Wednesday, February 23, 2011

In the 7th house

Sweater: Vintage/thrifted cashmere ($5)
Hat: Chris's from vintage fleamarket
Necklace: Black Sparrow (gift)
Bracelets: Vintage/Thrifted
Belt: Vintage/Thrifted ($4)
Shoes: Matiko/LF ($40)
Bag: Mom's (gift)
On another, slightly warmer day I wore a long flowing skirt and cozy sweater and didn't need a coat. Once again, I can't wait to wear this dress more simply, with just a belt, leather sandals, and a necklace. I have allowed myself to think constantly of warmer months, and there's no going back. I've started my vigil, these trees have got to bud sometime. I never thought I would love long dresses and skirts as much as I do, wearing them always seemed faux pas for shorter women- someone asked yesterday, I'm 5'5"- but I think the trick is to find a maxi dress with the right proportions. Or get it hemmed to the right length. I love this one Spotted Moth sent over, color-wise it's appropriate for multiple seasons (depending on how you style it), and it super comfy. I love the flutter sleeve too, even though it's covered up in the photo. I played off the oranges, taupes and browns by adding a taupe sweater, orange belt, and brown bag, and then added some gold to make everything pop.

For my birthday last month, I met my mom in New Hampshire for lunch and she surprised me with some items that had surfaced while she cleaned our basement. It may sound funny, but receiving these items again was one of the best gifts I have ever received. Included among the family photos, vintage clothes from my childhood dress-up trunk (yep, always loved vintage), and books, was this bag. It needs some serious care, but I love it. I never really expected her to relinquish it to me, and it means so much more now that she did. Anyways, I thought it went well with the 70's art student vibe I had going on. Thanks mom!

On an unrelated note, I mentioned on my Facebook that I received a question from a reader about my diet last week and am taking questions. I'll be answering these questions in a post early next week, so if you have a question to add tot he queue, head over to the Orchid Grey Facebook page to ask! You can also ask me a question on Twitter!

40 comments:

Chloe Trayner said...

This outfit is stunning, feel like I've stepped back in time to like you say a 70's art campus! The print of the dress is lovely, looks great with the sweater and that backpack is unbelievable, you're so lucky to have a mother who keeps everything!

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

I absolutely love how you've worn this! You never fail to impress, Julie! xo

Wangari M. said...

You look gorgeous in this outfit, definitely feeling the 70s art-student vibe.

Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries said...

Loving the colors of this outfit!
I'm slowly becoming a hat addict so of course I adore your hat the most! :D
xxx

http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

Kennedy said...

dude that backpack is amazing!

katou said...

Love this look so boho chic it's absolutely amazing and your hair colour is amazing as well :)
http://insidekatouscloset.blogspot.com/

Mici Milovaného said...

wow, I adore this outfit and totally felt for that dress when I saw it without sweater..

curious constellation said...

The pattern on the dress is just amazing. & you have turned it into a Winter piece just perfectly.

Morgan said...

Wow, I love this outfit, especially the color combinations. So good.

archives said...

i love how you layered this dress! the red and grey-ish/brown is perfect - hints of spring, while still being winter appropriate! :)

eat.sleep.wear. said...

love the texture and pattern on this dress!!! and with the hat its PERFECT. xo, Kim www.eatsleepwear.com

GIRL AND CLOSET said...

Julie! Your outfits are absolutely gorgeous, your truly a fashion inspiration. I always get excited to see your outfit posts. And this one is as lovely as ever, loving it ALL and that rust coloured print, is just dreamy. xx veronika

Natasha said...

I absolutely love this outfit and silhouette! I've been dying to wear an 70's inspired outfit like this forever...I have it all figured out in my head, but I'm doing the 30 for 30 challenge, so it'll have to wait!
I swear all your outfits make me wish all my clothes was influenced by the 70's (which has been my favourite clothing era since I was about 7).


Natasha ~ Required2BeInspired

Rachel said...

Absolutely lovely outfit! I really like the 70's flair it has...so stylish. :D

FutureLint said...

70s artist vibe is right! I love the bag your mom gave you - it's so well worn! And that hat looks perfect on you!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous outfit! How did you get that dress (and that huge sleeve) to work as a skirt, did you fold the bodice down?

Stacey Kay said...

I love this outfit! So chic, love the belt mixing with the colors of that skirt. The hat is stunning.

xoxo
Stacey Kay
“Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
www.GoodwillHuntingg.com
Free fashion and accessories; this week’s fashion blog giveaways
My Vintage Handbag Line

Hilary Grace said...

Crazy dress pattern!
I can't wait to see it worn as a dress in the warmer weather.. can't wait for the warmer weather in general. :)

Kayla said...

You're a boho queen. That skirt and the hat make you my idol.

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

You're on a role at the moment! Another fantastic look...

Orchid Grey said...

thank you all for the kind words! Anon: The top is loose enough to just wear under the sweater, though you could probably fold it down just the same.

Voilà! said...

I LOVE this look!! So Maria Schneider in Last Tango in Paris!

Voilà!

Rebecca said...

You're totally have the 70's art student vibe down.

Exiled From The City said...

We have the same piercing and I love your style!

I am totally following you now!

Have a good day!

Stef / Diversions said...

I adore the taupe and orange together - the way you repeated the colours of the dress with your sweater and belt is absolutely lovely. And that bag is just beautiful!

wardrobeexperience said...

lovely colours on this outfit.

http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

Amelia said...

love how you transformed the dress. these colors are perfect on you. and you should permanently steal that hat from chris :]

Becca Jane said...

I love the way you've styled this outfit! Impeccable

Just a lazy morning said...

lovely!!
xoxo

The Bohemienne said...

That long skirt is so great--you look fab!

http://thebohemienne.wordpress.com/

April said...

boho chic and fabulous!

ape-z.blogspot.com

Natalya's Closet said...

So pretty! I love the colors and textures! XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

lindsay fisher-collie said...

i love this outfit so much! so much. '70s style is my favorite :)

So-So Good said...

I love all of your outfits, but I think this cashmere turtleneck is my fav item of yours. The fit, the color, the material, it's perfect! I've been hoping to find something similar, but no luck yet!

Mugdha said...

I have to say, I think that is one of the cutest hats I've ever seen. :)

eleanor said...

I loved this post - I have the same dress so am always on the hunt for inspiration on how to style it! You look amazing. I wore mine on Christmas day in summer here with gold heels, but can't wait to wear it in cooler weather with a pullover sweater and lace up boots peeping out!

Amethyst said...

magical necklace, my dear.
and the whole place is...wonderful <3

Kitsune-kun said...

These colours are lovely together:)

Emily said...

ha, 70s art student, i like that. that dress really is amazing. is that burnout velvet fabric? love that stuff. i really dig the beautiful colors in this outfit. and thats so great you got some forgotten things from your childhood. i know my mom has been holding onto things my whole life so im excited to see what she has stowed away.

kelly ann said...

that dress has been on my wishlist, i absolutely love it! it's perfect. and i love how you styled it!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!