Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Girlish, Boyish

 photo OrchidGrey_May212013-7_zps63a16704.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_May212013-4_zps6a6fce03.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_May212013-6_zps3a510277.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_May212013-5_zpsdf2287a5.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_May212013-1_zps94bafe00.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_May212013-2_zps7af00f51.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_May212013-3_zps21b38dca.jpg

What I wore:
Tee, Bracelet, & claw ring  c/o Lulu's
Shorts: Urban Outfitters ($14 in-store sale)
Shoes: Bass/ Thrifted ($5 - similar)
Beaded necklace: Swapped
Skull necklace: gifted skull charm & flea market crystal
Flower ring: shop in Beverly ($11)
Midi band: Urban Outfitters ($6)
Coral ring: Vintage ($6)

I wore this to: avoid coming into contact with stadium seating.

There are many unpleasant feelings in the world, one of them happens to be when you're wearing shorts, or a skirt or dress, and your legs cement themselves to whatever it is you're sitting on. Extra points if you're sitting on some sort of public seating, like at a ball park. Which is where I was on Sunday for a Pirates game. Long shorts solve this problem, it's a pretty good solution as long as you don't mind feeling a little bit like your high school self for a day. Or maybe you weren't consistently mistaken for a boy in your younger years.

While this outfit does remind me a little of my high school self- giant skate shoes and tent-like hoodie not included- I was actually inspired by Beth of B. Jones Style who can rock a pair of mens pants/shorts/overalls like no one's business. I found these shorts randomly hanging on the women's rack in UO this weekend, thought to myself "what would Beth do?", and decided to take a chance. And I'm glad I did, and while this look was admittedly outside of my comfort zone, I've found the solution to that is just piling on jewelry. You know that quote that says you should take one thing off before leaving the house? I disagree, I say pile it on.


Andrea Kerbuski said...

Yes, I can totally see the inspiration! You rock a long pair of shorts so well and that makes so much sense. That is the worst, gross feeling when your legs stick to public seating.

Adrienne Scott-Trask said...

Great post!!
Loving those shorts and those shoes!
-Adrienne. xo

Citizen of the World
Citizen of the World

Heather P. said...

I totally dig B. Jones' style too! After spending a week on vacation getting my legs stuck to all sorts of vinyl seating, I'm starting to come around to the idea of longer shorts - now, if only I could be a little bit taller, and they wouldn't look so dumb on me...haha!

This outfit looks perfect for a warm summer day - and yes, it reminds me of a lot of the stuff I wore in high school. My boobs were way too big for me to get mistaken as a boy...but it didn't stop me from wearing any of it!

Bea said...

Homegirl, your writing is off the hook. Fah riz ya mad talented kid.

Orchid Grey said...

Bea, thank you for using all of those words in such a short sentence, talk about talent, amirite? Also, I feel obligated to just say something so people know that I know you. I love you.

jessthetics said...

I love all your accessories! Your shorts are really cool. There's nothing wrong with feeling like your teenage self every now and again xx


salemstylecrochet.com said...

great post! haha yeah I hate that exposed leg feeling when you sit (especially in public)

<3 Lianna J @ Salem Style Crochet

The Photogramps said...

You seem to be a master at layering jewelry! Love it. Your side swept hair is lovely too! I just noticed your Annie Lennox post. She is seriously my HERO. Obsessed with Diva, still jam that album so hard!
Glad to have found your blog!!

Jennifer said...

Your accessories are spot on!

xo Jennifer


colormebrazen said...

Your facial structure pulls off androgyny really well.

Gwen said...

I like your man shorts! And your piles of bling - the simple outfit sets it off so nicely!

Tabet said...

great post and an amazing outfit. I love your shorts.


SoapiUk said...

I love your hair! You look so beautiful


I really like all your necklace and ring layering!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!