Friday, August 31, 2012

Color Me Rad & Friday Favorites


How do I sum up the Color Me Rad race other than to say...it was rad! For years I've been telling myself- and everyone else around me- that running was off the table because of my arthritis, but I've recently redefined what I believe possible for myself and have been running/jogging outside of the gym for the past few months. I won't be running any marathons any time soon, I'm just happy to get out of the gym and feel I've reached a happy medium of running outdoors (so nice after being inside at the office all day), and lifting weights at the gym, indoors. This race was the perfect introduction to 5k's- it was fun, I was surrounded by energetic and happy people, and it was a great gauge for my endurance...plus, there was the added bonus of being pelted with cornstarch pigment. So that was awesome. I'm really excited to run more, and would love to do Run for Your Lives, but it's tomorrow and I'm not sure I'm up for that tomorrow. Maybe next year. Have any of you ever done it?

Anyways, I don't have a ton of pictures because everyone I was with was on my team and running. I joined up with a few co-workers, and one thing we all learned was to take one car next year! The traffic was INSANE. Also, wear sunglasses. I'm so glad I wore sunglasses.

Are you excited for Labor Day weekend? I'm super stoked to have a whole two days off in a row with Chris, we're planning on going on a polka cruise (seriously), and maybe a longer hike somewhere as long as the weather holds up.

Here are a few things I'm loving from around the web this week:

These Chelsea boots from Lulu's. Lulu's is hosting 7 days of sale this week, with a new sale each day. Head over to the Lulu's Facebook page to find out what's on sale today!  

This bat top from Spotted Moth is so cute! It's the perfect alternative to the cutesy animal prints that are all over the place right now.

Ruche is also hosting a big labor day sale! Ruche is also hosting one of their largest giveaways yet: starting September 4th you can enter to win one dress a month- for a year! Stay tuned to the Ruche website for details!

This necklace from InfinEight is so unique, I love the contrast of stone and metal.

This knit mini-dress from Bluesville, USA is perfect for fall! Add some knit tights and knee-high 70's boots- perfection! Receive 15% off your order with the code "orchidgrey"!

A rap. About thrifting. (scroll down, there's a video) I can't stop listening to it, all I want to do is go thrifting now.

These spike earrings are insanely awesome.

This hooded cape would be perfect for an early fall walk through the woods.

Sweater love: One. Two. Three.

I will be making these this weekend.

Three more things that I will be adding to my food repertoire. (I love chia seeds!)

Have a great long weekend!

12 comments:

jackie said...

love all the sweaters. I'm so excited for cozy clothes, even though I'm DREADING winter.

and woo for 5k's! the Color Run looks like so much fun :)

Amanda said...

I've been dying to do the Color Run! I'm hoping to be able to do it next year out in Phoenix while I am visiting family out for the holidays!

Moorea Seal said...

Yay! Go you!
I've always avoided running because I have really achy and sensitive joints and i was afraid I would hurt myself. But I decided I needed to try and I bought some nice running shoes and got some special insoles made, because I have crazy high arches. And just doing that helped my achy hips and legs SO MUCH. If you do get back into running, make sure you go to a good store that specializes in running shoes to get a pair that will support your body well with lots of bounce. And I SO recommend getting custom insoles. There are places where they will mold insoles to perfectly fit your feet for running, they watch you run, measure your feet, measure your arch, where you place your feet when you run, all that jazz. And the insoles have completely gotten rid of my back and hip pains when I run. halleluia!

have you ever looked into how foods effect arthritis? I have a feeling I'm going to have really abd arthritis as I get older because my mom has horrible rheumatoid arthritis. But she recently got a food allergy test and discovered that a lot of foods she was allergic to were contributing to her arthritis! I'm desperate to get a food allergy test to see if I can at least slow down my road to arthritis.

xo Moorea

RoselyC said...

Congrats on the run, it looks great. Love the Lulu booties!

Meggs said...

I am doing this run tomorrow in San Jose!! I cant wait!!!

nicola lynde said...

Every time I see photos from Colour me Rad I can't help but think about how much crazy fun it looks like. Congrats on the run. Fitness is one of those things I always feel like I put off 'until I'm a grown-up' but sadly I think those days have long since arrived....

The Littlest Smitten said...

Love that thrift wrap. Laura Febonio sent me it to me a few days ago. It's so fucking awesome!

The Littlest Smitten said...

Oops I meant rap. He! He!

Cassandra Too said...

Omg the pictures are so cute! :D Love it! :D

Btw, please take some time to check out this new Bloggers Against Social Injustice network where fashion bloggers come together to make this world a better place.

You can join in the fun by participating in events organized by the Bloggers Against Social Injustice committee & also at the same time spread the words of such good cause.

Play your part & help those unheard voice be heard. You are just a click away! :)

Website: http://bloggersagainstsocialinjustice.blogspot.com
Facebook: Click here for our Facebook
Twitter: Click here for our Twitter

I hope to see you there! :)
Cassandra
backtofive.blogspot.com
Bloggers Against Social Injustice

Caitie Schlisserman said...

omg that's the most amazing run I've ever seen!!! kind of obsessed.

xxx
www.ladyalamode.com

Dusty Soles said...

I've never heard of colour me rad before but it looks so much fun. what a great idea.

Sarah said...

Yay, Mod Squad! Wish I could have joined!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!