Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lulu's x Orchid Grey: Inspired by Carly Simon

For the month of June I've partnered with Lulu's.com to bring you a series of four posts, each one inspired by a different 1970's female musician. Check back every Tuesday to see my interpretation of an influential artist's signature look.
That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be by Carly Simon on Grooveshark
Haven't Got Time For the Pain by Carly Simon on Grooveshark

In this outfit: 
Top, Skirt, Wedges courtesy of Lulu's
Hat: Thrifted / Bracelets: Vintage

When I was in the sixth grade, I went as Carly Simon for Halloween. The definition of a failed costume, everyone just thought I was a hippie. Vague costume choices aside, like the other musicians I've featured, I've been a fan of Carly Simon's music for a long time, having first discovered her smiling face on the cover of one of my mother's records. It was that grin that first got me, wide, toothy, and completely confident- at the time I had the wide and toothy part down pat (with a little extra gum for good measure), confidence to come at a much later point. I love her strong voice, and- I'm postulating here- strong sense of self. Breezy skirts, a little crochet, a wide brim hat, and a smile or two for the camera.

21 comments:

lauren, curious constellation said...

Love her music. You emulated her style perfectly.

Erica said...

It's so fun that you get to dress up like these crazy cool inspirational icons. You manage pick aspects of each musician's style to incorporate into your look and, yet, still manage to make it your own.

Bekuh said...

This may be my favorite interpretation yet. You look gorgeous and those shoes and top are fabulous.

Yelena said...

I absolutely love the way you styled this outfit! Simply amazing, those shoes with that skirt. Major kudos!

Tamara @ Go Fish Style said...

love it!

rebelrousher said...

Such a great summer boho look! The skirt and shoes are awesome :)

xx
Kat
rebelrousher.wordpress.com

wildchild said...

you are so gorgeous in this outfit. Carly Simon would be proud.

hello DODO said...

Dear lord, you are just so effortlessly beautiful!

Marlena said...

i was about to say that that skirt was amazing, but then i saw the shoes! amazing outfit, and i think you captured her perfectly. this is such a fun project!

Laura said...

I can't get over those shoes. Perfection!

thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

Aretha la Galleta said...

absolutly in love with your blog since right now... you're so beautiful and natural, i love so much.


a big fan from barcelona, pass if u like, i hope u enjoy


Love,

arethalagalleta.blogspot.com

Jessica Broyles said...

Love it! You kind of look like Carly Simon, anyway! That skirt is amazing!

www.highheelstosneakers.com

sweet harvest moon said...

Oh, Carly!
Love your music insprired outfits!

The Littlest Smitten said...

Love the way you styled this one. Those shoes are amazing!

♥ Cassandra (Backtofive) said...

Love everything about this outfit! :D

SO PRETTY!

backtofive.blogspot.com

Pins, Needles & Fashion said...

I love that floral maxi, the colors are perfect. I also love how you styled this look. You look great!

www.pinsneedlesfashion.blogspot.com

SWF_Terra said...

There is nothing more beautiful than being proud of the things that make you stand apart.

Also, I love how covered up you are but how saucy you look at the same time. I just love maxis for that. They're so sultry.

Jennifer said...

This is my favorite of this series so far :)

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Petunia Mae said...

Love this one Julie! Those shoes are amazeballs!

HM said...

I absolutely love this look! All the elements go together beautifully.

Ani said...

LOVE this look SO much!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!