Monday, November 1, 2010

ModCloth Rhythm & Boot: A little folk music

Hat, Belt, Necklace, Bracelets: Vintage
When ModCloth contacted me about styling an outfit around their very own "Today I Met The Perfect Boots", I was so excited. And then when I heard the details, that I would be styling a folk music themed outfit, I did a little dance. I love folk! Just like Maria, I was a little worried at first that my outfit wouldn't be "folk" enough, but then I realized that my fall wardrobe already is folk-inspired: it's warm, cozy, and a little bit vintage, just like the best folk music. So I went with that I loved: a blue tunic-dress, my favorite vintage belt, some cozy thigh-highs, and a vintage felt topper.

I also loved the challenge of styling an outfit around these boots, at first glance they don't scream "folk-sy" but I made it work. I balanced the black boots with a black cardigan, and everything just came together.

You can visit ModCloth's Blog for more music inspired looks, and to top it all off while you're there, download a free song from each genre! Inspired by folk but don't know what to wear? Visit the Orchid Grey page for some handpicked-by-ModCloth inspiration!
What's your favorite kind of music?

18 comments:

Gracie said...

Oooooohh! I just LOVE this outfit, and the photos and scenery. Love love love!!!
I'm a indie/folky/pop type of music fan... and I like to dress a little bit of a mixture between folk and indie. I just love this outfit so much, well done!

Beatrice said...

Love this outfit Julie!! Great job on the fun little Modcloth challenge!! ^.^

Eunice said...

i love your folksy inspired outfit, so gorgeous. and your hair is beautiful!


heyfancypants.blogspot.com

Regina said...

I love this outfit! and especially the necklace, died a little when i saw it was vintage, hehe :(

Kate said...

I love indie instrumental. It's perfect. I love these over-the-knee socks.

elanor, said...

darling. :)
and i love folk!
xx elanor

christina said...

Are you no longer going to be posting the prices of your thrifting steals? I was always to inspired to see how much you were able to do with so little!

Sydney, The Rabbit-Hearted Girl said...

i love this, especially the hat!

A Stylized Hysteria said...

Gorgeous! You definitely have the folk-y look down here.

Orchid Grey said...

Christina, I've gone back and forth on posting how much I spend on my outfits, lately I've stopped posting how much because I've been re-wearing so much and some of it is bought with the discount I receive form my job. But I think I will start reposting it, it's a nice remainder to myself that I don't have to spend a lot of money on clothes to feel and look nice. thanks for reading!

Jennifer said...

LOVE IT! You look gorgeous! This was the perfect "folk" outfit.
-JLK

Liz said...

I'm an indie rock/pop fanatic! Love your folksy take on the boots and btw your hair is getting ridiculously and gorgeously long, jealous!

Midwest Mayhem said...

Great outfit!!! I adore the hat!

Ana - Toil and Trouble said...

I might be on a train with you, I think I saw you in maroon tights in front of me. Well, don't I sound creepy right now?

andrea k (blonde bedhead) said...

LOVE this outfit! Very inspiring. Give me your haiiiiirrr!!

prettyinpdxstyle said...

I'm a little late but just wanted to say that I love this outfit, the hat especially!
Some of my favorite kinds of music are indie rock, alternative rock, rockabilly, psychobilly, and new wave. I love discovering new bands, Pandora is so great for that!

Elizabeth Benfield said...

what an amazing outfit. i love this hat!!!

Velvet Dawn said...

Hi! I am Dawn from Suitcase Vignettes and I am stopping by your blog to say WOW!!!! I love how you dress. I have in the past posted about you on my blog because your Heidi braids were beautiful. I am going to follow you for inspiration. Have a great day and you wear clothing beautifully....thanks for sharing...Admirably, Dawn

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!