Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 28, 2011: Navy, White, Gold

Blazer: Thrifted from the boys section ($5)
Shirt: Thrifted Ralph Lauren ($4)
Jean Shorts: Swapped jeans, cut
Belt: American Apparel
Loafers: Thrifted ($7)
Bag: Vintage Coach, Thrifted ($12)
Cat brooch: Vintage ($5)
Bracelet: Vintage ($5)
You know what's really great first thing in the morning? T.Rex radio on Pandora. This is making me really happy right now: T.Rex, Lou Reed, The Ramones, The Kinks, and The Zombies. That's a line up of almost all my favorite bands, and what I've heard in the past 20 minutes. I have this habit of sitting in silence when I'm working on the computer, usually I don't even notice it, but then I put on music and realize how nice it is to be surrounded by sound. Do you have any weird habits like that? I can seriously sit in silence for hours and not notice that I haven't said a thing.

Anyways, life observations aside. This is what I wore to last week's Earth Day clothing exchange. It wasn't intentional that almost everything is either thrifted or swapped, but a nice coincidence considering that it was Earth Day. This is one of my favorite outfits, it's easy to wear and feels pulled together but casual. I found this funny cat pin a couple of weeks ago at an antique store in Essex (The White Elephant- highly recommended), and the little feline reminded me of Zephyr in his jaunty-ness. I think it's pretty clear that I'm a sucker for anything gold with cats (i.e. the bracelet), I can't help it, I've always loved cats.

Yesterday turned out to be so beautiful! It got to be about 73 degrees, and all the pear trees along the streets flowered. When I left work last night it was still warm out, that's one of my favorite things: when you walk outside at night and it's warm. This post just turned into a list of my favorite things.

24 comments:

Florence said...

gorgeous outfit, pretty! followed you dear.

www.fantailflo.com

Kenzie said...

That cat pin is increcible and it pops on such a classic outfit!

amanda said...

oh i am so diggin this! it may be that i'm going to steal this outfit idea :) i think it's cool that almost everything is second hand. it definitely shows that you don't have to spend a lot or buy new to be stylish.

Emily Allison said...

whoa-you have superb taste in music! I love Pandora because you never quite know what you're going to get :) This outfit is also absolutely amazing. It's like my ideal look :)

the other emily said...

I do the same thing with music all the time. It was even worse when I was in school - I'd sit at my desk wearing headphones for hours with nothing coming out!

I love that feeling when you realize everything you're wearing is on its second (or third!) life - for a while I made a little resolution to wear at least one secondhand or self-made item every day, because wearing them just makes me feel that much better. I love this pairing of cutoffs with a snappy blazer - I may have to recreate it myself once I get back to my closet. :)

Santina said...

I want this outfit from head to toe. That is all. :)

cb said...

i love this outfit! i can't wait to wear shorts, summer can't come soon enough!

xo,
cb

Hilary Grace said...

So funny, last night I had the house to myself for the evening and about 2 hours in I realized that I was in total silence.. so I put music on (the new Panda Bear) and was so glad I did! In short, I do the same exact thing. It's so weird because my sister is totally opposite. The silence drives her crazy so she's always listening to music, no matter what.

wildchild said...

i was thinking the same thing last night- walking outside right into warm air surrounding you is heaven.

curious constellation said...

I have just loved your outfits recently! If I could, I'd live in button down shirts.

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

73 degrees is like the perfect temp! love your blazer!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Evita said...

Well, where to start. You cause me serious, very serious hair envy. Secondly, you manage to pull off wearing gold details, I hate gold but I love your outfits. And finally, I love that cat brooch so much!

emma basilone said...

love this outfit, it's awesome that everything is thrifted/swapped <3 it!

http://behindtheleopardglasses.blogspot.com/

Caroline said...

I love the blazer! How do you find such good thrifted stuff? Cute pin too.

Michal said...

So lovely! Your blazer & purse are so awesome. I love your cat jewelry too!! Also, I do the same thing on the computer.. I zone out for hours sometimes, & when I finally put on music, I wonder why I didn't have it on all along! Oh & your list of favorite musicians is very similar to mine- good taste. :]

Gabriella said...

I KNEW you had the best taste in music!

Admin said...

oh em gee, that cat pin is amazing!

Lexie, Little Boat said...

i love brooches on jackets! i have a little collection i keep rotating on my denim jacket. that cat is too cute.

lauraa said...

Good shorts. I'm desperate to find a pair that I look good in. you rock yours and I love it with this preppy style
xxx

Wangari said...

That cat pin is amaazing, and you look great in that chic and casual outfit.

Sara Shoemaker said...

LOVE the blazer.



House of Shoes

Mallory said...

T.Rex....Sigh.

And this outfit....Sigh.

Perfect all around.

Vanessa said...

Love that kitty broach! Too cute!!

Andrea said...

I'm looking for a blazer just like that right now... hoping to find it at a thrift store to avoid paying >$100 at J Crew. Any tips on scoring a great find like yours? Thanks!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!