Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Contempt-o

 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_July82014-5_zps6eacaf1f.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_July82014-6_zps31b02a39.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_July82014-3_zpsa2a22e1b.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_July82014-2_zpsae029100.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_July82014-1_zps9409fad3.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_July82014-4_zps2a0604cb.jpg
I am a sweaty mess. Right now I'm sitting amidst the rubble of our apartment, half of it in boxes, the other half scattered frenetically on the floor, shelves, etc. I didn't make myself dinner tonight, opting instead to drown my stress in ice pops. Moving is madness. This is always something I manage to forget as soon as we're settled in. Only to be remembered when the process repeats itself. There's no perfect way to do it, although I'd say we've become quite good at it. Worlds better than the disaster that was our move to Pittsburgh (which found us practically shoveling stuff into the back of a truck), at least. The cat has caught on, he's hiding in his carrier as if to ensure we won't forget him. He's been microchipped and is sporting a fancy new collar, I'm feeling paranoid about him somehow escaping and have been having cat-themed stress dreams for weeks.

I went on a last-hurrah thrifting date with my friend Bess this weekend, which was the perfect way to spend most of Saturday. I found a couple of tee shirts, a nice cashmere men's sweater (for $3!), a few little accessories, and a wealth of '90s floral dresses, this one included. I had a wave of nostalgia when I read the tag: Contempo Casuals. Oh how I loved that store as a pre-teen! My mom hated it. Going so far as to call it "Contempt-o".

I didn't wear this anywhere special, just to run to Home Depot and grab hotdogs with Chris, but it was a relief to get out of the cut-offs-and-tank uniform I've been sporting lately. Only one more day and we're in Philadelphia. Whoa.

Get the look: Dress & bag: Thrifted (similar & similar) // Sandals: Seychelles (c/o) // Necklaces: Black Crystals (c/o) // Sunglasses: Missguided (c/o) // Bracelet: Studebaker Metals

15 comments:

thedirtyknitter said...

Oh I can empathize with your packing!! Good luck! I loved Contmpo Casuals as well! They weren't around in Iowa in the late 80s, but when I visited my cousin in Dallas, I think I spent all my summer babysitting in that one store before going back to Iowa. A white eyelet bralette & sheer black & white button down baby doll top with bell sleeves are what I remember! I then proceeded to get in trouble at school for wearing the bralette under an oversized blazer. The sheer top took me through my first 2 Raves. Oh the memories!!

By The Shore, Life + Style said...

Julie, sorry I'm a little late to the party, but congratulations on your move & job change. I absolutely adore Free People and so exciting you're jumping on board with them. It's never easy making those big decisions but I applaud you for taking the leap... life is so much more fun when we're up for an adventure!! ♥ And... this outfit?! Gorgeous, gorgeous!! Must get to a thrift store stat, need more floral dresses in my life! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dearth means there was a scarcity...

fancyalterego said...

I'm in the middle of gearing up for a cross-country move, so I'm totally with you on this! My apartment is slowly looking more and more chaotic, and I just want it DONE already!

Hang in there!

Adrienne Scott-Trask said...

Beautiful look!
Love that dress and those shoes are perfect!
-Adrienne. xo

Citizen of the World
Citizen of the World

Check out my new online boutique!!
Wanderlust Boutique

Orchid Grey said...

Anon - whoops! Fixed! Thanks for letting me know :)

Jenna Condon said...

Congrats, that sounds so exciting to work with Free People! :) Love your hair style

http://abeautifulheart07.blogspot.com/

Destrehan's Daughter said...

I remember that store, too. I thought it was so cool. I'm also in the midst of packing up to move so I feel you on that one. I wonder every night when I accumulated so much stuff and how I can get rid of most of it. Good luck!

casaycocina said...

Wow, has it already been 2 weeks?! Best of luck with the move and everything! Did you settle on a neighb? You have to spend part of a Saturday afternoon at the Magic Gardens near the Italian Market. It's such a beautiful place!

XOXO
Annie

iris said...

After my last move, I realized that getting drunk was absolutely necessary for packing. Easier to make decisions, less easy to get overwhelmed by all the packing left to do!

Orchid Grey said...

Iris - I like your style

Marlen said...

Hahah I like Iris's style, too! And I feel your pain- whenever I move I think I throw out 30% of my stuff, just because I don't feel like dealing with it. Hopefully you're all done by now! Also love your hair. Teach us your curling wayz.

xo marlen
Messages on a Napkin

heather gilmour said...

This dress is adorable and looks great for the hot summer days!

End of tenancy cleaning Morden"

Kate @ GreatestEscapist.com said...

I missed the announcement(s) that you're moving to Philly. Huzzah! Moving is a pain in the ass, but that city is fantastic. I'm hoping to make it there more often now that I'm close (D.C.), & I'd love to grab coffee or a beer if you're game. Good luck with the move!

Nikki Williams said...

gorgeous dress!! and those sunnies are perfect!

xxoo,
nikki

www.dreaminneon.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!