Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Over the Weekend Part 1: Portland

pre-post note: I've started linking to items I've bought that are available online, it won't be a lot because most of what I wear is second-hand, but maybe you'll find it helpful?!
Dress: thrifted ($4)
Belt: vintage gift
Bag: thrifted ($10)
Sandals: c/o PacSun spring break crew
Necklace: c/o Dolly and Boy
outfit photos: chris
These photos are actually from Friday, when my weekend started. Chris has Fridays off, and we've been enjoying having the day together since I haven't been working full-time. We decided to take a day trip up to Portland, ME, which is only about an hour from us (and a 45 minute drive from where I grew up) and one of my all-time favorite cities. Since I knew it would be another summer scorcher, I opted for a breezy linen dress, easy sandals, and a frizz concealing straw hat. This hat is seriously my favorite thing ever, don't be surprised if you see it in a lot of upcoming posts. It had been sitting on a shelf at the skate-shop where Chris works for ages so I decided to finally make it mine after trying it on every single time I went in. I have been looking for a straw hat for a long time, but had very specific requirements, mainly I wanted one that was flipped up all the way around. I love Brixton hats anyways, Chris has a few that have held up so well over the past few years.
Anyways, we origionally intended to catch a ferry out to one the islands in the bay but got there too late, so instead we spent the day wandering around the Old Port, eating grilled lobster sandwiches and sipping beer at a pub overlooking Casco Bay, and lounging around the waterfront. I know this will probably sound really gross to a lot of you, but I love the smell of low tide, fresh fish, the docks, and seaweed, downtown Portland possesses all of these smells. Chris and I would move there in a heartbeat if we could find jobs, I love it so much. I think that has been one of the most difficult aspects of post-college life so far: reconciling the necessity of being in or near a large city for career purposes, but really feeling much more of a connection and pull with a place that has more of a small-town aesthetic but does not support the kind of career I want. Life! Anyways...
After traipsing around downtown for a couple of hours, we met up with some friends in Scarborough and headed to the best-worst-place-in-Maine: Old Orchard Beach. No local in their right mind ventures down to OOB, it's trashy, loud, and frankly, kind of gross. It's the butt of many jokes, most of which are too inappropriate to post on this blog. It's the home of "Palace Playland" and an unspectacular boardwalk, along with a host of the kind of shops that will sell you a Bud Light string bikini and by-the-dozen shot glasses. Somehow it manages to be both a dream and a nightmare, the people watching is phenomenal! We wandered some more, ate terrible/wonderful food (mile long franks and fries), and tried to avoid the hoards of pre-teens out on group dates.

I feel like the past few days have been so crazy, I have SO much catching up to do!

31 comments:

Half Dressed said...

Hey,
It's really interesting to read posts like these that show some smaller places that are probably nearly as interesting as the bigger places everyone goes too :)
Really nice outfit, esp like the hat! :)

L x

http://only-halfdressed.blogspot.com/

Megan said...

Outfit's great. I love how everything looks perfect together. And how you can make something so casual look so chic. Good job! :]

www.withhighhopes.blogspot.com

cb said...

love this outfit and the hat, you look great! i like you both are wearing denim too, the mister and i can never leave the house matching...i wish we could sometimes do it looks so cute!!!

xo,
cb
www.thecitybirdsnest.blogspot.com

Angie D said...

Looks like you had a fun weekend! I love your hat, too! It's perfect :)

I love the smell of low tide too, because that means I'm by the water!!

roller coaster teacher said...

Your pics are awesome - I have never been to Maine, it is absolutely on my "visit really really soon!" list!!!

roller coaster teacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
roller coaster teacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
roller coaster teacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
roller coaster teacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Q's Daydream said...

Aww! I lived in Portland for 3 years. Just left a year ago. As pretty as it is, there really isn't anything going on as you said. Also, it's wayyyy to cold for me in the winter, haha! We're moving to Nashville, TN in two days an can't waiiiiit!
Love the outfit!

Nicole said...

I totally hear you on a place that can support a career vs. a place to live - it can be so frustrating at times. At least you're closer to beautiful New England towns than I am (I'm stuck in NJ for the time being).

~Nicole

http://employedpanache.blogspot.com/

Lindsay said...

I love Portland, too! Such a great city. And OOB is definitely interesting... I wish Maine wasn't a plane ride across the country away! :)

Lexie, Little Boat said...

fun! i am still obsessed with that little belt knot you pull off so nicely!

Rio said...

Love your hat! I have a couple of similar hats that have definitely been in heavy rotation for me! :) (like in my profile picture haha)

http://showersofsunflowers.blogspot.com/

Marlena said...

this sounds like the PERFECT summer day, honestly. strolling boardwalks, eating seafood, people watching with ur bf (who has kick ass shades btw). im jealouso, i havent really had one of those days yet. and you look lovely as alwayssss

Chaucee said...

This post reminds me that I still haven't found that perfect summer hat I've been waiting for.

Sarah said...

This is a great outfit. I really like this hat. I was in Portland, Maine a few years ago and just loved it. It was a wonderful place and I always wish I could go back and spend more time there. Great pictures!

thequeenofwanderlust.blogspot.com

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

oh these pictures make me miss maine SO MUCH!!!!!
you look so freckly and summery and maine-y. i feel i could reach through the screen and hug you like a bosom buddy today.

Carrie said...

Oh man, I love Maine. My bf's parents live close to Portland and I love going to visit them. Hopefully I can convince him that we need to go again soon...

And what you said about the smells makes total sense to me. I grew up at the beach in NC. Salt marsh and fresh fish just smell like home to me!

.Alyspank said...

I've always found small towns more appealing than big cities, but that's just my personality. Very calm and easy going.

Your wardrobe for this occasion was really cute! A very stylish sort of casual. And the pictures make me want to go to the east coast so bad! Limited funds keep me stranded here in the midwest. Oh well- hurray for living through other bloggers pictures for the time being! Money will come along for a road trip eventually :)

-Weezy from http://beautysimplistic.blogspot.com/

Kathryn from Schoolmarm Style said...

I am absolutely a small town girl. Luckily, my career path allows me to stay here. These pictures are amazing, especially the ones of the ferris wheel. You really captured an old time look while clearly in a modern setting.

That outfit is so perfect that I have to steal the look for a weekend music fest I am heading to.

Lindsay said...

This outfit is fabulous. You look great in a hat! I have been obsessed with hats this summer and have purchased 3-4 and now they are on constant rotation.
I'm glad you are enjoying some time off. It is always great to reconnect with your honey and explore a new place together.

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

I had the good fortune of spending some time in this lovely town earlier this year. One of my favorite places in New England!

Emily said...

There's nothing better than eating seafood sandwiches by the seashore!

Archives said...

i LOVE the first photograph!!! :D

Dominika said...

love your outfit!
it's really great!
great photos as well!
<3

LaurenSchoon said...

Cute outfit! I like the way you tied the belt.

Come check out the giveaway on my blog!
http://champagneandmarshmallows.blogspot.com/

Melanie said...

Ahhh, freckles! So cute. Love the amusement park photos :)

Remember to enter for your chance to win a Two Strap Belt from Sway!

Melanie@UnravelledThreads

Cadie said...

Your old orchard beach reminds me of the way several of the new jersey beaches are described. Despite their reputation, I still love to go there, people watch and eat frozen yogurt from Kohr's.

Erin Cathleen said...

Awesome photos! I've been dying to visit Portland, Maine lately. Haven't been in a long time. I hear there's a pretty substantial eco-scene happening now, so as a boho-gal I need to go check it out!

Danielle said...

Your sandals are cute!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!