Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Little White Dress

In this outfit:
Jacket: BB Dakota (last year, similar)
Dress: Urban Outfitters ($15 sale)
Tights: American Apparel super opaque ($25)
Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell (old)
Bracelet: Thrifted ($2)

Where I wore it: To the office

This weekend, the cat situation regressed to near-disastrous levels (I have the bandages on my arm to prove it), so I stayed out of the house (after separating the cats of course), and did some therapy shopping. Therapy shopping is always better when there's a sale, so I was super happy when I walked into UO to find they were offering an extra 50% off sale prices. I saw this white dress a few months ago, and fell in love, but I loved it even more for $15 bucks! It's definitely a summery dress, but it's not cotton (personally a straight cotton dress is a little too summery for me to transition) so with a slip and tank top layered underneath, it works for cooler weather too. Do you wear slips? I purchase half slips second hand (in good condition of course) to wear with skirts and dresses, and then cut them to the length I need. As long as the slip is polyester or nylon, it won't fray, and will act as a lining for an unlined piece of clothing. They're especially handy when you're wearing tights, your dress won't bunch or stick to your legs.

After living in jeans for the past couple of weeks, it was so nice to put on a dress. The weather had been hovering in the high 60's to 70's, making it a little tough to put on tights, but Monday morning, the temp dropped. We even had to turn the heat on last night. And, man it's really starting to get dark out earlier! I rushed home after work yesterday so Chris could take some pictures and we had about 10 minutes before we lost the light. All last week it was either raining or too dark, so I think it's time we change our photo schedule! Here's to waking up even earlier in order to take pictures!

P.S. I have an interview up on the Propelle blog today, if you're interested in reading it, you can find it here!

30 comments:

Tinacious Me said...

Love the maroon socks & heels! What a lovely look!
~www.Tinacious.Me~

Emily Baker said...

it looks great. and totally got a hat for like 2 bucks at UO the other day. Love it!

Angie D said...

So gorgeous! I'm in love with that dress :)

jamie cassell said...

Yes, I just love the pop of maroon under the white dress. Adorable outfit.

Adrienne Scott-Trask said...

So pretty!! I love those shoes!
-Adrienne. xo

http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com
http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com

Bethany said...

You are absolutely gorgeous!

http://bethsquidly.blogspot.com/

chantilly said...

i so adore that coat!! i've been searching for a sweater with a print like that, as well. x

☯ZERO STYLE☯ said...

i love this look! you're basically an expert at transitional outfits. this reminds me, i need some fall tights.

Dawn said...

Always inspired by your clothing choices Julie. I am so glad that we finally have some chilly weather here too. Your sweater is really hip, I am loving it with your new dress. Really lovely. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

Chelle Lynn said...

I always hated slips as a kid, but I'm definitely thinking about trying them again. Some dresses just need another layer, especially with those pesky tights always sticking!

Monse Fuentes said...

lovely dress!




El blog de Monse
El blog de Monse
El blog de Monse

Anastasia from Natbeesfashion said...

What a lovely dress (and bargain for 15bucks!) I dont wear slips but seems like a great idea since most dresses stick to my legs.
It is also getting dark in here and boy its cold!
xo
Anastasia

Lisa Price said...

Adore your outfit! Especially the gorgeous matte tights.

Xo.

www.lisapriceinc.com
@LPriceSOright

meghan said...

I always envy your ability to rock sky-high platforms!

#8o3
Meghan
alionheartblog.blogspot.com

kittenhood said...

I love the dress, eyelet is adorable!

The Dainty Squid said...

Your hair looks ridiculously amazing in these pictures! I'm seriously jealous of how thick it looks.

lauren, curious constellation said...

Thanks for the little tip about slips. My dresses often bunch so I'll definitely be on the lookout for slips next time I go thrifting.

Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky said...

This is quite possibly my favorite outfit of yours of all time. If not favorite, then at least top 5. That dress is just perfection. I wanted that coat so bad last year but I never ended up snagging it. Oh, regrets!

erin (calivintage) said...

ohhh girl, you probably get hair comments all of the time, but i just have to say those waves look perfect!

Koko said...

Wow, i love the jacket, looks so great with this dress!

Lianna J said...

Love the dress and tights combo. sure cute with the shoes :)

Jennifer said...

I love how you transition your summer dresses into fall/winter :)

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Cai said...

Absolutely gorgeous..definitely one of my favorite outfit posts ever! :)
<3,
Cai
www.caidailyrant.blogspot.com

LoveCharlesVintage said...

I remember debating getting that coat and I wish I had! I love the mix of summer and fall here though, you styled a great outfit!

Laura said...

Oh man, what a gorgeous outfit from top to bottom. I love what you did with your hair!

I've never been much of one for slips until recently. I got a dress that I loved, but it had a wicked case of static cling - so I took out the attached slip from one of my other dresses, and it worked like a charm! I'm a convert now :)

thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

Charlotte S said...

This is probably one of the most gorgeous dresses I've ever seen. And I can't believe you got it for only $15. Such an amazing find! I love how you paired it with the dark maroon tights, too. It works so well for fall!

Melissa said...

That's such a good deal on that dress! And it's so gorgeous. I love how you paired it with the tights for an autumn look.


<3 Melissa
wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Such a cute outfit! And that jacket I am absolutely in love! I really need to find one like that before it starts getting too cold up here on the mountain!

Elizabeth said...

I am in love! What a beautiful dress and for what a steal! I love UO's sales. Those maroon tights look great with the white of the dress and those shoe! I just love this whole outfit!

http://suburbanclad.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Such a girly and beautiful little dress! It looks amazing on you!

Good luck,

Heather

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!