Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wedding Bells

In this outfit:
Dress: Dear Golden Vintage ($125)
Petticoat: altered vintage ($10)
Tap shorts (similar) c/o Ruche
Heels: Seychelles (bought on super sale from work but still available here)
Belt: J.Crew outlet ($24)

Where I wore it: To my oldest friend's wedding!

When we first began planning our trip home, one thing we knew was exactly which date we would be planning around: July 20th, the date of my oldest friend's wedding. Let me tell you, I love weddings, and when I found out Spring was engaged, I was over the moon! She and I have been friends since before we were born, our mothers met in Lamaze class, and the rest is history.

A fancy occasion called for a fancy dress, something that- surprisingly- I felt my closet to be lacking. I have plenty of slightly dressier dresses, and honestly I probably could have found something to wear (let's not kid ourselves) but when I spied this neon 60's dress in the Dear Golden shop, I snatched it up. I fell in love with the psychedelic print- which reminds me of vintage surf movies- and love how it contrasts with the lady-like silhouette, plus it's light and airy and perfect for dancing. And let me tell you, I'm a dancer. By that, I don't mean that I took dance lessons- I'm a ballet drop-out- what I mean is: I freaking love to dance. Is there music, preferably the kind your parents like? Is there space to twirl and wave my arms around? Good, that's all I need. Also, these shoes: I lasted all night in them, which is unprecedented.

It was great to be up in Belfast again, one of my favorite parts of Maine that I rarely get to visit. Chris and I stayed in a motel, and wandered around the village for awhile the next morning, before heading back towards Portland. I was hoping to find the carved pilings from the last time I was there, but no such luck, the tide was up and my memory of where they actually were was fuzzy. The last time I was in Belfast, I was an admissions counselor, which feels like a million years ago. It's crazy how much life can change in three years.

31 comments:

Mandy said...

YOU LOOK AMAZING IN THIS DRESS!!! <3

Meg said...

I like your clever belt looping.

Jhan said...

Such a wonderful post. I've always wondered what it was like to have a forever friend. I guess it's kind of like this. :-) I love the floral print of this dress and how you paired it (petticoat and all).

Thea vintage said...

Beautiful! Love that dress!

http://theas-vintage.blogspot.se/

Hattitude said...

that dress is out of this word!!! wow wow wow. i found a similiar one at annie cream cheese in washington DC. i was instantly drawn to the vibrant vintage pyschodelic colours as well!
you wear it so well. i love the neon belt you paired with it.
i can't believe those shoes lasted you the whole night! what a great investment!

talk soon wild child
-Hattie
Hattitude Style Blog

holly [at] covetous creatures said...

I love the twirling photo! I am so not a dancer, but even wallflowers need cute tap shorts to pair with flippy dresses. I'm still searching for the perfect gaudy sequins bloomers to wear on windy days.

Orchid Grey said...

Holly: Oh my gosh, I was so glad i wore them too! I didn't quite realize just how flippy this dress even was until I got there. the wind kept blowing it up.

Bethany said...

Gosh, Julie, you are so pretty! I love this dress. I'm glad you got to go back up to Maine. :)

Emily Baker said...

oh man. that dress is INSANE.

BAM said...

These colors are enchanting! Love it.

ChicRedneck.blogspot.com

Justalazymorning said...

beautiful like always!!

blue roses said...

that dress is stunning, perfect mix of whimsical and sophisticated. hope you twirled the night away!

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

Seychelles Footwear said...

Beautiful! Thanks for wearing Seychelles :)

Orchid Grey said...

Seychelles: Thanks for making awesome shoes that I'm able to cut a rug in!

Lauren said...

What a gorgeous dress! On the one hand, the shape is so classic, and yet at the same time it's so bold and bright! I have extreme closet envy right now...

hello DODO said...

WOW!

This dress is flipping amazing! I need something like this in my wardrobe!

Jennifer said...

That dress is perfect for a wedding! Congratulations to your friend!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

laetitiasweeneyrose.wordpress.com said...

You look amazing.:D
Kiss.
www.laetitiasweeneyrose.wordpress.com

Ally said...

You look stupendous in it! Great hair, accessories & polish, too...

Natalie Rose said...

Such an amazing dress color! Love your hair too :)
Goldinloxxx.blogspot.com

sweet harvest moon said...

Beautiful dress!

Heidi said...

The dress looks wonderful on you and so perfect to twirl in! -Heidi http://fabricandfrosting.blogspot.no

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica Broyles said...

Pretty dress! I love the colors!

www.highheelstosneakers.com

Marlena said...

oh man this dress is SO cute! i especially love the one where you're jumping haha, good thing you wore something under =P

HollyDolly said...

Holy cannoli, this dress is GORGEOUS on you! So cheerful!

charity victoria said...

You look so lovely, as always. I work at a resort & waitress at weddings every weekend, so I see a loooot of wedding style, and I wish I saw more dresses like this instead of the tight, bright, ruched things I'm used to. Glad you had a fun trip! xo

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

aw, i cant imagine how incredible it must have felt to watch your best friend get married. i love the dress!

Xo,
steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Caitie Schlisserman said...

the fit and amazing vibrant colors of this dress are truly unbeatable! so in love with it.

xxx
www.ladyalamode.com

bonnie m. said...

We stopped in Belfast on our way home from Swans Island a couple weeks ago. It is easily one of my favorite New England towns, and we have decided that we MUST move there in the next five years. I'll let you know when we make it.

Jamie Rose said...

Aw it's always great when there's an occasion to wear a fancy dress! This one is particularly cute. I love the fun, full skirt on it and the colors are fantastic too.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!