Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Crystal Lake

Jacket: Urban Outfitters ($30 sale)
Sweater: Madewell (sale)
Plaid Shirt: Vintage thrift ($3)
Necklace: H&M (old)
Belt: AA
tights: AA
Shoes: Matiko ($40 sale)
This is one of the most photographed, painted, and recognizable spots in New Hampshire, and - incidentally- right down the road from my house in Maine. I had Chris stop for photos when we were making the rounds on Christmas day. Christmas is always a little hectic for us, we grew up about 20 minutes away from one another which means we have A LOT of family to visit on holidays and it's never a simple task to see all of them. This year I made sure we slowed down at least a little, a least to take some photos! This lake is one of my favorite spots. I went to summer camp for 9 years right across the street, and when I was in high school me and my friends would often swim across it to swing on the rope hanging off a tree on the other side. These are the things I miss most about living in rural Maine and New Hampshire, depending on the season there's always a lake with a rope swing for swimming or a cleared off icy spot for ice skating.

I'm not usually one for dressing up for the holidays. I always have the best of intentions- this sale made it hard to resist all things sparkly- but in reality the snow and cold make sweaters pretty hard to resist! I decided to make some kind of effort though, even if the outfit is something I've been wearing a lot lately. Yes, it's pretty much the same outfit as this one, but instead of jeans I added some amazing suede shorts. I almost passed over these suede beauties, thinking that for the price they must be ultra-suede (faux), but they're real and I love them! Leather is a great material for winter, despite being shorts they held in warmth like no other and kept me toasty throughout our Christmas travels.

31 comments:

Sara C said...

It makes me nervous looking at you on that ice, but I LOVE the sweater/jacket you're wearing! :)

Sarah said...

how pretty!
you always look so cute.

curious constellation said...

This outfit is gorgeous. Your childhood sounds amazing, wow.

Aesthetic Alterations said...

Suede is such a sexy material! It feels like a million bucks.

Where I went for a pre-Christmas break, the river was frozen all the way across. A couple more inches, and the residents would start driving on it. It's invigorating to step out onto all that ice, as if I'm trespassing on a part of the world I wasn't supposed to experience--but mother nature let me do so for a short time.

Hope you're having fun!

Miranda said...

I adore this look, it's one of my favorites!

www.indcfashion.com

northwest is best said...

How beautiful, but I hope your toes didn't get too cold! My mother gave me a pair of plum coloured tights for Christmas just like the ones you're wearing here, I can't wait to style them into an outfit.

Stefany said...

The landscape is absolutely beautiful! =] I love your tights.

archives said...

what a gorgeous location! so quaint!

hope you and chris had a great holiday! :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

The scenery is amazing... it looks like a wonderful place to grow up.

Rosie said...

Gorgeous setting and outfit. Where in NH is this? I've never been.

m said...

That lake is beautiful, as well as your outfit. Makes me want to live in Maine even more...

purelovefashion said...

Always loved maroon tights.


www.purelovefashionn.blogspot.com

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

I love the mix of colours you're wearing and the shorts and tights together are fab.

Sherry Jarwin said...

That outfit is so KILLER! Oh to be young again - I don't think I can wear shorts (even with tights) any longer. But you look BEAUTIFUL and the scenery only enhances the picture. Happy New Year!

gdo-family.blogspot.com

Charlie, Feminine Bravery said...

Great outfit, looks both comfy and stylish!

xxx Charlie
Feminine Bravery

Spring Smith said...

hehehe I love Crystal Lake :) I also wish I could pull off the shorts and tights look as flawlessly as you do!

Laura Gerencser said...

Love the shoes!!

Catie said...

Love the combo of the shorts with those tights. Awesome post!

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

Gorgeous photos! I love whatever colors you put together - you're so perfect at it!

fashion_player said...

I love shorts in winter version:)

Rebecca said...

I really enjoy your outift posts, you always seem to find outfits that match your surroundings perfectly.

Dawn said...

Just when I thought you could not get any prettier, bam..you look gorgeous...love the outfit and the location...thank you for the inspiration...Dawn Suitcase Vignettes oh and I did not mean to make that rhyme...

Jessica said...

Those shorts are really great and look very versatile. cute!

Malicious Mallory said...

Wow! It must be SO cold for it to be safe to stand on the lake. They're frozen over here, but I don't trust them to hold a person...

You look so great! I love the coat and shorts and tights...and shoes. :p

kelly ann said...

i LOVE the colour palette of this outfit. so simple, but so flattering and well put together!

Caroline said...

Wow such a gorgeous backdrop! So picturesque. I love your lumberjack style shirt! I seem to be seeing those matiko boots everywhere nowadays... I hope you did some seriously skating on that ice!

Michal said...

Ahh gorgeous. Hearing you talk about New Hampshire makes me happy. :D I love this outfit. The browns & burgundy are so beautiful together- really warm & rich.

holleigh said...

Love the suede shorts! I am sitting here in some leather ones now and was just thinking that I need another pair for winter.

Isy said...

Lovely photos.. I love the lake! It looks lovely standing on ice.. and of course also a lovely outfit!!! :)

x

April, Everyday Forgotten said...

Are you standing on the ice?! Gosh, I didnt notice till the bottom photos haha!

I love the colour combination as always! :) I've been swooning over some shorts similar to those for a while now.

Erin Cathleen said...

Love these photos! They - and your outfit - are sooo New England. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!