Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Better Weather

I feel like I've been photographing this little autumnal nook incessantly, but I know that when the snow flies I won't be able to until spring again!
Jacket: Urban Outfitters sale ($30)
Flannel: American Apparel (work discount)
Skirt: Vintage GAP from Savers ($4)
Belt: American Apparel (work discount)
Tights: TjMaxx ($4)
Shoes: Matiko sale ($40)
Socks: J.Crew ($9)
I feel like I've been saying this for every outfit post lately: this is my new favorite outfit. Maybe it's the season, I love cozy fabrics and layering, and cold weather is ideal layering weather. After some balmy days last week, we finally got hit with some chilly weather on Saturday, perfect for flannel and wool! I bought this jacket last week when I met up with Jen in Boston for dinner, before grabbing food we made a quick stop in Urban Outfitters so i could blow off some post-work steam. I shouldn't have bought it, it didn't fit in this month's budget, but I've worn it approximately 10 times already and will wear it until it snows. Can you tell I'm still feeling guilty? Haha. This flannel is one item that I bought for work recently that I really, really love too. As much as I love thrift store flannels, it's nice to have something that fits a little snugger and is brand-new-soft. And it's SO warm!

How was your weekend? Mine was pretty laid back. Chris and I hung around the house and I finally got some stuff done, and we went to a friend's Halloween party. We also made a friday night trip to the thrift store where I found this wintery skirt. First rule of thrifting: Ignore the size! When I saw this on the rack I could tell that it could probably fit me, but the tag said it was a size 1. I'm so not a size 1, but I tried it on anyways. It fit perfectly! Lesson learned.
Did you have a nice weekend?

30 comments:

sparkle is a color (Katrina) said...

I love how you put the ankle socks with your shoes! So adorable.

I know what you mean about the fall outfits. I'm desperately trying to wear all mine before it gets too cold!

xx, Katrina
http://sparkleisacolor.blogspot.com

Karolina said...

Looking at your photos make me smile for a bit. I live in Maine and the weather is the same... The jacket is adorable, how could I miss it during my last shop in UA?
Best wishes,
Karolina

Isabella Kiss said...

i love how your loop/knot your belt like that. i always feel awkward when it is a bit too long and flopping around. but that is a great way to get rid of that problem and it is super cute!

Future Lint said...

You really do layer like a champ - I never would have thought to add the socks but they are so cute with this look!

number the first said...

fall is definitely your season. You look so good and just so at home in all of these photos ♥

Lauren said...

I love the comfy vibe of this outfit! The socks around the tights with the boots is something that I want to try sometime soon :)

Small Time Style

cb said...

I love this outfit too! love the tights with the plaid and your heidi braids too! oh soooo cute!!! love love love it!!!

xo,
cb

Becca Jane said...

I think this outfit is perfectly fall. It's so pretty and simple, but lovely.

Chaucee said...

Every new outfit you post I also think "this is my new favorite fall outfit". I love how you're layering!

Fashion Momma said...

You look so seasonally perfect. I love the tights and your top. Well, I love it all, but that combo is for sure my fav of the day!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Traveller said...

One of my new favourite looks for you too. Cozy and colourful! Lovely.

Jay said...

I love this! :)

commonsenseandstilettos.blogspot.com

Fabiola "Fab" said...

I'm currently going plaid crazy!
awesome outfit!

Alexa Raye said...

Love it! Great idea to loop the belt like that.

Half Dressed said...

You can never overuse autumn settings in pictures! Great outfit, I really love the tights, and the wedges.

L x
Half Dressed

Lexie, Little Boat said...

those desert boot-wedges are SO cute!

elanor, said...

so cute. i love the warm colors, as always. your coat <3

xx elanor

A Little Brighter said...

This is so lovely the colours and textures make me dream of fall!
Those shoes make me want to reach through the screen and steal them! I am in love!

Ayesha x

christina said...

Thanks for adding the prices again! Your blog has inspired me to go thrifting tomorrow :)

Terri said...

It's great advice to ignore the sizing...I've found lots of skirts by doing that.

I also shop women's sizes and in large for blouses that can be styled to a smaller, snugger fit.

whitney reeder said...

i love that jacket. i have one sort of similar (more trenchy, less anoraky) but it doesn't have a hood! i would love a coat like this with a hood. i will have to see if our urban over here is having a similar sale...

Carolynn Cecilia said...

no apologies necessary! the nook and this ensemble is perfection! my goodness, i love autumn!

Vanessa said...

I can't stop photographing the autumn atmosphere! I'm stocking up for those dreary winter days. I really love this outfit - it makes me want to go out and find those pieces and put this look together for myself.

www.looselips-sinkships.com

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

One of my favorite things about the change of seasons is how so many of your clothes feel like your new, favorite things all over again.

Diana said...

you look so great!

Those colors...ohhh just lovely!

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

the color of your tights is amazing! thrift stores always make me aware that size is just a number and isn't really all that important as long as the item fits, so its almost always a good activity for the ol' self esteem.

Krust said...

I love this outfit. Very cute, and your milkmaid braids are perfect!

I'm jealous of that lovely leaved spot you have. The colors are great.

krustal.com

Kimberellie said...

This outfit is simply specatacular. I love the tights and the socks. You are so pulling it off. I shall have to try it. And thirty bucks is a STEAL for that coat: stop feeling guilty! ;-)

And you are so right about sizes. I'm not a 1 either (actually, I think we are the exact same size) and a Gap 1 will often fit me, and a vintage 10! will fit me.

and you're looking gorgeous as always.

heart: Kimberellie

Charlotte said...

I absolutely love that you're wearing ankle socks over tights- it looks fantastic!!
i'd given up on my ankle socks now it's no longer bare-leg weather, but you've inspired me completely!!

Charlotte xxx

Abby said...

I've been loving your fall outfits!
They make me really want to go thrifting :)

theclosetfiles.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!