Tuesday, November 5, 2013


 photo OrchidGrey_November062013-4_zpsde158012.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_November062013-6_zpsfa815645.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_November062013-5_zps68ee514a.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_November062013-3_zps3a1130e5.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_November062013-2_zps4c4fc9cd.jpg
Photos by Elizabeth

I wore this to: St. Louis Fashion Week  

I know, my trip to St. Louis was literally weeks ago. Well, here's the last of it friends, this is what I wore for brunch at Saks and lunch at Neiman Marcus. This outfit reminded me a bit of Gloria Steinem. Maybe it was the glasses. For a day spent out of my comfort zone, I needed all the extra confidence I could muster, Gloria was my spirit animal for the day. Both stores were wonderful hosts and held amazing events for us bloggers, but I'm not going to lie, when I visit large department stores -- especially those that cater to high-end fashion -- I feel completely, undeniably out of place. And that's ok, it's pretty much me making myself uncomfortable. I'm more of a polyester cat-dress, thrifted Bongo boots kind of girl.

That's right, I'm wearing Bongo. My 90's pre-teen self is swooning. I snatched up these black booties at the Savers shopping event held for us during STLFW, and had to laugh when I saw the brand. I remember coveting Bongo jeans and shoes in middle school, most likely due to a persuasive ad in YM or Teen magazine. There's something so satisfying about answering the question "who makes your boots?" with the reply, "thanks! I got them at Savers for five bucks, they're Bongo!"

What I wore:
Necklace: Moorea Seal (gift)
Boots: Thrifted via Savers
Sunglasses: shop in Austin
Bracelet: Thrifted


Purple Ivy said...

Love love this dress. The prints are absolutely stunning.Love how you paired it with the boots.


Adrienne Scott-Trask said...

Great outfit!!
This dress is amazing on you!!
-Adrienne. xo

Citizen of the World
Citizen of the World

m(i)e said...

what a great dress!!!
But i wouldn't wear it with black shoes.

17 beats. said...

YOU KILLED IT ! great look.

i remember an older 'cool girl' wearing Bongos when i was like 14 ... oh, how i wanted them.

Catherine said...

This dress and you were made for each other!

Natasha Janzen said...

This is amazing!!!! I have no other words for this outfit :) haha

Heidi said...

Loving the 70's vibe. You look beautiful. xo Heidi http://fabricandfrosting.blogspot.no/

Erin Thomas said...

I love everything about this, but THAT DRESS.

Meredith Atkinson said...


Kai-Li said...

what a cute dress!
very vintage!


Tania Franco said...

I love your honesty as a blogger, and could totally relate to the feeling you get at a high end store.


Olivia said...

Not many people can pull off round glasses, I'm quite jealous that you can!

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

I love how you can take 90's Bongo boots though and look incredibly classy in them, and a dress w/ cats all over haha. the print is so perfect, so wild but so classy in some way. the fit on you is perfect and most importantly, i love how not only aren't you afraid to admit you felt out of place there, but that you're proud of your thrifting - yay secondhand!
Cuddly Cacti
Mitla Moda

Sonya Mann said...

Glasses inspiration for SURE

Laura Whitman said...

This dress is just so gorgeous - like it was made for you! And those shoes are just so fantastic - I would have loved those back in the day. Who am I kidding? I would love that now!


Jennifer said...

Absolutely beautiful!

xo Jennifer


Rachel // Mousevox said...

Ahh! Finally getting around to leaving a comment to tell you, once again, how stunning you look in this dress and to send a big thanks your way for this post in general. It always makes me so happy to see my vintage in action!

On a related note, I was recently gifted a Bloomingdales gift certificate that instantly made me feel kind of anxious for the same reasons you've mentioned here. I couldn't bring myself to even go to their actual store, so I ended up shopping online & it STILL felt weird!

Megan said...

This look is perfect! Love your attitude towards shopping, too :) I would have felt the same way at stores like that.

<3 Megan

Rehan Ahmed said...

Online Jobs, work from home, part time online jobs, just join any where in the world

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!