Monday, February 21, 2011

Over the Weekend: Mug-up at the Essex Shipbuilding Museum

Did you have a good weekend? After a very warm Friday (70 degrees!), we were back to chilly winter on Saturday, but I didn't let the freezing cold wind keep me inside. Bright and early Saturday morning I headed to Essex with a couple of friends for a mug-up at the Essex Shipbuilding Museum. What's a "mug-up" you ask? It's the Cape Ann term for a coffee break. The term comes from where the mugs are kept on a boat, usually they hang upside-down and you have to "turn your mug up" when you get your coffee. Waaay back boatbuilders preferred whiskey instead of coffee, but the drink of choice was changed in the name of productivity and cost. Anyway, the real reason we were there was to view the new schooner being built at H.A. Burnham across the way, the Ardelle. My friend Chris led the way as our guide, and despite the cold we all had a great time:
I'm volunteering at the Museum tomorrow and I'm really excited about it. I love this area of Massachusetts, mainly because it doesn't feel like Massachusetts. It's a completely different environment than Boston, or even the area of the Northshore that I live. I think I like it so much because it reminds me of Maine, and I miss living in Maine. We're back to winter again today, I woke up to snow, but admittedly as much as I can't wait for Spring, the snow is really beautiful.

What did you do this weekend?

15 comments:

Em said...

Looks so beautiful and for a minute I did think you were in Maine until I read the copy. I worked all weekend, and could of used a "mug-up" or two.

Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries said...

Sounds like a fun time and volunteering in teh museum must be so exciting! What exactly are you going to do? My weekend was kinda busy... cleaning the new flat, organising shelves and visiting flea markets hunting for treasure! :D
xxx

http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

briannelee said...

I used to work about 2 seconds from that museum... at an antique store. I love that area. So pretty!

curious constellation said...

These pictures are absolute bliss. I've never been in snow before so this just looks like the perfect scene to me.

Kuleigh said...

That building is beautiful! I'd love to see a ship being built.

tastymoog said...

do you ever make it down to the south coast (not south shore) of ma? i grew up in that region and i'd say it is also a different pace/environment from boston, north shore and all that. more working class.

Bad Taste Toast said...

Oh wow these photos are beautiful! Looks like this place is full of history, I love looking at old wood, the rustic feel of it.
Wish we had such nice places here were I live.

lookthroughmyspecs said...

I grew up in southern coastal Maine, and like you, I have a pretty big soft spot for that old rustic feel of fishing boats and chipped mugs of warmth. I hope you had a wonderful time at the museum!

Krystal said...

that looks like an awesome place to explore!!

Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky said...

This post made me so nostalgic for Alaska. When I commercial fished in Bristol Bay they used to have Mug-Up at the canneries and my Dad would tell me how when he commercial fished as a teenager with his Dad they'd go to mug up for coffee like 3 times a day. I've never heard anyone else use the term!

Terri said...

What fascinating photos! What exactly do you do as a volunteer?

Kennedy said...

these pictures are amazing and hey im settled! lets find a time to hang out soon?

northwest is best said...

How cool! I love small, local history museums. Hope volunteering goes well. And that you mug up plenty!

Hilary Grace said...

I was in Maine!
(Mainers would argue that York Beach isn't reeeally Maine, but either way it's beautiful. I love Maine as well.. all of it.

KellyAnn said...

your photos are Brilliant! the landscape is stunning. the photography shaddow gods were in your favor :) I'm in love with the 5th one down. I can almost hear (not hear) the silence that must happen in the morning. looking forward to some outfit pics with this picturesque background :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!