Friday, March 25, 2011

March 25, 2011: Stripes, Leopard, and Khaki

Trench: GAP (Swapped)
Dress: H&M ($? old)
Belt: Vintage ($3?)
Tights: We Love Colors
Bag: Coach ($6 thrift)
Sunnies: Ray Ban ($60 TjMaxx)
I love outfits like this, comfortable and cool and comprised of my favorite things: leopard print and stripes. It's funny how well the two go together, considering how extreme they are. In fact, this week seems to have been all about breaking the fashion "rules": A maxi dress on a short girl, Blue and black worn together, and mixed patterns. Do you believe in fashion "rules"? I don't, at least not anymore, too much time is wasted on worrying whether colors match, whether wearing white shoes in winter is faux pas, and if you can wear a floral and stripe together. I say, go for it! If it looks intentional, people won't notice, and they probably won't care either. I declare leopard a neutral! Speaking of which, I've been on the hunt for a pair of leopard flats for what seems like forever, and I've finally found the pair! They remind me a little of Audrey Hepburn, a little demure with the cute bow.

My hair is what happens when you're outside in freezing temperatures teaching simple machines to fifth graders. I've been volunteering at the Shipbuilding Museum for the past two days and the weather has been less than ideal. When I got home yesterday afternoon my hair was one giant knot after being whipped around by the wind, so this is my lemonade out of lemons hairstyle. When all else fails, make a bun. These pictures probably make it seem like the weather was nice, believe me it wasn't until about 5 o'clock. It was raining, then snowing, then sleeting, all while remaining an unsavory 30 something degree.

A couple of readers asked what it is I do at the museum, I'm an educational volunteer. Lately I've been running the ship themed scavenger hunt, but I'm learning how to teach Simple Machines and the Steam Box. (This is not what I wear when I'm there)

Have a great weekend!