Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Self Portrait with Braids

In this outfit:
Top: American Eagle ($25)
Skirt c/o Lulu's
Sandals c/o Blowfish (c. 2010) 
Earrings c/o Noble Town Vintage (c. 2011)
Bag c/o Ruche
Flower: from my garden

Where I wore it: To the office on Friday

After two days of working from home and watching Zephyr like a hawk, I really needed to feel like I looked nice when I went back into the office last Friday. My work from home outfits often consist of cut-off shorts, flip flops, and a ratty sweatshirt or tee-shirt, the farthest thing from pretty or put-together. This outfit fit the bill perfectly, and as an added bonus, it felt like I was wearing pajamas. I've been relishing this late-summer weather, deciding to fully embrace the warmth and not force fall to get here faster than it needs to. This time of year, I often find myself adding a sweater here and there, maybe even breaking out an unnecessary pair of boots in anticipation of the season ahead. I know soon enough that I'll be freezing and dreary, pining for these sunny warm days. I'd better bask in it while I can.

Thank you to everyone who left kind thoughts for Zephyr's recovery on Friday's post, it means so much to me, and I feel for those of you who have had similar experiences. It's so frustrating having an ill pet, they can't tell you how they feel- if they're feeling better or worse. Thankfully, Zephyr seems to be doing much better, and is even taking his medicine like a champ. We've had to make some adjustments to their food, namely taking away their dry food (to which there has been much cat-complaining).

And thank you also for those who wished us a happy anniversary! I sat for awhile yesterday morning, trying to find a picture to post to commemorate the day, and then I realized that I would rather just get-out and enjoy it. We went hiking on Sunday at Ohiopyle and out to an amazing dinner last night. I've been shooting a lot of our weekend trips on film and saving up the rolls, I have my fingers crossed they come out, and if they do, I'll be sure to post some.

And one more thank you, to the kind reader who said hello to me this weekend: I'm sorry I was awkward and caught off guard. My mind was thinking about my long walk home from where I was, thank you for saying hello!

PS- If you'd like to recreate this braided hairstyle, the instructions can be found here.  For more hairstyling tips, click here.

29 comments:

modern Suburbanites said...

you look so gorgeous! i love this look.

www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

Bethany said...

I'm so glad Zephyr is doing better. My cat Queequeg had major surgery a couple of years ago and we were told he may not make it. It was the hardest thing I think I've ever been through - He's happy and healthy as he's ever been, now. :)

Love your hair in this too, and that skirt!!

Tinacious Me said...

your hair is absolutely gorgeous!
*www.tinaciousme*

Liz Lauren said...

love the skirt!

http://lavieenliz.com

Lauren- Old Red Boots said...

You look so lovely. Very Frida with the braids.

So happy to hear Zephyr is doing well.

jamie cassell said...

I wish I could run into you sometime. I would love to be IRL pals!
I'm glad to hear Zephyr is doing well and feeling a little better. Congrats again on your anniversary and hope you have a great week!

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

i love maxi skirts, they do feel like pj's! such a cute top!

Xo,
steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

A Stylized Hysteria said...

I really love this outfit. I remember admiring that top on American Eagle's website and now I wish I'd bought it.

Glad to hear My. Zephyr is doing well!

Moorea Seal said...

Gorgeous x50. Love this outfit!
xo Moorea

Shannon said...

The cat I had growing up got kidney stones and after that, the vet recommended no more dry food for her. Granted she had special wet food, but we didn't have any more problems with that. I don't know what brand of dry food you use, but a lot of it is filled with unnecessary stuff that's not good for the kitties :(

Sarah @Tulle and Trinkets said...

This is one of my favorite outfits of yours! I adore it. The skirt is gorgeous, and the top is adorable.

Glad to hear your kitty is feeling better. I always get really stressed and anxious when ours aren't feeling their best.

Elaine said...

LOVE the hair!

Jennifer said...

Favorite look from you ever!
Happy anniversary :)

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Bea said...

Aw you look great Julie! Kind of like Frida Kahlo - kinda in a way. Glad Z is feeling better, and glad you had a nice August 20th. Xo.

blue roses said...

so glad to hear zephyr is doing better, and is willingly taking medicine! so upsetting, but glad he seems to be on the mend.

also glad the anniversary went well; sounds lovely!

cannot wait to see some of those weekend photographs, hope they turn out.

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

Shey said...

This looks reminds me of Frida Kahlo.

Heidi said...

Love the braids! -Heidi http://fabricandfrosting.blogspot.no/

Alaina Moore said...

Hey Julie! My name's Alaina, I'm the gal that said hi to you the other day. I'm always the weirdo saying hi to bloggers I read; though it did happen to me *once* through my livejournal! My friend has a kitty with a UTI and it's just horrible. I actually just saw a patient of mine who's a vet, and he's actually one of the (seemingly) few that are on board w/ wet food for cats. I've been poring over catinfo.org for tips to make my cats healthier. Cute outfit, as always.

The Braided Bandit said...

This is gorgeous, I am loving the pops of pink and red everywhere! Glad your kitty is doing better and you got to thoroughly enjoy your anniversary!
xo Hannah

The Littlest Smitten said...

Your hair and flowers are so pretty. Lovely outfit. Glad to hear you had a great weekend with your sweetie and that your cat is doing better. Have a great week! Holly

Anonymous said...

You look so beautiful.

/Kaisu

Rosy (of Raindrops on Rosy) said...

Hope your kitty is doing better! Glad you went out and enjoyed the anniversary:) I DO love the colorful milkmaid braids. they look so lovely on you. I love this amazing top with that long skirt. ugh so jealous of people who get to dress like this for work! I blogged about you today. ALL about you haha and talked about how I'm your legitimate stalker in the fall. cause, you know, you're such a babe:)

Melissa said...

this look reminds me of Frida Kahlo. So beautiful

<3 Melissa
wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

nitika said...

OMG you look soo pretty in these pictures.. I just adoreee your braid <3
I am following you know ! Hope you'll stop by my blog and follow if u like..
Love
Nitika
http://www.theshopaholic-diaries.com/2012/08/blogavon-12-bloggers-meet-with-avon.html

Becky said...

You are just so gorgeous! I love this look.

I used to be a very avid follower of fashion blogs, but have stopped reading them almost entirely. Your blog is (and has always been) interesting and innovative. I appreciate the open way that you write, and the lack of twee baloney in general.

Thank you for all the work you do with your blog!

Daniel Hirsch said...

Nice photographs.
modern wedding and portraits

laura-ChambrayandCurls said...

you look like Frida Khalo in these photos. Oh I cannot wait for my hair to be long enough for proper braids. So sorry to hear about your kitty troubles- oh too scary for a fellow cat mama!
xxx

Miki's scrapbook said...

Love the braids with the colorful touches and flowers ;).

Daniel Hirsch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!