Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Brick and Black

 photo OrchidGrey_June42013-10_zps8a448569.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_June42013-2_zps822a4da8.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_June42013-4_zpsf56c0a44.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_June42013-8_zps3b0bc631.jpg
  photo OrchidGrey_June42013-1_zps43b80408.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_June42013-7_zps5817f63c.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_June42013-3_zps9efa3fa0.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_June42013-6_zpsb23c5e7a.jpg

What I wore:
Dress: Mink Pink/ UO ($15 in-store sale)
Vest: Swapped/vintage
Wedges & bracelet c/o Lulu's
Fringe necklace: Madewell (2011)
Sun necklace c/o Sisters of the Moon
Beaded necklace: Swapped/vintage
Snake ring: ModCloth (2011)
Heart ring: Cat Bird (gift)

I wore this to: Get out the door, fast.

Last week, when I looked in the mirror, I didn't see myself. I saw my mother. But not my mother as she is now, specifically I saw the graphite portrait of her sixteen year old self that hangs in the home I grew up in. Have you ever become acutely aware of how much you look like a specific parent? It doesn't happen very often, usually I see my father in the way my eyebrows sort of droop and my entire mouth- gums and all- shows when I genuinely smile. But on this particular day, I looked like my mom with her stick-straight hair parted down the middle (many people are surprised to learn my hair is naturally straight as an arrow as well). This probably all sounds incredibly vain- like I'm just staring at myself in the mirror all the time- but it's just something that struck me on this day.

On a completely separate note, I have been stalking this dress for months and it finally paid off! UO had their extra 50% off sale, sale a couple of weeks ago, and there it was- the last one, in my size. Want a little tip? If you're nice about it, they'll honor prices on the website, which are typically a few dollars cheaper than in-store (if you're not nice about it, they'll probably still honor the price, but there are a lot of impatient and rude people out there and I don't recommend being one of them). I always look up everything I'm planning to purchase on my phone, and have the windows open at the register. It may sound stingy, but on this particular shopping trip, I saved about $30 extra dollars.

14 comments:

FRUIT SKELETONS said...

this is too good! very striking. this might be the first maxi dress I'm drawn to

Adrienne Scott-Trask said...

Love this maxi dress and those shoes!!
Great look!
-Adrienne. xo

Citizen of the World
Citizen of the World

Elliementary, My Dear said...

I work across from an Urban and would see this dress in the window every day and thought it was cute but too pricey. You're so lucky to have gotten it for that price and it looks great on you! This would be a perfect festival outfit.

salemstylecrochet.com said...

beautiful dress! that's awesome you got a great deal on it :)

<3 Lianna J @ Salem Style Crochet

Sophie said...

I'm always about saving money so good tip! Love the dress!
Sophie
x

Ashley Elizabeth said...

You're hair looks soooo cute like that!

Heidi said...

Those trees behind you are so beautiful! And your dress is great too! xo Heidi http://fabricandfrosting.blogspot.no/

Jennifer said...

I kind of live for the UO extra 50% off sales haha Great find!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

BuenoBueno said...

Hey You! Kelly and I got our tickets to TXSC! we are excited to hear what you have to say:)))
Hopefully we will get to hang out too!
xo
B

Kitsune-kun said...

your hair is adorable! I miss being able to wear mine like that sometimes:) what an epic dress!

Ally said...

You always make 70s look so fresh & modern.

colormebrazen said...

So striking! Reminiscent of a fairy tale. Love this.

Valentina Duracinsky said...

This is awesome! love the look.

Valentina
Valentina Duracinsky Blog

Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky said...

I was just talking about this with my best friend last night. I was looking at this picture of my mom: http://www.flickr.com/photos/delightfullytacky/4474976779/in/set-72157623607774135
And was struck by how exactly the same our bodies are. Genetics are so bizarre sometimes. It's funny to think that someday I might have a kid looking back at pictures of me now thinking the same thing.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!