Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Snow Season

 photo OrchidGrey_March252013-1_zps21623726.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_March252013-3_zps482c8bbb.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_March252013-6_zps6576c9df.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_March252013-5_zps6e8d95b6.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_March252013-2_zps3f19e696.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_March252013-4_zpse06e0fde.jpg
What I Wore:
Coat: Gentle Fawn (ModCloth)
Stole: Antique
Dress c/o Ruche
Top: Thrifted ($5-ish)
Tights: American Apparel ($25)
Boots c/o Lulu's
Cardigan: J.Crew outlet
Brooch: Vintage/ Thrifted ($3)
Snake ring: ModCloth (2011) (similar)
1st knuckle ring: from childhood...it's actually just a small ring

Where I wore it: To work

My intention today was to show you that, not only is this bag super handy for camera accessories, but on office days, it doubles as a laptop bag. As you can tell, the weather had other ideas (that's not dandruff in my hair, it's snow... that miserable kind of snow that's almost rain and makes normal things like photoshoots really difficult). So, I hope you'll take my word for it, instead of hauling a purse, small backpack, and lunch bag into the office, I just pack everything- including my camera- into this one bag. It's awesome. And I look so much less like a crazy person when I don't have to waddle through the parking lot with a million bags looped around me. The best part? It's comfortable. Sure, it's still a heavy bag after all that stuff is packed inside, but one heavy bag is better than three. The front pockets are large enough to keep my wallet, extra notebook, phone, and a small arsenal of lip balm, and there are about three other pockets that I haven't yet filled (but you can bet I will). So yes, I'm a Jo Totes convert now, my poor camera is no longer floating freely in the bottom of a cotton tote, smashing into door frames and rolling around in the car. No more broken lenses.

On another note, it's almost April, there were four inches of snow on the ground yesterday, and I'm wearing heavy layers. It feels like January. I've been optimistically mixing lighter colors into my outfits, in hopes of coaxing out the spirit of spring. But it's not working. Aaaaand, this brooch is the coolest thing ever- it's painted silk. I found two of them, the other is much simpler, but I love how modern this one is.


Porcelain Eleanor said...

your hair looks so cute! Love what you're wearing, as usual!
Eleanor x


Adrienne Scott-Trask said...

That bag is amazing!! I've been looking for something like that!
Also, loving that jacket....it's beautiful!!
-Adrienne. xo


☯ZERO STYLE☯ said...

I'm glad you posted this! I have been thinking about getting the houndstooth bag from Jo Totes for quite some time now. I wasn't sure though, because that's a lot of money, and I didn't know anyone else who had one. I think I am convinced now!

Orchid Grey said...

Erin, I definitely recommend them. I think The Dainty Squid or the Beautiful Mess girls have the houndstooth style, if you wanted to see it in action. They're all faux-leather, but amazing quality.

Megan Colwell said...

Lady, lady, lady. You always stun me. That collar detail has inspired me to get back into brooch collecting. People use to call me an "Old Lady" but I don't care. I LOVE it!

The Nautical Owl

Girl and Closet said...

Aw, hope spring comes for you soon, Julie. We're finally getting hit with spring weather and it's been pretty fantastic. I was beyond done with our winter this year... it was so grey & rainy here in Vancouver. Gross!!

You are looking as gorgeous as ever - your layers look stunningly chic + you've got me sold on that bag. Need one. ASAP! I'm usually the girl with three bags! Haha! xo

blue roses said...

i was on the prowl for a laptop bag that was leather and structured, like that, but also large enough to, you know, actually transport my laptop... it was impossible to find something both attractive and functional in my price range. i ended up getting this sort of lame, but not horrible, red michael kors tote, for cheap; my computer fits and it is easy to carry and stuff more crap in.

anyway, very envious of your bag!

for the first time in ages, the sun is shining here and it can almost pass for spring, almost. i nearly did a jig...

Jennifer said...

I have a total crush on your bag!

xo Jennifer


Amia said...

Love your hair!!

Heidi said...

Love this! I think you just planed my outfit for tomorrow. -Heidi http://fabricandfrosting.blogspot.no/

Heidi said...

Love this! I think you just planed my outfit for tomorrow. -Heidi http://fabricandfrosting.blogspot.no/

Izzy Hayes said...

Your outfit is glorious :)

what to wear/ said...

The longest winter ever!! Although I'm loving your faux fur and braids!


m+o said...

LOVE the bag and the rigs :) super cute!

Chianne Hood said...

Beautiful outfit! I'm eagerly awaiting your hair post--it's so pretty!

Melina and Meg said...

The coat/this whole look is amazing. I especially love the braids with that collar! Love it. And that bag is now on my wish list.



Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...


Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!