Monday, March 1, 2010

Over The Weekend: Trashy!

Not your usual over the weekend style file...
This is how I spent my Saturday night. I know what you're thinking, you're thinking "Is that...." yes, my skirt is made out of recycled shopping bags. Here, let me explain. Every once and awhile, something cool happens in my town: this weekend it was was the Third Annual Trashfinders Ball. What's the Trashfinders Ball? It's a ball that celebrates all those treasures discovered on the side of the road on trash day. It brings together both expert trashfinder and amateur dumpster diver, to dance, sing, and parade around in amazing homemade and recycled costumes. Chris and I were so excited to be able to go this year, and I was determined to make something cool. I whipped together this 1960's inspired skirt in about 2 hours, it's constructed out of a black garbage bag, about 50-60 Stop & Shop shopping bags, and duct tape...so much duct tape! I also made a black and gold rose for my hair out of a liqueur store bag and some nail polish. To keep the outfit from getting too busy (ha) I stuck with a neutral color scheme: a second-hand 1950's lace shell and second hand leopard print belt.
There is even a "Trashion Show" where everyone can show off their creations/ finds:
Secret time: one of those people above is my boss! Shhh!

Towards the end of the night, three of the year's best trash finds were raffled off, and guess what I won! A stretched and mounted rattle snake skin! Yesssss! For those of you who don't know, I am a BIG collector of kitsch, so this snake will look lovely in our living-room (much to the chagrin -I'm sure- of my mother and other visitors)...
The Trashfinders Ball also supports a worthy cause: The Harborlight Community Partners, a local organization that provides affordable housing to those in need. The event was so much fun, I can't wait until next year!

A big thank you to Chris for being the photographer of the evening!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!