Monday, March 1, 2010

Over The Weekend: Trashy!

Not your usual over the weekend style file...
This is how I spent my Saturday night. I know what you're thinking, you're thinking "Is that...." yes, my skirt is made out of recycled shopping bags. Here, let me explain. Every once and awhile, something cool happens in my town: this weekend it was was the Third Annual Trashfinders Ball. What's the Trashfinders Ball? It's a ball that celebrates all those treasures discovered on the side of the road on trash day. It brings together both expert trashfinder and amateur dumpster diver, to dance, sing, and parade around in amazing homemade and recycled costumes. Chris and I were so excited to be able to go this year, and I was determined to make something cool. I whipped together this 1960's inspired skirt in about 2 hours, it's constructed out of a black garbage bag, about 50-60 Stop & Shop shopping bags, and duct tape...so much duct tape! I also made a black and gold rose for my hair out of a liqueur store bag and some nail polish. To keep the outfit from getting too busy (ha) I stuck with a neutral color scheme: a second-hand 1950's lace shell and second hand leopard print belt.
There is even a "Trashion Show" where everyone can show off their creations/ finds:
Secret time: one of those people above is my boss! Shhh!

Towards the end of the night, three of the year's best trash finds were raffled off, and guess what I won! A stretched and mounted rattle snake skin! Yesssss! For those of you who don't know, I am a BIG collector of kitsch, so this snake will look lovely in our living-room (much to the chagrin -I'm sure- of my mother and other visitors)...
The Trashfinders Ball also supports a worthy cause: The Harborlight Community Partners, a local organization that provides affordable housing to those in need. The event was so much fun, I can't wait until next year!

A big thank you to Chris for being the photographer of the evening!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

40 comments:

Fifth Sparrow said...

Wow! What an awesome idea! I think I might have to host one of these shin-digs sometime (even if it is just to use up all the recycled shopping bags I have!) You're dress looks awesome and that rattlesnake is hideous/kinda cool!
xxx

www.fifthsparrow.blogspot.com

Sabrina said...

OMG your skirt is so amazing! you are so creative.

it sounds like you had a great time!

Megan Rose said...

Oh my gosh, that's probably the coolest thing I've ever heard of. And your skirt reeks of awesomeness!!

Miss Soggy Smog said...

Whoa!!!!! Okay! Awesome recycled craftiness!!!! Great styling of said recycled craftiness!!! And totally sweet and strange prize!!!! I totally LOVE how happy you look holding it!!! Great post, thanks for sharing this awesome event with us! :)

SWEATshirtDRESSshirt said...

your outfit looks so fun and unique! i really like how you put the skirt together. yes, it is made from "trash", but it looks AWESOME!! great job. also, i looove the leopard print belt you added.

urbanrhetoric said...

what a great idea! i wish we had events like this in nyc....

~pemora

Kimberellie said...

How much fun is that?? You look aweseome! And I LOVE the snake (I, too, love kitch!).

<3

purplestinkindogtoy.blogspot.com

Lucy Marmalade said...

Ahhh! Last year I fashioned a full-length gown out of garbage bags for a trash-themed event. It was fun, but quite the grueling process. I will share the photos sometime! You look fabulous!

♥Lola said...

That's awesome! I love it :)

MissKellie said...

Ha, this looks fun! :D What a creative idea, I love it!

http://playingdressupwithkellie.blogspot.com/

tess said...

haha that's amazing, my friend is having a no clothes party this friday and that's a great idea

Fabulocity in Amish Country said...

How cool! Great job on the garbage dress! :)

megan said...

Wow, that is so cool!! Congrats on winning!! I've visited Beverly many times and didn't realize there was such a sense of community, that is really awesome.

Little Ocean Annie said...

Your skirt looks so good! Project Runway would totally not vote you off. I looooove that snake, and it totally looks like a belt my husband found in Mexico and wears all the time. It even still has the head and tounge...

Clare said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds SO fun!

Love the skirt, too!

Gabrielle said...

I am really jealous of the snakeskin

Katie, Tinda Keelie said...

that snake skin is TOO funny! it's kind of amazing what you did with trash bags!

Lexie said...

incredible! i'll have to remember your skirt the next time one of the fraternities on campus throws an "anything but clothes" party!

myedit said...

Heck yes... totally worth making that skirt if you get to come home with a stretched out snake skin. haha, looks like too much fun!

Allison said...

Looked sovfun! Love the skirt so much!

if i haver said...

haha that looks like so much fun! Great job on the skirt!

Ash said...

Such an awesome idea! Well done!

Nicole Jarecz said...

wow, fun outfits!!

Rosie said...

Oh man, this looks so fun! Your outfit came out awesome!

Jessica said...

Haha, love the last photo. This looks like so much fun! I think your skirt is quite chic, considering the materials!

Sidewalk Chalk said...

This was such a fun post! Love your creative outfit and you look like you're having such a great time.
I love seeing people make outfits out of trash -- one of my friends made a beautiful strapless, full-skirted cocktail dress out of newspapers once for Halloween.

- JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Girl from the North Country said...

Well that's it, the MR. and I are moving to Boston, How wicked it this trash ball I love the whole idea, your dress too cute!

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

This looks like so much fun!! Your outfit is totally fantastic, haha.

Academichic said...

this is hilarious, looks like a blast! S.

futurelint said...

That's awesome! All of it! The dress, the fashion show, the snake skin! How fun!

Kelly said...

Oh man this looks SO cool!

The Village Idiot said...

THATS AMAZING!!!

Lindsay said...

What a wonderful event! Heck, I'd wear that skirt day to day.

Jealous of that snake. My bridal shower is taxidermy themed, hahaha.

www.mysolitaryconsignment.com

L said...

The skirt looks amazing!!
L x
http://www.fashionlooksnorth.blogspot.com/

City Girl Chicago said...

How cool ~ at first glance at the first picture of your skirt and I had no idea why the post title contains the word "Trashy!" ~ haha, I love the skirt!

Jenny said...

Congrats! I love your "trashy" skirt!

That snake skin is pretty funky. It would look great over a large doorway. :)

Midwest Mayhem said...

Wow, that looks like it was a ton of fun! Your skirt looks really cool.

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

That looks like so much fun!! I love it!

sanjeet said...

your skirt is so amazing! you are so creative.
fashion videos

Mascara or Motoroil said...

That's sooooo awesome! I wish Cincinnati had something like this! Ahhhh, garbage picking.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!