Thursday, May 10, 2012

Collect

In this outfit:
Dress: Urban Outfitters (2009)
Cardigan: J.Crew ($3-ish)
Boots: Jeffrey Campbell "Rumi" (ModCloth)
Earrings c/o Noble Town Vintage
Chain Bracelet: ModCloth (old)

I've had this dress for three years, and I just now feel like I've figured out how to wear it- or maybe I'm just more comfortable with things being simpler now. Either way, I definitely have a tendency to over think things. I've been making the conscious effort to simplify lately, an uncomplicated outfit is what I always end up feeling best in, and I feel as though I have to constantly remind myself of that. There's that inner voice that insists "LAYER!" "ADD MORE SHIT!", but inevitably I don't end up feeling good in those outfits. I can't decide if this tendency for "more" is a side-effect from blogging- of constantly seeing other outfits that might be deemed "better" and/or more interesting- or just another iteration of my natural tendency to hoard and drape and collect.

It's a stifling tendency. Whether it's in the context of an outfit or a space, there needs to be room to breathe. When we made the move to Pittsburgh, we only had three weeks notice of our departure, which lead to us moving with more stuff than we needed to. There was no time to clean out, throw out, or sort, all this baggage came with us from our past life and every weekend I sort, throw away, and donate more unwanted, and unnecessary stuff. It's not just our apartment, it's my closet as well. As I unpacked my summer stuff from storage, I noticed hemlines and silhouettes that were no longer of interest to me. After the initial purging of stuff, I felt as if I was finished, like I had gotten rid of what I had to. But as I scanned my closet yesterday, looking for this dress, I saw lurkers. I'm clearly not finished yet.

26 comments:

Em said...

nice dress! :))

stephanie said...

You look fabulous, I'm glad you're wearing that dress :)

immerlight said...

Wonderful earrings!

A Wild Tonic said...

Cleaning out your closet is such a great feeling! Also, how do you get all of your hair into such a tiny bun? Hah! :)

-Lauren

Coccoella said...

You look great and those boots are fab with it!

http://coccoella.blogspot.com

Looks and Books said...

Those boots are amazing!! They look great with the dress as well.

Katrina said...

Love this look! I feel the same way about simple styles - they're what i feel mist comfortable in, but I always have that voice telling me to add more.

I'm in the process of moving and definitely need a big purge. The amount of stuff I have that I never use/wear is horrifying.

Natasha Fatah said...

Looking great girl!

xoxo
~Natasha Fatah~
~Natasha Fatah~

Emily's Going Nuts said...

Great dress!!

The voice in my head also tells me to "add more shit"... I do my best to ignore it. I'm not very good at layering, anyway...

meghan said...

I love the simpler style! I don't accessorize much myself, so it's refreshing to see a blogger pare down a bit!

DF said...

Your dress is lovely.

Belle said...

Love the dress! You look great :)

libby said...

love this outfit! the boots are amazing!

style-extraordinaire.com

sweet harvest moon said...

I really like your hair up like that! Lovely outfit!

Marlena said...

hahahah "ADD MORE SHIT", that killed me in my cubicle. That's exactly how i am! i feel so boring if i dont have like 4000 things going on in my outfit. i'm hoping to find your enlightenment soon- you're like my buddha now haha.

but anyways, it does look good without a lot of stuff topped on it- i think it's the shoes that pull it together :)

Lina said...

This is very pretty! You are one elegant lady.

Destrehan's Daughter said...

Two things... I totally get what you are saying about too much stuff. It has bee floating around the back of my head a lot lately. I want to change it up a bit and freshen things in life and my closet somehow. Second less heavy thing is that I love that topknot. You are making me miss my long hair. Something about the way you twisted it up is very striking.

blue roses said...

it's funny, i feel like when i have shorter notice for a move, or less time, i pitch more.... this has led to insane amounts of pain and regret, like when i foolishly discarded some hand altered, and absolutely kick-ass, dresses when i moved from college.

but. life moves forward. i am a pack rat, so expunging is healthy for me. alas, i have not moved in 3 years, which, in some ways, is a good thing, but my apartment is awry with too much shit.

anyway, you look great, as usual.

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Love the booties! Simple outfits = Love. xx

Marie @ Lemondrop Vintage said...

I am in desperate need to sort and purge, hearing about someone else getting some done inspires me (and makes me envious)
Marie @
Lemondrop ViNtAge

Caitie said...

I love this dress... it seems like the perfect go to piece!

xxx
www.ladyalamode.com

amberly said...

When I first discovered your fashion blog, I think it was around the time when you first wore/got this dress back in 2009! I then saw it at Urban Outfitters on sale and got it myself, thinking I could also pull it off...but I, like you, struggled to find a way to wear it! I love the simplicity of it here... I also tried it with the backward cardigan trend but not sure if my cardi looked right.

Aaand I've always loved loved those earrings! I have waited for NTV to restock them and it seems I always miss it! So all together, this is one of my all time favorites :)

Here's to not over thinking it and going with your instincts!

Christine Martinsky said...

Cute!

Ani said...

So pretty! This dress looks like it was made for you!

Jennifer said...

I remember wanting this dress when it was in stores! I always dress on the simple side.. for some reason I feel like it can say more sometimes!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Jo said...

I love that dress lady! <3 You look gorgeous!

x
Lost in the Haze: a Fashion Photography Blog

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!