Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My (Almost) All Natural Skincare Routine

 photo -1_zps30ebf320.jpg

I (semi) recently shot a series detailing the products I use on a daily basis and my general routine. And then I realized that my routine changes constantly! Ha! It's taken me awhile, but I seem to have landed on a pretty solid combination of products and habits, so over the next couple of weeks, I'll be sharing my routine and what I use for hair, make-up, and skin care.

Today, I'm sharing my daily skin-care regimen and the products I use on my face and body. Up until last March, I typically used much harsher cleansers to deal with deep-seated blemishes on my face and exercise-related skin problems, I would usually then have to compensate somehow for the dry patches those products left behind. After cleaning up my diet (and by 'diet', I mean what I eat day to day) - eliminating most dairy, sugar, and processed foods and upping my water intake by a lot - most of my skin problems went away, which was super freaking awesome and made life so much easier. To me, forgoing certain foods (cheese and milk) is worth it just to not have to fight my skin on a daily basis. So, that's what I do for the inside of my body, and this is my routine for the outside:

Wake up: I don't use cleanser on my face in the AM, usually just a few very reluctant splashes of freezing cold water to wash the sleep from my eyes and stimulate my skin, or sometimes I'll do the exact opposite and use a steaming hot washcloth to massage my face (I'm not sure how great this is for my skin, but I like it anyways).

Treat: I received a sample pack of Boscia products at Lucky FABB in November, and I've been using the Clear Complexion Gel in the mornings. Despite my skin clearing up significantly, I still have some blemishes from time to time. These products contain no preservatives or sulfates, and so far have been working really well, I'll be investing in them once the set runs out.

Moisturize: This winter has been so harsh, a friend at work turned me on to Egyptian Magic, and it has been a savior this season. I use a pea-size amount, first warming it on my hands and then massaging onto my face. Since it's a little greasy, I do this right when I wake up to allow it time to soak in while I make coffee and eat breakfast. Once it has soaked in a little, it provides a smooth base for my make-up. It is more of an oil than a cream though, so it may not be right for those will oil-prone skin. I love it though. In the summer, I use Alba Botanica Even Advanced with SPF.

Remove makeup: Always. I've never understood how anyone can sleep with makeup on. It takes 30 seconds to remove it, and it's better for your skin. Seriously. This has been built into my routine forever since I shower at night (I work out in the evenings, so this just makes sense, but I also cannot understand why anyone would want to go to bed with dirty feet). I've been using a bit of coconut oil on a cotton ball for this lately, which seems to work better than anything else at removing Benefit 'They're Real' Mascara, which is some serious shit.

Cleanse: I've been using Boscia Clear Complexion Cleanser, from the same set I previously mentioned, and I love it. I saw a noticeable difference in my skin's texture after just a few uses, plus it's great at removing any excess makeup (and, magically, also amazingly good at removing Benefit mascara). After, I spray my face, neck, and back with the Clear Complexion Tonic. For body, I like African black soap, though I'm not tied to a brand (I want to try this one next). Because of my gym routine, I'm still prone to occasional breakouts on my chest and back, but black soap does a really great job of keeping me clear naturally with no harsh astringents or cleansers.

Moisturize: For body and for face (at night), I use coconut oil. It goes on smooth, smells amazing, lightens scars, heals etc. etc. to infinity (just Google "benefits of coconut oil" for millions of articles extolling its virtues). I scar really easily (I have some cat scratches that look like stab wounds), and since I've started using coconut oil, many of my darkest scars have lightened significantly. Just be sure to do a patch test on the back of your hand to make sure you're not allergic before using, and always purchase organic virgin coconut oil. Also, be aware that you will smell slightly like an Almond Joy bar at all times.

+this is what works for me, opinions expressed are my own. I do not claim to be an expert and recommend consulting a doctor or dermatologist if you're unsure about making any major changes to your routine. But yeah, coconut oil, check it out.


Jessica Rose said...

Do you use the coconut oil on your hair at all?


Naomi said...

I have been using the Benefit mascara too and notice I have been losing eyelashes when I take my make up off with Mary Kay eye make up remover. Do you find this happening to you at all?? I am considering a new mascara but if coconut oil works better, I might try that.

xoxo, The Occasional Indulgence

Nicole said...

I will try the coconut oil- I put it in my bleached hair at night and I have very little damage.

By the way, I LOVE your blog- your style is amazing and you are gorgeous!

Orchid Grey said...

Jessica - I don't use it on my hair actually. Despite my hair being super thick, it's also very fine, and I find coconut oil to be just a little too heavy.

Naomi - I've noticed that as well when I use over the counter makeup remover. I think it could be caused by the rubbing of a cotton ball? Not sure, though my lashes don't seem thinner. I love Benefit, but I think I'm going to try Urban Decay when my current tube runs out.

Nicole - I've heard it does wonders for bleached hair. And thank you so much! xo

Jordyn said...

Thanks for sharing! Im going to have to look into this stuff. I recently started using the clinique 3 step, which is great! But would love to use more natural products.
Pretty Lovely

Emily Baker said...

i dont know how people wear makeup to bed either!!!! i have to have it off my face!

Rebecca said...

ooh I really want to try Egyptian Magic! I had better stock up on some coconut oil too. :)
Rebecca @ tr[i]b[e]cca

Joanne Sakellaropoulos said...

I just saw Egyptian Magic at Costco today & was curious about it, and I love coconut oil! I use it for so many things. It even makes a great scrub in the shower if you mix in some raw sugar or coffee grounds. I swear by Urban Decay Big Fatty mascara, and it comes off really well with coconut oil :)

Vera said...

I love this post- thank you for sharing. I need to try the coconut oil.


Paulette Hughes said...

I loved the Boscia products we got at LuckyFABB too - especially the lightweight moisturizer. I saw that Kate Hudson uses the Egyptian Magic cream as well. I thought about trying it myself. I'm a skincare product junkie, so thanks for this post!

Good Luxe Vintage said...

I stopped eating all dairy back in January. As a vegetarian, I relied on cheese quite a bit. My skin has never looked better. It's been worth it for me. Glad it's been working for you too.

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

ha, i'm glad you said that about the dirty feet! i really can't comprehend it either, or why it seems everybody nowadays wants to go to bed dirty just to wake up earlier than necessary to be clean. going to bed fresh is the best :). and coconut oil - yay! i have some great natural moisturizer that i'm trying to use up first but next on my list is to try coconut oil for my face since i keep hearing such good things and already use it in cooking/smoothies. i also swear by vitamin e (i had some crazy wrinkles that are seriously better now than 2 yrs ago), previously diff all natural creams, and now just a serum i mix w/ my moisturizer before bed.

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

oh also a tip for eye makeup remover (reading the comments above), my mom told me to use baby oil to save money, which i did for years but then realize ewww it's petroleum. so now i keep a tiny container i filled w/ olive oil in the bathroom and have little squares of handkerchiefs i've cut & just throw in the wash.

Alison Colby said...

This is awesome, thank you! I recently got introduced to Egyptian Magic myself and now want to slather my entire body in it all the time.

XO Alison

Glenn Lowe said...

You can never go wrong with trying natural skin care products. They are quite gentle on the skin. So there’s no worry, especially for those who have sensitive skin. But then, the most important thing to note is trying to follow the regimen itself, regardless of the kind of products one is using.

Glenn Lowe @ Knight and Sanders

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!