Thursday, January 6, 2011

Birds of prey

Dress: Delightful Dozen swap with A Thought is the Blossom
Cape: American Apparel
Cardigan: Loft via Swap
Tights: AA super opaque
Shoes: Charlotte Ronson via EBay
Skull necklace: H&M (olddddd)
Owl talon necklace: Black Sparrow (gift from Chris)
First of all, let me just say that the 40 oz. on the steps in these photos isn't mine. I tend to not do my drinking in graveyards and didn't really want to touch the thing to get it out of the way. I was extremely creeped out today taking these pictures. This particular mausoleum is my favorite in the local graveyard, but it's also the place where a lot of homeless drunks hang out. I know, what the heck was I thinking? After a few shots, I moved on to the maintenance shed which is closer to the road and felt safer. The reason why I like this place so much is because the two people who own it aren't even dead yet. Their picture is on the side with their respective birthdays, but neither one has died. They're just great planners.

I do love how the colors of the background work with my outfit though. When this dress went up for swapping on the Delightful Dozen, I snatched it right up. I love the pattern and colors in the print, unfortunately it was way too big. It's clipped in the back here with a safety pin and hidden under a cardigan, which worked just fine. I paired it with my cape, olive tights, and plum colored platforms. Olive and plum are two of my favorite colors and I just love them paired together. Isn't this owl talon amazing? Chris gave it to me for Christmas and it just came in the mail other day. I was hoping to pair it with my sparrow skull but can't find it!

This week has honestly been a little quiet. I've been spending most of my time hunting for jobs, which are scarce. I try to live my life free of regrets, but I do wish I had recognized my love of fashion earlier on, so that I would have been able to take advantage of classes as a student. It's hard knowing that I would be SO GOOD at certain jobs, but not having the the on-paper skills to really back it up. I feel a little stuck. Please don't take this as me complaining, it's honestly what has been on my mind lately. I left my job at the college because I was tired of telling high school students to create a job out of what they loved doing, when what I was doing was the opposite of what I loved. Then in December I told myself that I would figure it out by my birthday because, honestly, it feels a little silly to be 27 and experiencing this kind of career ennui. but I know that isn't realistic, we can't give ourselves these kind of ultimatums, especially in this economy (there it is, the big EEEE!). So, I've decided to be patient, to wait it out and search for what feels right. This time around I will try not to force myself into a job for the sake of having a job (ahem, I will not forget how awful september through November was), and just work hard to find something good.

If you've made it this far...I commend you. sorry for the rant.

happy thursday!