Thursday, August 21, 2014

Worn: Stripes & Floral, In Maxi Dress Form

 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_August22_zpsc1956768.jpg
I bought this dress on our initial visit to Philadelphia. Justifying it as a sort of "Yeah! You got the job!" gift-to-self. I then proceeded to not wear it. For whatever reason. Despite all those facts, it makes me feel kind of amazing, and I wore it on Wednesday for our anniversary dinner at Twenty Manning. Three years, crazy and wonderful.

To be honest, I've been struggling a bit with self-confidence lately and I really needed an excuse to dress up and feel my best, and this dress was perfect for that. Adjusting to a new schedule, new city, new job, new everything, it's taken a small toll on my perception of myself. I started this year in a really positive headspace, so it's felt sort of defeating to take a step back mentally, in terms of how I view myself, and physically, as I haven't been able to get back into a gym routine yet. I'm working on it though. I just want to feel settled. I love our new place, really loving our new city, I love so much about our lives lately, but our place is still a disaster and I'm definitely still in the getting-to-know-you phase of meeting people. No matter how positively you go into a major change, especially a big move, it's going to be daunting in some respect. Always a few speed bumps.

As much as it causes a little mental distress, I do believe a little (or a lot) of upheaval is healthy every now and then. It gets you out of your comfort zone. With this move to Philadelphia, I've been making an effort to be more open. To try not to be so goddamn awkward and socially inept. Make note of the word effort in there. Man, are you ever just so aware of yourself? Ugh.

I've been getting rid of a lot of stuff lately, too. The extraneous stuff I've been holding on to, the clothes that don't make me feel amazing. It's got to go. Sometimes you just gotta clear up and clear out.

Get the look: Dress: Free People (on sale!) // Wedges: Flogg // Clutch: Vintage Coach //


Jeanne said...

So lovely!

Nitika Bhatia said...

You will be able to come back to your comfort zone soon dear! And you look lovely in this dress :)
New post up on my blog -

Hailey Cox said...

Beautiful! Moving is hard- it just takes time as you already know!

Alison Colby said...

This dress is amazing and you look insanely gorgeous in it. It was made for you!

I know you'll get back into the swing of things soon. I'm in a similar place myself where I can't admit the summeri s over and I've got to get cracking at grad school again. I've been in a funk, too, and just as eager to get out of it. We can do it!

XO Alison

myedit said...

It's a beauty dress, I'm going to need more pictures;)
And I hope you feel settled and back to yourself again soon!!! Maybe the company discount will help? That's terrible, I should not recommend retail therapy to solve all ailments...

Tamara said...

I love your honesty. Change can be good, but really hard at the same time. Happy Anniversary and that dress looks fabulous on you! :)


Nikki Williams said...

gorgeous dress. i'm sure things will get back to normal soon! transition periods are always tough


Dana said...

if you're looking for another place to wear that dress and celebrate a date night, go to Talula's Garden and request an outside table. it's so dreamy and delicious.

Bea said...

I am right there with you Julie!!! You've done it before and you'll do it again. I love you so much. Xo.

thotlady said...

I love Free People clothes, unfortunately their sizes only go up to 12. I am a little larger (14/16). So sad.

Helen said...

I know exactly where you're coming from with the 'why am I so socially inept sometimes?' thing - sometimes you're trying so hard not to be nervous, whilst wanting to frantically speed through the awkward getting-to-know-you phase, that whatever you say or do seems to come over all wrong. It's also easy to be hard on yourself because you're feeling displaced and unsettled, and you're probably not coming across as badly as you think. Remember that your move marks a great achievement for you, but it's also okay to make that transition in small steps while you adjust.
Having said that, I always think a good clear-out is very cathartic, even when you're not going through upheaval!

Brianna Mestre said...

This dress is fantastic!

chachamisu said...

Beautiful pattern and colors, like the colors of autumn, glad that it can boost your confidence.. I've been feeling about the same, I moved abroad 4 years ago and now I'm still struggling, though it is a nice town I'm living in. All the best for you. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!