Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Under Covers

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
In this outfit:
Jacket: Vintage Lee/Avalon ($18)
Cardigan (under): J.Crew 
Scarf: Swapped
Hat: Old most likely Chris's
Skirt: Thrifted ($2)
Tee c/o Lulu's
Belt: Vintage/Avalon ($12)
Bracelet: Vintage/from childhood
Bag: Vintage Coach/Thrifted ($10-ish?)
Boots: Thrfited ($3)

Where I wore it: All over town on Sunday-- to Construction Junction, the Center for Reuse, Phipps Conservatory, errands around the neighborhood.

After Thanksgiving, the weather decided to act like winter, and I couldn't be happier. This year I'm embracing boots, wool, and layers-upon-layers-- and I'm actually excited about the cold season ahead. I've never been much of a boot person, disliking wearing shoes in general I either like my footwear to be completely ridiculous or almost nothing, but I'm trying to approach the possibility of practical boots with an open mind. Looking for lots of inspiration on Pinterest doesn't hurt either.

I've been looking forward to truly wintry weather so I could break out some of the heavier maxi- and midi skirts that I've added to my collection recently. This plaid skirt is by far my favorite, with a pattern that will be easy enough to replicate-- it's in my plan to make a few similar. To add warmth and keep the unlined wool from bothering me I wore tights and layered a longer slip beneath, and layered up a cardigan and jacket over my almost-nothing tee to stay warm. I can't not continue to wear tee shirts in cold weather, the soft fabric is a relief worn under heavy sweaters. I just had my jacket off for a few minutes while we took pictures though, and man it was cold!

13 comments:

Sydney said...

I like the combination! nothing like the comfort of tons of layers in winter <3

Star White said...

Wow, girl. Just stumbled on to your blog and I'm so in love with your style! It's amazing!
I'm also a big thrifter so I appreciate your great finds!

Blessings!

www.beautyandbows.com

Cait Val said...

LIVING for your plaid maxi!!!! a unique piece yet everyone should own one!!!! love the way you've styled it!!

xo. c & v
cake & valley

Bethany said...

Not sure how I feel about the skirt, but you still look great!

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

Really good thrifted denim jackets are so hard to find and you hit the jackpot with this one! I've been on the hunt for the perfect one for many moons. I know it's out there somewhere. Great find & love how you styled it!

Orchid Grey said...

Mousevox: Thank you! That's exactly the reason I didn't have a problem spending a little more on this jacket. I feel like all the ones I've seen previously either had huge shoulders or were too boxy. Happy hunting, I'm sure you'll find the right one soon!

☯ZERO STYLE☯ said...

i may just have to go off in search of maxi skirts now!

Jules said...

I adore your outfit, your skirt is really beautiful!
xoxo

Melissa said...

That skirt is gorgeous. It just started snowing today and I'm really looking forward to layering!

<3 Melissa
wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

Femke said...

Brilliant, love the plaid skirt!

ROR said...

that's a $2 skirt? $2??? lucky duck!

sweet harvest moon said...

<3

Cuddly Cacti said...

wow amazing find on that skirt- what a steal & fits you amazingly!! You def rock the maxi skirt look a lot better than my figure. love the simplicity here again. you look like an american apparel model in that last one (in the best way... not in the questionable ways). glad you're ready for the cold!
http://dusanabotswana.com/

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!