Thursday, June 28, 2012

Primary

In this outfit:
Top: Thrifted ($5)
Skirt: Vintage/ Modern Millies ($18 c.2008)
Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell ($50 sale c.2009)
Bracelet c/o Lulu's

Where I wore it: To the office!

You know that supposed "rule" about cleaning out your closet that goes something like "if you haven't worn it in 6 months, get rid of it"? Well, I don't believe in that rule, and this skirt is my argument. The last time I wore this skirt was back in 2008, and it completely stumped me for some reason. I bought it because it reminded me of what a 70's art teacher would wear and I think I wore it for the first time with a bright yellow t-shirt, and looked and felt pretty awful about it. Anyways, all these years later, it works much better with a simple white top. I think they key is having basics, something that was actually lacking from my closet until very recently.

This is another one of my Malia of Honolulu skirts, the first one. I love the strawberry print and that it has pockets. And yes, whenever I wear it I can't help but feel like a 70's art teacher.

I guess the moral of this story is that if you have something that's been sitting in the back of your closet for years, pull it out and try looking at it with new, simplified eyes.