Monday, February 22, 2010

Over The Weekend Style File...

Future's so bright...blah blah blah...
Trench: J.Crew (19.00)
Sweatshirt: J.Crew (15.00)
Button Up: Marshalls (7.00)
Jeans: Urban Outfitters (gift)
Shoes: Sperry Topsiders via Salvation Army (7.00)
Sunnies: Fred Flare (11.00)
Photos: Chris
This weekend was a quiet one, just a lot of errand-running, so I wanted to be comfortable. I wore this on Saturday to go with Chris to Salvation Army and a bunch of other places. Usually, when I go to thrift stores I'm a little more practical with what I wear, but it was 50 F outside and I felt springy! I had the incredible luck a few weeks ago of finding a brand new pair of Sperry boat shoes at the thrift store, so they made their debut on saturday. I really want to get them broken in before Summer. I'm not going to lie, I want warm weather badly. This has been an anti-climactic winter, although the weather sounds like it's going to be nasty later this week.
I also broke out one of my favorite pins (above). It's rare that I find anything with my name on it that isn't "Julia" so I was stoked a few years ago to find this vintage pin-up girl. She's an old WWII plane decal. I like knowing that a hot lady with my name cheered up soldiers long ago. And yes, that button needs to be sewed on.

Also, Rachel from AdventuresInCooking asked a great question:
Q: "I have a question for you...how do you decide if you are crossing the line between "professional" and "Unprofressional" with your clothing. I have a purple and navy dress similar to the one you are wearing that I am dying to wear with tights and flats. I worry it's too short. How do you decide?????"

A: First of all, I am in no way the authority on how to dress in the workplace. I have the advantage of working in a creative environment where we are able to get away with a lot. For my skirts and dresses, I usually go by the five finger rule: lay your arms flat against your sides with your fingers straight down, is your skirt above or below them? Mine are usually even with or a little below my middle finger (this was the rule for camp dances when I was a kid, I guess it stuck). In the winter, I always wear tights, and year round I always stay covered-up up top. The key is to keep your outfit balanced. During my travel season when I'm visiting high schools, I am more modest with what I wear in consideration for the circumstances. I also almost never show the tattoos on my back and usually wear bracelets to cover the one on my wrist, this is to balance the fact that I have a big metal ring through my nose (I am not the only one in my office who has piercing's). Also, and this is a big one, my work mantra: Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. With-in reason, of course!

If you have a question, please feel free to email me or leave a comment!
(any hair questions will be addressed in the monthly hair-post)

44 comments:

April said...

holy goodness, those sperry topsiders were such an awesome salvation army find, i'm extremely envious.

Sweet Sara said...

I love your trench and that little button!! :) What an adorable detail! I'm also lovin' your buns...hehe Spring can't come soon enough

Liz said...

Lucky you for finding the sperry topsiders!!! I'll keep my eye out for Julie pins :)
Also,
How do you find such great deals on j.crew??? Thrifted?

kate maggie said...

I love this! Cute pin and lovely outfit :) You look great as always! x

Kallie said...

sweatshirts and button downs are amazing! you pull it off perfectly.

M. said...

I LOVE that trench, oh my god!

lovelove, M.
http://marissaexplains.blogspot.com

Tanya Patrice said...

Holy cute - I love the pin.

jane st. clair said...

adorable! you look so badass in the first picture. i'm envious of your sperry find b/c i kind of want to try a pair but can't bring myself to pay full price for something so specific that doesn't go with most of my wardrobe. :/

xo!

litelwonderland said...

I just bought those same sunnies last Friday, and I can't wait for them to come in!! Hope they look as cute on me as they do on you.

♥Lola said...

Love your mini trench, really cute :) Like that mantra, about work dressing!

!Tb0n3! said...

I can't wait for the warm weather to come either! Stay warm and dry this week!

Gizelle | Vanilla Ice Cream said...

an awesome answer to a great question!

it's hard for me to dress up at work cuz it's a cubicle job and i handle a team of agents..i'm supposed to look professional and 'supervisor-y' but i sneak in boho pieces by piling on my bangles...or long necklaces. :D

♥ vanilla ice cream ♥

Lucy Marmalade said...

Mmm, I sure do like the minimalist look you've been doing lately--stripes and basic trenches and whatnot. Very French. Also, your hair tutorial a while back inspired me to start fooling with my (unruly) mane more frequently.
I am in the fetal stage of a new fashion blog--what I mean to say is, it has just been born--so if you get a chance, check out lucymarmalade.blogspot.com . My focus, like yours, is frugality and fashion! Anyway, I've been a long-time reader, so thanks for all the great ideas.

Clare said...

This is a perfect Spring-y outfit. And it sounds like you've been having great luck at the thrift store!

SWF_Terra said...

Those shade make me want to shimmy straight out of my drawers.

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I love the jacket! So classy and cute.

Ally,The Vintage Valley said...

gorgeous love your trench jacket

Rosie said...

Good advice on work appropriate clothes! You look awesome!

Laura Gerencser said...

Cute outfit!!

Eli said...

what a simple yet chic outfit. love it!

plaisirs simples said...

love the hair!

Little Ocean Annie said...

Love that short trench! The collar on it is fantastic! I can rarely find something that says "Annie" and not "Anne" (unless its of a redheaded orphan), so I get your excitement about the pin! She's so pretty!

tess said...

love the trench!

i remember the five finger rule, still use it too haha

closet365 said...

I'm excited for your thrift finds!

And that pin is adorable! I love finding stuff with my name.

Anna said...

Gorgeous outfit. Love the hair :)
http://infashionwetrustblog.blogspot.com

princesspolitico said...

perfect footwear! awesome to find sperrys for $7!

xo.
princesspolitico.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

Love the trench & the Sperry's - What a great thrift shop find!!
XoXo

www.everydaychicny.tumblr.com

Lucia said...

very nice shoes!! Perfect weekend outfit!

Dirty Hair Halo said...

I work in a business casual environment, but I totally bend the rules. Short skirts(with tights although it doesn't really help the situation), ripped jeans(but not messy), heels EVERYDAY.

I just need to enjoy being me, and I'm not going to let my silly business casual scenery put a damper on my bright lights!

BEEP BEEP, COMING THROUGH!

www.SeekingDirtyHairHalo.blogspot.com

chicfaced said...

ah yes, the finger tip rule. I remember many a hallway stop by the security guards in High School stopping girls in the springtime w/their booty shorts on.

You have the best luck thrifting shoes... every time I look (because I think, hey, Julie finds shoes!) I end up seeing a bunch of 3 in black wedge plastic flip flops. fail.

Tina Z said...

I love the simplicity of this outfit. Awesome thrift find with the shoes.

Tanglewood said...

Definitely a good mantra for staying sane with work outfits! Although I'm sure my coworkers wouldn't mind seeing me in something other than scuffed boots...

un bel oiseau said...

hey julie! i find that what you suggested is very good advice. my office says they are business casual (where i would definitely use your measurement suggestion)but really, everyone is more-so conservative. i heard tim gunn say that usually 2 inches above the knee is where you should land for skirts. i tend to lean that way, or else i get looks from my co-workers! ha

Fabulocity in Amish Country said...

I love this outfit!! You got that trench for $19?? I'm sooo jealous! I need one of those in my life! :)

campbell said...

I actually do have a question about your job - you have my dream job! I really want to become a college recruiter or admissions counselor. If I may, I am curious to ask about your (educational, professional) background and what led you to your current position?

Katelyn Likes This said...

I love that side bun! Super cute! I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do that!

khdz said...

that pin is adorable :)
would you be able to give us some close-ups on your shoes, though?

if i haver said...

I love that pin!! So cute..

A Thought Is The Blossom said...

great pin on your coat and shoes. this is so adorable!

MissKellie said...

Oooh, nice shoes! :D I found a nice new pair of shoes at Salvation Army this weekend too. Thrift shops have the very best pairs!

http://playingdressupwithkellie.blogspot.com/

adventuresincookingnm said...

Thanks for answering my question (and in your blog!!!). It really helps and reaffirms how I have been gaging my dress!

Molly said...

so cute! love your hair and shoes...and coat...and everything :D

stealthnerd said...

I love this outfit. The first thing I thought of when I saw your pics was "this is what Audrey Hepburn would look like if she were playing a spy on her day off."

streetcake.wordpress.com

Vanessa said...

Adorable! I am really loving the hairstyle you've been rocking lately :o) I have bangs, so putting my hair up super high and then pinning back the fringe with a headband would work perfectly! Thanks for the ideas

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!