Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sunny Side

In this outfit:
Coat: Gentle Fawn from ModCloth
Cardigan: J.Crew (last year)
Shirt: American Apparel (2010)
Skirt: Vintage Pendleton (2010)
Tights: American Apparel ($25)
Belt: Dior/ Thrifted ($2)
Shoes: Bass/ Thrifted ($7)
Purse: Coach/ Thrifted ($10-ish)
Bat Earrings c/o Spotted Moth

Where I wore it: To the office, out for dinner with coworkers.

It's that time of year when the itemized list of what is on my body nearly triples. The mornings lately have been wonderfully foggy and cold, calling for coats, and scarves, and extra layers. This is the first year that I am intentionally building up my coat closet, adding some variety. Coats- for the most part- have always been an incidental to me, mostly just something to throw on to keep warm between the house and whatever job I'm headed to. But this year, I've set out to make them more a part of my wardrobe. I've thrifted a few, and bought a couple new coats as well, including this Gentle Fawn coat, which I fell in love with as soon as the sample turned up on the rack at work. I feel like maybe having a few nice coats on hand will make the dark days of late fall and winter ahead a little more interesting.

The rest of my outfit just came together naturally. I somehow managed to not wear this skirt once last year, despite it being one of my favorite basics, so I pulled it out and added a few more basics for good measure. And these bat earrings! I'm usually not one for post earrings, but I love these. I've been wearing them non-stop lately.

26 comments:

kimberrleigh said...

Gah, so jealous of how perfect your outfits are! And those earrings are awesome!

<3
carelessly graceful

jenloveskev said...

oh swoon! Can I please not be pregnant anymore? xoxo ;)

Liz Lauren said...

love the second look so much!


http://lavieenliz.com

Angie D said...

I love it! Your outfits are always killer! But, my favorite is how you take something so feminine, maybe school girlish (which I LOVE), but you don't look too young but rather chic. Perfect.

I'm building on my coat collection as well! I'm tired of thinking of my coats as if they are their own entity when indeed they are an accessory. Plus, there seems to be a TON of cute coats on the market this fall :).

pearli said...

perfectly coordinated & so complimentary. with badass yet simultaneously sweet jewelry. nailed. as always.

Romina-Santana-Art said...

Totally love that outfit! I would wear it too! I like how it is very classic and rather conservative but still subtely sexy and edgy =)

Anonymous said...

your hair is not of this earth

Adrienne Scott-Trask said...

Great look!! I love that jacket!
-Adrienne. xo

http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com
http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

great outfit! love those earrings-- I would wear them non-stop too :)
Oh, My

☯ZERO STYLE☯ said...

oh those tiny bat earrings are so precious! i love bass oxfords so much. those were a great find!

lauren, curious constellation said...

This whole ensemble is perfect.

The Littlest Smitten said...

Love this outfit. Theses shoes are amazing!

Kitsune-kun said...

I cannot believe you thrifted those shoes! they are SO so cute.

CreatureType.com said...

Aww, your little bat earrings! I love them. :')

I have the same attitude about coats this year! I'd like to make a few vintage purchases with fur collars!

Laura said...

I love this outfit - so classy! I can't blame you for falling in love with that coat, it's lovely. I think I might have to pick up a pair of those bat earrings...

thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

Ally said...

Fab! Love your outfits in the last two posts. You motivate me to get out of my own dressing comfort zone & wear the fun stuff / layer more interestingly!

The cats must be kinder to you... your tights are in one piece!

Jennifer said...

I wish I had such a cozy, chic sweater right now!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Porcelain Eleanor said...

such a lovely outfit, I'm on the lookout for a nice cardigan like that at the moment, yours is such a good fit, you know not too baggy, I love it!
Eleanor x

guessingandchecking said...

I love that coat! It is so pretty and interesting.

I love the idea of having a nice coat collection. I think it makes the prospect of facing cold winter days so much brighter.

Meg! said...

I'm feeling the coat thing! I love winter coats so much, and I'm hoping to branch out and buy a few different ones for this winter. And can I just say you are looking ACE in that coat! And your haaaiiirrrr. Ugh, you gorgeous lady. Stop it.

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

love your coat and the cute chambray top!

Xo,
steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Kat said...

Goodness, those Bass shoes are an amazing thrift find! They look great with your outfit too.

http://swagnstyle.blogspot.ca

immerlight said...

Love your outfit!!!!

http://beautyofheworld.blogspot.be/

Anonymous said...

Lovely! This really is casual-chic perfection. You're always such an inspiration. Love from The Netherlands.

Dawn said...

Julie I have often wondered why you don't model for mod cloth. I know they love you and hired you for their blog among other things but why in the world are you not their most coveted model? If you would rather answer this in an email then d_flexe@yahoo.com I love how you are purposely buying coats. Beautiful coats too! Dawn suitcase vignettes

Melody said...

LOVE that coat! I've been looking for some patterned coats instead of the typical dark peacoat.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!