Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Layers Only

November 2-6
November 2-3
November 2-1
November 2-2
November 2-7
November 2-5
In this outfit:
Sweater: Vintage cashmere/ Thrifted ($5-ish)
Dress: Swapped
Belt: Vintage Dior/ Thrifted ($2)
Boots: Plume/ Beacon's Closet ($60)
Socks: Urban Outfitters ($14)
Bracelet: Thrifted ($2)

Where I wore it: To the office!

Sometimes when I can't think of a title for a post, I'll search one word in my iTunes to see what song titles come up. When I searched "layers", I got two hits: Players Only by R. Kelly, and the instrumental version of Dancing Queen by the String Tribute Players (we downloaded it for our wedding because we're classy like that). I think the choice was clear. R. Kelly pun it is.

I wore this at the end of last week. After five straight days of rain, I just wanted to wear something nice, and this outfit came together pretty naturally. I bought these boots on my whirlwind trip to NYC a couple of weeks ago, and when I set them down in my closet, they landed beneath the hem of this floral dress I scored at a clothing swap earlier in the month. I just really liked how the colors looked together in my closet, so after a few additions this is what I ended up with-- and I love it.

I feel as if this is a good example of how to transition a summer dress to fall/winter. The dress itself is fairly gauzy with a loose fitting top, so in order to give it some structure I added a tighter sweater and a waist-defining belt, and to keep it from sticking to my tights, I layered a slip beneath. I think next time, I won't wear black tights, but a lighter, less eye-catching color-- although truthfully, I don't really mind the effect.

PS- Go Vote! Need to find your polling place? Here's a funny website to help you!

31 comments:

A Stylized Hysteria said...

This is a really pretty outfit! Your point about adding a slip is key; I tried to "winterize" a summer skirt and spent the day fighting static cling. :(

Melissa said...

I love this look. The way you styled this skirt is perfect for autumn/winter. Thanks for the inspiration!


<3 Melissa
wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

kimberrleigh said...

Love this outfit! It's finally getting cooler here, but still warm. I may have to mimic this :)

<3
carelessly graceful

hayley said...

youre so pretty <3

CreatureType.com said...

The colors in this outfit are so dreamy! I love stacking the layers onto light, summery outfits to make them appropriate for colder days!

Laura Go said...

your layering skillz are AMAZEBALLS. I love the florals in that skirt and the cutout details in those boots!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
the shop of worldly delights

Jennifer said...

Holy amazing boots!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Agnus said...

This skirt is simply beautiful. I really like your outfit :)

And I'm a sucker for such socks :P Remind me of school uniforms ;)

woreout said...

Slips have become an essential part of my winter wardrobe, I tried to go without one last week and spent the whole day peeling my skirt off my tights, no bueno. I think your layers were spot on and those boots are what dreams are made of!

Heidi said...

Those boots are great with the cut outs! -Heidi http://fabricandfrosting.blogspot.no/

The Braided Bandit said...

I love the layers! I actually thought it was funny when I saw this, because I just did a guest post today wearing a very similar outfit (even with the same hemline!) on how to transition a summer dress into fall today here :)
http://messagesonanapkin.blogspot.com/2012/11/guest-post-hannah-from-braided-bandit.html

Hope you're having a great day!
xo Hannah

Cait Val said...

obsessing over this look! love the layers of the socks, boots, & tights!!! you are looking fine lady!!

xo. c & v
cake & valley

sweet harvest moon said...

such a cozy and feminine fall look!

Meg! said...

HOly crap. Those boots are amazing!! I love how you can see your socks through them!

Mackenzie said...

i love the idea of socks + tights under a dress! i haven't been wearing my skirts and dresses lately because it's been so cold but i will definitely try this :) also i love how you used the song title, made me laugh out loud!!

Mackenzie
www.birdfriend.tumblr.com

irene wibowo said...

love the dress. :)
Irene Wibowo

Ally said...

Beyond fabulous. The boots are amazing, though I'm amazed you can stay in them all day! Love the pop of the red tights.

Came across a great tip for static cling recently, which is to spray clothes with hairspray. It works great & I'd rather spritz my clothes with a bit of my health food store hairspray than weirdo highly chemically Static Guard.

kaila mo said...

beautiful outfit, i love this! your skirt is so pretty, and your boots are AWESOMEEEE! i love your style :)

laniza said...

I love how the boots give this outfit a touch of 'bad ass'.

Marina said...

I need to know: how do you get so much volume on your hair? I have lots of hair too, but it seems to get weighed down by my length. How do you do it? So pretty!

BuenoBueno said...

I LOVE THIS! that pop of color is perfect.
xo
k

Orchid Grey said...

Marina, I have extremely thick, but very fine hair so it tends to stay pretty light. I have it cut with multiple layers throughout and the stylist thins it a bit when I get it cut. When I'm not out and about, it's usually in a loose topknot, which also lends it some volume when I take it down :)

One Girl said...

pinned this Stevie Nicks gypsy outfit for inspiration. love it

Jules said...

I love your blog and your style. This look is amazing.
I will follow you.
xoxo

Sarah K. said...

I love LOVE everything about this outfit!
it's a great way to wear summer dresses in colder weather; I'm staying home for a while, and my mom keeps telling me I can't wear certain things anymore because they're "for summer." she doesn't get layering. :)
the boots are a great find, too!

bedroomocean.blogspot.com


Anonymous said...

I absolutely am in love with you style. Can you please share the brand of these beautiful boots. I realize that this is a post from last year but I just need to know!

Orchid Grey said...

Anon- thank you so much for reading and for your kind words! I'll definitely check the brand when I get home tonight!

Anonymous said...

you are beyond awesome...Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hey beautiful did you get a chance to get a glimpse at the brand of the boots for me?

Orchid Grey said...

@Anon- the brand is Plomo :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!