Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lulu's x Orchid Grey: Inspired by Carly Simon

For the month of June I've partnered with Lulu's.com to bring you a series of four posts, each one inspired by a different 1970's female musician. Check back every Tuesday to see my interpretation of an influential artist's signature look.
That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be by Carly Simon on Grooveshark
Haven't Got Time For the Pain by Carly Simon on Grooveshark

In this outfit: 
Top, Skirt, Wedges courtesy of Lulu's
Hat: Thrifted / Bracelets: Vintage

When I was in the sixth grade, I went as Carly Simon for Halloween. The definition of a failed costume, everyone just thought I was a hippie. Vague costume choices aside, like the other musicians I've featured, I've been a fan of Carly Simon's music for a long time, having first discovered her smiling face on the cover of one of my mother's records. It was that grin that first got me, wide, toothy, and completely confident- at the time I had the wide and toothy part down pat (with a little extra gum for good measure), confidence to come at a much later point. I love her strong voice, and- I'm postulating here- strong sense of self. Breezy skirts, a little crochet, a wide brim hat, and a smile or two for the camera.