Tuesday, October 8, 2013


Orchid Grey October 3-3 photo OrchidGrey_October32013-5_zps7fcedf4c.jpg
Orchid Grey October 3-6 photo OrchidGrey_October32013-7_zpsef53f872.jpg
Orchid Grey October 3-5 photo OrchidGrey_October32013-6_zps945e0f34.jpg
Orchid Grey October 3-4 photo OrchidGrey_October32013-3_zps2d2099be.jpg
Orchid Grey October 3-2 photo OrchidGrey_October32013-4_zpsb7798cde.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_October32013-2_zps09c5ce8c.jpg
If there's one trend I am in full support of this year, it's the return of the Birkenstock. I know, to some -- maybe even most -- these sandals are the exact opposite of stylish, but I love them for the utilitarian vibe they lend to outfits and for the fact alone that they are, indeed, the most comfortable shoes I could possibly put on my feet. I picked up this white pair from Amazon a few months ago (the all white is only available if ordered internationally), and after treating them with a dirt-repellent, wore them all summer, they've been all over Austin, San Francisco, and Seattle.

To avoid looking too stereotypical (by which I mean too much like myself in 1998), I've been pairing my Milanos with simple, clean outfits, nothing too complicated or fussy. Ankle length jeans, a crisp -- if slightly wrinkled -- shirt, and a few bracelets. It's an easy outfit to replicate, and one that was ideal for touring the Frick in Pittsburgh.

What I wore:
Jacket: Vintage
Shirt: Saturdays Surf / Thrifted
Jeans: J.Crew sale
Sandals: Birkenstock Milano
Bracelets: Thrifted

I wore this to: Tour the Frick house


Rhiannon Lorenzo said...

love those birkenstocks! the white was a great choice!


Sondra Primeaux said...

I think I need to know what lipstick you're wearing!

Michal said...

Wearing my birks as we speak. I've been given so much shit over the years from friends but they're my favorites! Love this simple laid-back look. It's basically all I've been going for lately.

Gwen said...

I love that you're a Birkenstock fan! I have the closed-toe "clog" ones in olive green, and I just love them. Pricey, but so worth the investment! It makes me happy to see you promoting your Birkenstocks when so many bloggers make fun of them!:)

Justine Johnson said...

Has anyone ever told you that you look a bit like Alanis Morissette? :)

Heidi said...

I love the short sleeve chambray! So cute. xo Heidi

Mallory said...

Glad to see someone in support! I (accidentally, I SWEAR) cut my mother's toe off when I was little. A lawnmower accident. Birkenstocks became the go to shoe that allowed her foot to be comfortable and I've always had a crush on the look of them, but never felt anyone agreed!

Sarah said...

I've never been a fan of Birkenstock's, but am totally reconsidering after seeing how you styled them. Love everything about this outfit especially the button down with the rolled up short sleeves. I think you nailed this outfit!!



Lindsey Louise Bales said...

oh gosh, i do love your birkenstock's! i bought a pair about a year ago and i adore wearing them. i love your style!

lindsey louise


Haiku Ambulance said...

Dang, dude. You really pull those Birks off well.

Maybe I'm traumatized from growing up in Boulder, CO? Who knows, but I truly just don't think I could do it myself. Again, you rock them beautifully and I am frankly blown away. I just... Yeah. 1998.

Maybe the white makes all the difference. Oh, Julie. You're swaying me.

Jennifer said...

Only you could make Birkenstocks look so good!

xo Jennifer


Jorge Eduardo Quintero Mejía said...

Hello, Orchid Gray.

I love how your Birkenstocks look on you!

I'm a man, and I own a pair of Milano Birkenstocks, but they're dark brown, and I love how my feet look in them, not to mention they're so comfy; I usually wear them with jeans and a polo shirt (or a T-shirt), and I sometimes think I would wear sandals 24/7 if it were for me.


George Queue

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!