Monday, March 7, 2011

Easy hair tutorial: Waves

This post is coming super late coming, I know, but I wanted to share a simple way of achieving a wavy effect on your hair. The best part is that you don't need extra long hair to do this, if you can make a little bun, you're set. I've been doing this a lot lately, it's easy and saves my hair from the scorching heat of the curling iron I usually use.

To start: This style is best achieved with freshly washed hair. Blow dry your hair until almost completely dry.
(optional): I run a flat iron over my bangs and around the crown of my head to smooth flyaways. Work some smoothing creme into locks for shine and control. I like S Factor Smoothing Lusterizor.

This next step is a little dweeby, but I swear, it's worth it:
Separate your hair like you're going to make low pig tails, starting on one side, work some texturizing paste (I like Garnier Surf Hair) into ends and twist away from your face to make a tight bun. secure with a couple of bobby pins. Repeat on the other side.

Now keep yourself busy for about 30 minutes. If I were to do this on a work day, I would spend this time getting dressed and ready. But since it wasn't a work day for me, I made lunch, did some dishes, and recited Princess Leia monologues (when in Rome, right?).
When you feel as if your hair has percolated long enough (or you get antsy), take out the buns and shake it out. your hair may be a bit chunky, gently separate but don't comb it! Spritz with hair spray, and admire yourself.
What I'm wearing: Sweater: LOFT (swapped), T-Shirts: Madewell, Necklace c/o Noble Town Vintage