skin beautifully.

Urban Decay Naked Skin BB Cream: I've been using this BB cream for a couple of years now, and it remains my favorite. The 'medium' tone works very well for me, and I love how weightless this is.

To be clear, Urban Decay was recently acquired by L'Oreal, which is unfortunate because L'Oreal is a company that does test. BUT, Urban Decay remains cruelty-free, and as long as they stay that way, I will give them my business.

Pacifica Alight Multi-Mineral BB Cream: After running out of my last tube of UD, I picked this up at Target to take it's place. This formula offers slightly more coverage and has a pearlescent quality to it, so now that I've re-upped on Naked Skin, I mainly use this in place of foundation for when I'm dressing up or desire a little more coverage.

e.l.f. Small Stipple Brush: I love this little brush! I use it to apply BB cream before adding concealer, it blends easily and ensures none of the pigment is lost on my hands.
 photo Orchid Grey Cruelty Free Makeup 3_zpsimerto3f.jpg
Kat Von D Tattoo Liner: If you want a super sharp cat-eye, this liner is for you. It applies like a sharpie, comes out super dark, and the ultra pointy felt-tip means that you can get as dramatic as you'd like. Most of all, I love that this liner doesn't flake off.

Pacifica Stellar Gaze Mascara: I've been using this mascara since the fall and I swear, my eyelashes have never been healthier or longer. I've had issues in the past with formulas flaking off and even making my lashes brittle enough to break, but this stays put and conditions. I think you can tell by the state of the vial that this is well-loved!

Smashbox Photo Op Shadow Trio in Focal Point: I received this in a Lucky FABB gift bag a year or so ago and fell in love with the combination of neutral hues. I rarely wear any other colors of eyeshadow, because these just work so well from day to day.

It should be noted that, while listed as cruelty-free by PETA, Smashbox does state on their website that they do not test on animals except when required by law. They don't currently sell in China, so this language is slightly misleading and up to interpretation.
 photo Orchid Grey Cruelty Free Makeup 5_zps7q5xzsbz.jpg
+ Do you have a favorite cruelty-free brand?