Monday, August 29, 2016

WORN: Surprise Pants & DIY Ballet Flats

 photo Orchid Grey August 29 2016 -5_zpsovftit8r.jpg
 photo Orchid Grey August 29 2016 -3_zpsslrj4tpr.jpg
 photo Orchid Grey August 29 2016 -4_zpsdnhwexdk.jpg
 photo Orchid Grey August 29 2016 -7_zpsxgq4facp.jpg
 photo Orchid Grey August 29 2016 -1_zpsxclnyztu.jpg
 photo Orchid Grey August 29 2016 -9_zps6ihfjb1d.jpg
 photo Orchid Grey August 29 2016 -6_zpstgkjt2ih.jpg
 photo Orchid Grey August 29 2016 -8_zpsx3gsx06q.jpg
 photo Orchid Grey August 29 2016 -2_zpsmfp1j7d8.jpg

- I love that these black linen culottes from Moorea Seal trick nearly everyone into thinking they're a skirt. What's more fun than surprise pants? Lots of things, but it's still pretty fun to do a karate kick while yelling "THEY'RE PANTS!!!"

- When I first saw these ballet flats pop up in my feed, three things crossed my mind: I love them, there's no way in hell I'm paying $600 for them, and I can make them. And so I did. I already had the flats in my wardrobe (from ThredUp, I feel I should mention), and after a quick trip to M&J Trim for ribbon they were, essentially, mine. For $11. Sure, they're missing the little straps... but I'm working on it. A note for those who want to do the same - I recommend getting two yards for ultimate wrapping possibilities.

- The weather this month has been brutal, but the heat has been great motivation for watching a million YourTube tutorials for braids. I taught myself (liar... a teenage girl on YouTube taught me) how to do these braids at the beginning of the month and they've pretty much been my savior ever since.

Get the look:
Black culottes from Moorea Seal
Thrifted silk tank
Vintage Coach bag with DIY tassels
Repetto ballet flats with DIY ribbon
Free People sunglasses

Edit: As requested here is the link to the hair tutorial that actually worked for me: 


Chaucee said...

MAJOR hair/braid envy!! I've watched a MILLION of those tutorials and can never get the hang of it. I don't have the hand/eye coordination.

Girl and Closet said...

Love, love those braids and your gorgeous outfit + DIY ribbon skills! <3 And yup, the heat's been brutal, don't think I've sweat so much in my life. But thank god it's starting to finally cool and I can safely start dreaming of fall fashion!! xo

Amber Baker said...

I adore this outfit, those culottes are perfect, and I'm getting on the ribbon bit ASAP! Love this!

Amber | y a c h t s m a a n

Clara Charlotte said...

Would love to get the link to the youtube tutorial that taught you to do these braids! They are awesome!

Jenn said...

I would love the youtube link as well! Obsessed with those braids!!!

Dylana Suarez said...

You look amazing!


Orchid Grey said...

hi All! Thanks so much for the love, as requested, here's the winning YouTube gal:

Monika Wlodarczyk said...

Love your hair!

toujoursAnja said...

I love this, it's a perfect minimal look with just enough details.

Gemma Roberts said...

Love. It.

Faded Windmills

Leah Wise said...

Your whole outfit is great! I love the surprise pants, too. - Leah,

thotlady said...

Love the braids.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!