Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Layers Only

November 2-6
November 2-3
November 2-1
November 2-2
November 2-7
November 2-5
In this outfit:
Sweater: Vintage cashmere/ Thrifted ($5-ish)
Dress: Swapped
Belt: Vintage Dior/ Thrifted ($2)
Boots: Plume/ Beacon's Closet ($60)
Socks: Urban Outfitters ($14)
Bracelet: Thrifted ($2)

Where I wore it: To the office!

Sometimes when I can't think of a title for a post, I'll search one word in my iTunes to see what song titles come up. When I searched "layers", I got two hits: Players Only by R. Kelly, and the instrumental version of Dancing Queen by the String Tribute Players (we downloaded it for our wedding because we're classy like that). I think the choice was clear. R. Kelly pun it is.

I wore this at the end of last week. After five straight days of rain, I just wanted to wear something nice, and this outfit came together pretty naturally. I bought these boots on my whirlwind trip to NYC a couple of weeks ago, and when I set them down in my closet, they landed beneath the hem of this floral dress I scored at a clothing swap earlier in the month. I just really liked how the colors looked together in my closet, so after a few additions this is what I ended up with-- and I love it.

I feel as if this is a good example of how to transition a summer dress to fall/winter. The dress itself is fairly gauzy with a loose fitting top, so in order to give it some structure I added a tighter sweater and a waist-defining belt, and to keep it from sticking to my tights, I layered a slip beneath. I think next time, I won't wear black tights, but a lighter, less eye-catching color-- although truthfully, I don't really mind the effect.

PS- Go Vote! Need to find your polling place? Here's a funny website to help you!