Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What Makes You Happy?

 

If you've been reading this blog long enough, you may recognize the image above from my days on the road as an admissions counselor. I can't believe it's only been since 2010 that I haven't worked for The College, two years isn't that long, yet it feels like an eternity. I was looking back through the folders on my desktop and came across some of the first outfit shots I did, it's like looking at a different person. What's funny is that- three years later- I still have (and wear) many of the same pieces, it's interesting how some clothing can grow with you, and some can't- or shouldn't. There are the pieces that used to be ubiquitous to me, somewhere along the line they were donated and forgotten about- most for good reason. 

I love looking through old photos, whether mine or belonging to someone else. After seeing all of these 'on the road' pictures, I was reminded of something I used to do to either pass time before college fairs, or make myself feel better in a moment of traveling loneliness: make 'happy' lists. Just a list of things that bring happiness, a reminder of all that I have to be thankful for. I'm not actually feeling lonely right now, quite the opposite (it's hard to feel lonely when there's a cat staring you down in the corner), but I'm going to do it anyway, and I hope you'll share what makes YOU happy too...

Coffee and pie
Moody's Diner is a Maine institution, and- so far- the only diner I've found that perfects the coffee-and-pie-at-a-diner scenario. Unfortunately, it's all the way up in Waldoboro, so even while we lived in New England we rarely found ourselves up there, but a friend is getting married near by this summer! That means at least two stops will be made: one stop on the way, and one stop on the way back.

My morning routine
For a long time after we moved, I struggled with getting up on time in the AM. I'm not sure if it's the earlier sunrise of summer or I'm just becoming more acclimated to my new schedule, but my mornings have been awesome lately: breakfast, cat-time, coffee.

Parking at a full meter
There's metered parking at the gym I go to, and I am so bad at carrying quarters with me. It's like a little gift to pull up to a meter that still has time on it.

Summer
I love summer and warm weather for so many reasons (don't we all?). Lately I've been especially appreciating how easy it is to get dressed and out the door on time in the mornings.

Reading
I used to read all the time, and then my schedule during the end of 2010 and throughout 2011 became insane and I would just crash into bed at the end of the day. I finally got myself a library card a couple of months ago, and it's been so nice to get back in the habit.

Chris and Cats
Cats and Chris. 'Nuff said.

Have a happy Wednesday! 

17 comments:

george_7717 said...

Great list! A good idea especially for hump day...

Here are a few of mine:

Saving up for something - When I find something that I really like and needs a few months' savings in order to purchase, I love stashing away money and then the final gratification when you have enough and you can afford to splurge.

The middle of my run - I run through a local park and although I live in an urban area the middle section of my run goes along the top of a ridge in a field overlooking the rest of the park. It gets no traffic noise and I can pretend I'm out of the city!

Living on the third floor - I live in a flat at the top of my block and whilst there are some drawbacks (no garden!) I love the light my home gets being high up. I also like people watching when I'm washing up as the kitchen window lets me watch the street below.

George

Alice, Pretty Confused said...

This is really funny, I started a new weekly feature on my blog today called 'happiness is...' where I come up with one thing that has made me really happy lately. Great minds think alike! I think it is really important to spend just a little bit of time focussing on something that you are grateful for.

And in case you were wondering, this week I am happy about my puppy having fun swimming. Great post xo

Birta said...

Love this idea. I do this regularly to remind me of all the good things in life. My list in short:

*My nine year old cat
*My 18 month old dog
*My wonderful husband and all the little things about him
*A good chocolate milkshake
*Freshly painted fingernails
*Hearing my best friend laugh
*Seeing my mom smile
*Using a dictionary (there's something about flipping through a huge dictionary that makes my heart sing)
*Biographies of everyday people and documentaries about everyday things

HATTIE AND THE JETS said...

My favorite things:

-Cat apparel (I will be one of THOSE old women, I'm sure.)

-When the house is lit only by daylight and dusk.

-All things sweet and delicious (I'm not sure if other people other than my family does this, but I always catch myself doing a small wiggle dance with I'm eating something particularly tasty :))

-Sheer tunics. I'm all about them.

-Top knot buns. They're the bomb.dot.com

-Last but not least, black leggings. Call me bland, but they go with everything.


Love your blog. Such a fun site. :)

XOXO JET

Kate said...

I love love this post.


List of a few things that bring a smile to my face:

*My cat
*Coffee dates
*Best Friends
*Sleep
*Reading
*Painting
*Writing letters
*Blogging
*Wine

K said...

My happy list goes like this today:
I'm so glad I save half my lunch yesterday, because I forgot to pack anything along to work with me. So realizing I had half a sub in the fridge made me and my stomach much happier.

I love my new little puppy! My friends and I rescued a hit and run dog a couple weeks ago and he's finally healed enough to be home. I think its safe to say that lonely feeling I've been dealing with, is because I didn't have puppy cuddles every morning and night!

Chocolate. Always, always makes me happy. Even when I'm not eating it. Just knowing it's in this world makes me light up inside (chocoholics anonymous anyone?).

My friends. I am so very blessed to have the friends I do. I love them and I love who they've helped me to become.

abby said...

We need more people like this on the internet:)
What makes me happy

1. new art supplies
2. a drive thru starbucks (then I can get my fix and keep the kids in the car)
3. wedges
4. when you capture a moment on camera that is perfect

http://nateandabbyclark.blogspot.com/

Jenni Austria Germany said...

ooh, parking at a full meter. that's a good one.

The Braided Bandit said...

Such a nice post to read! Not to mention that pie and coffee looks amazing A few of the things that make me happy are:

-A really good find at a thrift store, and the slight confusion after of "How can this still be here!"

-A really large burrito after a really long day.

-Stopping to pet kitties on the street.

-Surprising people with small gifts and acts of kindness for no particular reason.

-Being near the water in summertime. Especially with a big blanket and a good book!

Anonymous said...

Friendly neighborhood cats, some sun after days of rain, getting stuff done and checked off the list! Thank you for this- its great to remember what's good in life! :)

Johanna said...

It's really funny to read your blog post about "happy lists" because I just started a little "happy diary" in the beginning of the month and planning a weekly "what makes me happy" post for my blog because I noticed that I focus too much on what's not going well and I just wanted to concentrate on all the little things that do go well and make me happy.
So, here's my list for today:

*spending time with friends
*the smell and taste of strawberries
*seeing my (pregnant) belly grow
*hear my babies heartbeat
*getting things done
*planning new projects
*a cup of coffee in the morning
*sleeping in a freshly made bed
*sunshine in the morning

Johanna said...

It's really funny to read your blog post about "happy lists" because I just started a little "happy diary" in the beginning of the month and planning a weekly "what makes me happy" post for my blog because I noticed that I focus too much on what's not going well and I just wanted to concentrate on all the little things that do go well and make me happy.
So, here's my list for today:

*spending time with friends
*the smell and taste of strawberries
*seeing my (pregnant) belly grow
*hear my babies heartbeat
*getting things done
*planning new projects
*a cup of coffee in the morning
*sleeping in a freshly made bed
*sunshine in the morning

The Littlest Smitten said...

Love this post! Couldn't have had more perfect timing for me today as I was stressing about stuff and trying to remind myself how lucky I am and how I should be grateful for all that I do have. Just a few things that make me-
*Snuggling with my cat in the morning after David has fed her and she's decided she wants to back to sleep with me
*Talking or seeing old friends after its be awhile and having it be like no time ever passed
*Sending and receiving snail mail
*Ice coffee being served again in the spring after the cold winter
*Eating meals on the porch when the weather is good

HoodooVoodoo said...

Things that make me happy:
my pooch, my cats, playing fetch with my dog, vanilla ice cream with sprinkles, cooking, going out for breakfast, weight lifting, nights in, marathoning tv shows, and enjoying the sun!

Amanda said...

I absolutely love Moody's dinner. Anytime my fiance and I go up to Maine to visit his family we stop by. I think half of his family actually worked there when they were younger.

Every little bit we get done on the house makes me oh so very happy, even though it's a very slow process!

Kim said...

I love Moody's diner! I lived in Damariscotta/Newcastle when I was a little kid, and a trip to Moody's with Grandma was always a big treat because they had the fried chicken I liked. It's been years since I last went there though :(
Some things that have made me happy lately are Blue Moon Beer summer sampler packs, the way that small insects catch the light when the sun is going down, char siu bao from Charlottesville, and going through all the books unearthed as my parents move into their new house.

E. said...

I love this post! I'm going though a transition right now, which is exciting, but stressful too. Great reminder to stay happy - I posted about it here:

http://voyage-on.blogspot.com/2012/06/happiness-list.html

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!