Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Another Casual Tuesday






In This Outfit:
Sweater: Thrifted ($7)
Shorts: ModCloth (c. 2010)
Tights: AA
Hat: Thrifted ($2)
Shoes: Matiko (c. 2010)
Bracelets: gift from Punky
Watch c/o Kenneth Cole Time

A few disjointed thoughts:

Another casual look, sometimes you just want comfort. Actually, amend that to all the time.
All the time I want comfort. I bought this sweater a couple weekends back on a thrifting excursion with Mandy, and I'm just a little bit obsessed with it, it's perfectly oversize and slouches in just the right way. I had been planning on pairing it with a skirt, but Chris suggested these shorts and I'm glad he did.

Did you have a good weekend? Mine was quite busy with lots of projects and trips to Construction Junction with Chris. But, I received my new lens yesterday! Which means I can finally start documenting our projects! I have a couple of home-based DIY's planned for the near future, along with some pictures of our new apartment!

And finally, if you follow me on Facebook, you may have seen a post or two looking for feedback recently. One of those posts dealt specifically with me posting the prices of the clothing I wear. I've flip-flopped on this subject a number of times, mainly because I either can't remember the cost of something (much of what I wear is over a year old), or I bought it with some sort of employee discount (I've had a number of retail jobs over the past year and a half). So, with the help of some of you lovely readers, this is what I think will work best: When I can remember the honest-to-goodness price that I paid, I'll post it. When I can't remember the price or it was bought with a discount, I'm not going to guess or post what my cost was, I'm just not going to post it. I know my language here is probably coming off firmer that what I mean, I'm just in decision making mode.

And thank you so much to everyone who offered their thoughts on Facebook, I really appreciated the feedback!
Align Center

26 comments:

modern Suburbanites said...

gorgeous outfit, i really love your hat and sweater.

www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

curious constellation said...

I've been loving your casual outfit posts lately.

Rachel said...

i constantly seem to be craving cosy and comfy outfits with this cold weather we're having in the uk. so that means lots of cosy jumpers. Love the idea of shorts with them though, shorts still give you that bit of freedom i feel dresses lack, lol... maybe im just clumsy lol!

Laura said...

I love it when you post the prices of what you're wearing - it always makes me want to try thrifting first before buying something new. I think you're making the right choice. :)

thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

Femke said...

I like this casual look, it seems to be very comfortable!

xoxo, Femke On the Button

Sweet Harvest Moon said...

Lovely casual look! Love your hat!

Justalazymorning said...

sooooo cute!!
xoxo

Mona Gray said...

Another ones of those outfits that I just start nodding my head "yes" to. Looks so good! It also looks like a good napping outfit!

Shannon said...

Pretty pictures! I love your bracelets.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

Ness Pas said...

Love this outfit! I think you've sold me on the whole tights with shorts thing. They look fab on you. :)

Ani said...

Lovely relaxed outfit! I post the prices on my blog too and usually it's of stuff that I kept the receipt for. (I know, it's a bit extreme, but I don't want to lie!) Especially for my stuff from the thrift store. I tend to hit up thrift stores when they have discounts on top of their super low prices, so it's helpful for me to keep the receipt. With stuff I can't remember I simply say i can't remember. haha. Anyhow, love your blog!

whosthisani.blogspot.com

Kaity said...

Your photos are taken in the loveliest locations. Love everything about this. xo

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Lovvvve the sweater. It looks the epitome of cozy.

My only criticism with posting the prices (and I don't direct this at you in particular) is that bloggers who do often seem to only post the prices of things they got cheaply. I feel like it sometimes creates this mentality where you feel that you're the only one getting ripped off with regards to clothes, and that other people are paying between $3 and $7 for most things. I also find the price an unreliable measure of how much the item is worth to the blogger... is it something they wear all the time or only twice a year, etc. etc.

Anyway, like you say, decision's made!

steffy said...

Sometimes I question whether or not to post an outfit because I feel like it's not interesting enough. But maybe the point is... make it interesting! Or photograph it in a way to make it interesting. And I always feel that even your casual outfits are done in an interesting way. You are very inspiring.

Orchid Grey said...

@EmilyRubySlipperJourneys: I have to agree with you. Personally I see both sides: I like posting the prices because it shows that you can find things for a good price, but the other side is that I've received criticism for posting items that I decided to spend more money on. It's a double edged sword I guess, and a subject that many people have opposing opinions about. I really appreciate your thoughtful comment!

@Steffy: I feel the same way very often, but sometimes the more casual outfits are the most interesting! Thank you for your sweet comment!

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

cozy outfits just seem to be the best in the winter! that sweater looks amazing.. can i wear it? hehe! love this look!

xo,
steffy
http://steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

AnnaBananaCupcake said...

This is a fabulous comfy casual outfit. Love the addition of the hat!
XOXO

Kultur und Stil said...

well okay - as always i love your outfit. but today I have to say something else: you have such gorgeous hair - I'd love to have such long and great hair as you have!
xxx Anit

The Daily Fashionista said...

You look super cute in that thrifted sweater!! I love the color.

chillairandperfume said...

Adorable sweater! Love your hat too. Wish I could pull it off!

xo,
Hannah
www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

Sunjo said...

Very pretty! I have a ton of vintage hats, I need to start wearing them!

wildchild said...

totally unrelated, but your hair looks gorgeous in these photos! so healthy and shiny :)

Charlotte said...

i love your style, your outfit and the background :)
greetings from germany !

Megan Rose said...

You have mastered casually chic with this outfit. :) love it!

-Megan Rose
Somewhat Stylish

Tish and Pish said...

Love your look! I'm now following you! If you have time you can look mine http://tish-and-pish.blogspot.com tks

Jennifer said...

I like that hat! What a great thrift find!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!