Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Technicolor Dream

 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_March182014-3_zps7b925034.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_March182014-2_zpsf8bcb1cd.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_March182014-1_zps266ed287.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_March182014-5_zpsfcb670ce.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_March182014-6_zpse8150272.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_March182014-4_zps2c29747d.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_JulieSharp_March182014-7_zps2ebc6af9.jpg
There's a particular episode of Sex and the City - maybe season two or three? - where Carrie comes rushing into her apartment to answer the phone wearing the most incredible floor-length sweater coat. It has maybe ten seconds of air time, but I think it is, quite possibly, the most incredible thing worn throughout the entire show (which I know is saying something). So yeah, when I found this floor-length blanket coat at the thrift store this weekend, I was ecstatic. Chris was...skeptical, but nice enough to play along.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I watched a lot of SATC in college. The local library had all the seasons on VHS (up the the one that was currently on-air), and my roommates and I would watch it while working on various art homework. It's still one of my favorite things to put in while I'm working on something art-related, no attention is demanded, and I love how outdated and campy it is (yes, this implies I have it on DVD, and that implication would be true. Every season).

So, what better day to take this technicolor Carrie dream for a spin than a freezing, gloomy Sunday? Paired with all black and some pretty incredible heels, it cheered me up.

Wearing: Coat: Thrifted // Top c/o Lulu's // Jeans: J.Crew // Heels c/o ShopJuju's // Silver necklace: Estate Sale // Horn necklace: Free People // Sunglasses: Urban Outfitters

12 comments:

Gwen said...

That is, hands down, the most fabulous coat I have seen in my life! Love how you let it "shout the loudest" by wearing it over an all-black outfit. I hope we get to see you style it in other ways, too? ;)

Emily Baker said...

yup, agree with gwen. most fabulous coat i've seen in my life. even better than carrie's.

colormebrazen said...

Once again rocking straight-up '70s gaudiness. LOVE it! :)

iris said...

That is an impressive coat!

My boyfriend used to watch SATC. He's seen more episodes than me. Who knows why.
Then again, I've probably seen more "Walker, Texas Ranger" than him. Three cheers for TV that takes no attention to "watch."

Rhiannon Lorenzo said...

you look SO amazing! that coat is the best thing i have ever seen.

www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

Andra Costa said...

this is certainly a unique coat. Love your shoes though :D

The Littlest Smitten said...

Julie great score! Jealous!

kari said...

That coat is nuts and amazing. Love it, especially the button on the collar.

Anonymous said...

Those heels make my heart hurt. SO GREAT!

Seeking Style said...

Loving this whole look!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyeblog.wordpress.com

Apneet Kaur said...

beyond in love with your coat!

robyn said...

This whole outfit is amazing. That is a good thrift store find! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!