Thursday, July 5, 2012

Summer Heat

In this outfit:
Top: thrifted ($5)
Skirt: Madewell from last year
Tote c/o Ruche
Sandals: Marshalls ($25)
Earrings: gift from Moorea Seal
Bracelet: Thrifted ($2)

Where I wore it: A taco date!

When it's too hot to cook- which it has been for pretty much the past two weeks- there's only one thing to do: have someone else cook for you. This past weekend, we hit our limit for how much heat and humidity we could stand inside our apartment and decided the only way to feel better was tacos. Lots of tacos. Outside of the office, I've been living in the same cut-off shorts and ratty tank top day after day, so I decided to dress up a little. This little crop top was a thrift find from over the winter, one of those summery items that despite being way out of season, I just couldn't say no to. Plus, it's silk, and if there's anything that I can't say no to, it's silk. Paired with my other summer staples- jewelry that only touches your ears, and a straw tote bag- to me, it's the recipe for the perfect summer outfit.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but I find some of my best thrift scores out of season, few people are going to be looking for sweaters in July, and perhaps even fewer looking at the tank tops and breezy fabrics in the middle of frigid January. Also, if you're looking for crop tops and mini-dresses, always look in the children's section. I'm not saying to wear children's clothing, but I've found many a mis-categorized gem hiding between the Oshkosh. 

26 comments:

Chaucee said...

LOVE this look. It's definitely something I would wear. Too bad Madewell isn't selling that skirt! I remember when you wore it last year on your blog and fell in love with it then. I wish I would have snatched it up when I could! Those sandals are equally awesome. Love the straps.

Michal said...

Nothing beats tacos when it's hot out.. And wow I want this outfit so badly. It's purrrfect. I think I've decided your wardrobe is the one I most want to raid.

Chloe said...

Send some heat to rainy England!

Love the skirt, so pretty.

C x
http://www.memoirsofalittlethingcalledlife.com/

chillairandperfume said...

This is one of the prettiest skirts I've ever seen! You'll be able to mix it up so many different ways, but for now it is perfect for summer!

xo,
Hannah
www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Way to look breezy and chic even in this miserable heat! I really need to try thrifting for out-of-season items...

thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

Elaine said...

love this! you're so teeny!

blue roses said...

i frequently peruse the children's section, sometimes a tunic gets misplaced as a dress in there!

adore the skirt; while i hate any extra fabric on my body, i can rarely resist the long billowy flows of maxis!

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

The Braided Bandit said...

I totally feel you on the insane heat. I was just told that here in Colorado, it is not supposed to let up until the end of August, so I need to find some better ways to cope!
I escaped my terribly hot house for tacos and Pacifico too, it really is the perfect hot weather food! Loving the crop top & chevron earrings, & the out of season thrifting advice is terrific!
xo Hannah

Justalazymorning said...

really cute!
love the top

Marlena said...

i loooove this look- especially that cute crop top with that skirt- i'm obsessed with that skirt btw. this looks like the perfect sumemr outfit :)

Faith - Sweetened Style said...

I might just have to take your taco suggestion tonight. It's almost 100 here and there's no way I'm cooking!

Totally agree on the off season thrifting. In face, I thrifted an awesome sweater and pair of boots just this week! :-)

Sam said...

I'm so in love with that skirt! I'm going to have to keep my eyes pealed for one just like it.

laura fox gill said...

I'm not usually an outfit post fan, but feel the need to keep returning to this one--such lovely items! want! x

Jennifer said...

Love the top!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Ally said...

Love! Both the colors and proportions are very inspiring.

It's what I love about the evolution of fashion. If you'd told me a few years ago that I'd be wearing high-waisted skirts and crop tops, I would have said you were nuts! But the skirts are better designed, and it's always an interesting feeling to 'adjust the eye' to new silhouettes.

I find I always crave Mexican-inspired food in the summer! Something about the spices and other ingredients helping to cope with the heat...

octoberchic.com said...

Absolutely love that skirt!!! Great outfit.

octoberchic.com

Martina said...

u inspire me!
so glad following you.

Judy said...

The crop top looks really great with this skirt. Yum & yes to tacos! Those thrifting tips are so true. You never know what you're gonna find there.

Judy
SecondGlimpses.blogspot.com

Mici Mathonka said...

I love your skirt, I would shorten it , but the colors and cut is lovely..

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

i love those sandals so much! i keep searching for similar ones but just cant find em!

Xo,
steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Jamie Rose said...

I love these colors together. You look so breezy and summery. I'd love to have a crop top like that!

Anna said...

pretty look

Caitie Schlisserman said...

that skirt is all kinds of amazing!

xxx
www.ladyalamode.com

Kitsune-kun said...

oh IlovethisIlovethis!! everything looks SO good together!

Hanna Marie said...

I love the cropped top! Hanna Marie Lei

Nasrin said...

Found this picture on Pinterest and followed the links. Your blog is flawless and so is your style.

Great work.
x

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!