Tuesday, July 23, 2013


 photo OrchidGrey_July232013-7_zps7b7a890c.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_July232013-6_zpsd895f73b.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_July232013-5_zps98ece5b7.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_July232013-2_zps390ed298.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_July232013-1_zpsede80caf.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_July232013-3_zps657d5ac3.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_July232013-4_zps1e0c26a2.jpg
What I wore:
Jacket: Estate sale (similar)
Dress c/o Ruche
Boots c/o ShoeMint
Necklace c/o InfinEight

I wore this too: a movie date

I found this jacket at the world's worst estate sale a few weeks ago, and bought it for a couple of bucks with the intent of chopping off the sleeves. As it goes with most items (usually denim) that I initially intend to hack up in some way, I ended up really liking it as-is. Nearly perfect in it's roughed-up state, I took a dremel tool to it to rough it up a bit more around the pockets and hem. Oversize and and a little gnarly, it's the perfect balance to a sweet and slightly girly dress.

Chris and I went on a movie date this weekend (our first trip to the movies since October, yeesh) to see The Heat, which I thought was surprisingly hilarious (not that I didn't expect it to be funny, just not as funny as it actually was). Melissa McCarthy, I just love how she swears.


Jul said...

Oooh I really love the contrast between the jacket and the girly dress! Also, THOSE. BOOTS. Instant love.

Valentina Duracinsky said...

you look great!

Valentina Duracinsky Blog

monica said...

you look adorable! Great combo. And I love denim forever. Glad you're wearing it! :)
My husband and I TALK ABOUT going to the movies often, but never seem to get there. I'll add that one to our list.

Sophie said...

My boyfriend and I have an unlimited monthly cinema card so The Heat is on our list. Looking forward to seeing it now! That really is the perfect denim jacket!

Ester DurĂ£es said...

wow the print on your dress is so pretty, I love it! :)
Ester @ Drawing Dreaming

Liz Russell said...

What a sweet outfit! Your boots are to die for :)

Elliementary, My Dear said...

I love how this look is very edgy with the denim jacket on and then very soft and feminine without it. Great date night outfit, you look lovely :)

Alexandra Pettinato said...

Love this look! The dress is beautiful. I'm really into the print.

Alex from www.polkadottedpixels.com

thotlady said...

Love, love, love those boots. I also thought The Heat was hilarious.

eileen ragan | leaner by the lake said...

DIG on this dress, lady. Love that you played up the geometric shapes.

eileen ragan | leaner by the lake

Jennifer said...

A good denim jacket has to be a wardrobe staple. You'll find yourself wearing it all the time!

xo Jennifer


Sara, Swing The Day Away said...

I love the geometric print on the dress and how you paired it with the beads. Such a great look for a movie date! :)

Sandra Quitzimouche said...

wow it's cold enough to wear a jacket out there!

it's been so hot here that even late at night you're ok with no sleeves.

that dress looks great, love the geometric print!

i can never find a good enough jeans jacket, it's funny how the most basic things are the most hard to find...

Gwen said...

OMG I love this look! It's like my favourite thing you've ever worn, I think. Maybe it's the contrasting shapes on the dress and in the necklace...?

Funny thing about thrifting, for me anyway, is that it's so easy to waste money on things I don't end up using because I "just need to alter it here and here", so now I just avoid thrifting things I have to alter... That jacket looks cool the way it is!

Allie Gunter said...

I love those boots and that dress. Such a lovely look!
And I 100% agree about "The Heat." I went in without super high expectations, and it actually turned out to be the funniest movie I've seen in awhile!
New follower here :)


Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!