Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Gonna get me a gal that'll go out on the town (plus shop update!)

Sweater: Second-hand from friend
Belt: Vintage ($1)
Necklace: H&M ($9)
Shoes: Guess ($24)

So this week is Dress Your Best week over at Academichic, when I received the email asking me to participate, I immediately said yes! One of the reasons I was drawn to blogging in the first place was that blogs offered something that magazines didn't: a true representation of very shape and size body imaginable. I loved the idea of Dress Your Best, it can sometimes be too easy to get hung up on one's flaws, having a whole week devoted to our best parts is a refreshing idea! So my first gold star this week goes to my figure.

One of my absolute favorite features of my body is my shape, I love having an hourglass figure and I love dressing an hourglass figure. So, when I saw this dress on ModCloth, I knew it would be perfect on me. I was sure it would sell out fast, but there are still some on the website! It's a little step out of the ordinary for me with the bright florals and sweetheart neckline, but I love it (I did have to tailor it a little by bringing in the sides of the top). It makes me feel like a modern pin-up, it'll be perfect for a summer date! To accentuate my small waist, I added a black belt and threw on a little sweater because it was freezing out!
I haven't always been so comfortable with my body, in high school I wore a lot of baggy clothing. It wasn't until college that I really learned to love my body. When I found rockabilly music (Trivia! the title of this post is a lyric from a Roy Orbison song) and pin-ups, I really developed an appreciation for my curves, here was a subculture that celebrated a "classic" figure! I eventually fell out of that scene, but my appreciation for curves and a little something to grab onto is still with me.

Don't forget to check out the other bloggers participating in Dress Your Best!
What parts of your body do you love?

PS- You didn't think I forgot did you?! I updated Shop Orchid Grey this afternoon! There are four new items up and many more to come! I'll also have more pictures of the swap later on in the week, I'm glad you all liked the video!

ModCloth.com is a sponsor of Orchid Grey and kindly provided the dress in this post

41 comments:

Brianna said...

I absolutely love your dress! I've been looking for one like that but I can't find one that is big enough in the bust area :(

youre necklace is gorgeous too


confidence is beautiful :)


http://the-not-so-secret-loves-of-bri.blogspot.com/

Vanessa said...

I really love this dress, especially with the necklace. I think my favorite body part is my hair. Does that count? Hah

OooKellyNicky said...

Oh wow, what a unique necklace, really pretty. I love how the top of your dress is corseted.

my blog: ♥La Stylin Girraffe♥

Kathyrine said...

I used to cover up my arms all the time because of my eczema, but I've managed to keep it under control and I feel like I can wear short sleeves if I wanted! :)

I absolutely adore that necklace! And the entire outfit is quite cute!

Ana - Toil and Trouble said...

You look absolutely gorgeous! These colors are really flattering on you.

Claire Marie said...

I am in love with that dress. Covet covet covet.

lumikha said...

i really love that necklace! :)

Juliette said...

Beautiful floral dress! I love the colors! Very summery :]

-Juliette WhereForArtThouRomeo

Sarah said...

I love, love, love this look. Great colors and this dress is wonderful!

thequeenofwanderlust.blogspot.com

Awkward Socialite said...

Love the florals! I think my favorite would be my waist and my arms because they're so slender.

Nicoloushka said...

This is the perfect summer dress! I love that it can be a cocktail dress with some heels and some jewelery, or it could look just as cute with some sandals and a straw hat!
glad to see the poky bits are keeping you from sporting that necklace. its def not for me, but it is stunning with your complexion.

♥Lola said...

I love this dress on you and the belt looks gorgeous. What a fantastic little figure you have! :)

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Love that dress!! Oh and I love the color of your nail polish. I've been wanting a color like that.

princesspolitico said...

it’s great to see a blogger that appreciates her body-shape. as a curvy girl as well, this pinup cut is SO FLATTERING on you. floral prints also make you look beautiful!

xo.
princesspolitico.blogspot.com

L. said...

i love how well the dress and cardigan go together. I love how you embrace your figure, as a fellow hour-glass girl, I really admire your style.

Betty Noir

kelly ann said...

i have an hourglass figure, too, and it's refreshing to see other girls w/ the same shape really appreciating their bodies. it's encouraging!

i absolutely LOVE that dress, it's so flattering... i might need to snag it before it's gone. ;)

Rūta said...

It's a bit diferrent look then usually from you. love it!
And you really have great shape of figure.

Shallow Mallow said...

Fashion mags just make me grumpy. Why would I want to watch 13 year old stick insects on whom even tailored clothes look baggy?
I'd much rather roam the blogosphere :-)

The dress looks great on you!

Stel said...

the dress is gorgeous, and shows off your figure perfectly!!

cocojones said...

This is a really cool idea, I totally agree with the sentiment behind it. Dressing to play up your good bits is so much more fun than hiding under layers.
I'm glad more 'retro' influences have hit more mainstream clothing outlets as there are more options for women with some shape than there used to be, I have curvy hips and buying clothes used to be a nightmare, now there's almost too much cute stuff!

Tanvi said...

What pretty pieces :o) Love your complete look!

Jennifer said...

ooh you look so pretty in this dress! I love it!
-jenloveskev

number the first said...

such bright colours! <3 I think that is such a great idea.

you look so pretty in these pictures with the dark background and your bright clothes :) feels like spring is kicking winter out.

sparkle is a color said...

Love the dress! I especially love the corset style top. I don't know about you, but I'm sick of this chilly New England weather. I just want to be able to go outside in a dress and not freeze!

The Village Idiot said...

great dress! love tyhe necklace!

Becky said...

Stunning. Also, (and this goes for every post) I love your hair.

fashion_player said...

lovely dress:)

Fabulocity in Amish Country said...

This dress is great on you! I love the bustier top! And that necklace is super cute! :)

Melanie said...

You look fantastic. Glad to see you're participating in dress your best week...it's such a wonderful idea.

Melanie@Unravelled Threads

Liz said...

Gorgeous! I think the built-in bustier type dresses are totally going to be a trend. Lauren Conrad's line at Kohl's features a dress almost identical to this.

Bea Modisett said...

Julie - looks like the link to see the other participants is going to the ModCloth site...I'd love to see who else is a part of this! PS - Daaaaaamn girl!

Future Lint said...

This dress makes your waist look positively wee! You do have some lovely classic curves and I love the bright colors on you! I'm doing the challenge this week too and it's so fun trying to think of different things to accentuate and how (with still being work appropriate!)

Orchid Grey said...

thanks Bea! it's fixed!

Clare said...

Yowza! This dress shows off your figure so beautifully!! and the necklace is the perfect touch!

Skyline Eyes said...

You look gorgeous! I agree body hang ups are a waste of time, if you've got it, flaunt it! Haha (:
x

Academichic said...

This is such a pretty dress and it definitely fits you in the best way possible. Thanks so much for participating in this, it's great to have other bloggers echo our sentiments about the positives of blogging!

Looking forward to your other Dress You Best posts! :)

S

zoë, lion heart vintage said...

DAAAAAM girl! this looks incredible on you - your boyfriend will love it i'm sure! ;)

what a fantastic idea this Dress Your Best thing is. cause we all go through times in our life when we loathe certain parts of us, but it's amazing what a bit of determination and spunk can do to that sense of loathing... sooner or later we actually start to cherish those features.

also i'm sure this post is really important to your younger readers who might be going through pressures as teenagers to conform to a certain body type/image. great stuff julie!

Becca Jane said...

This dress looks simply stunning on you!

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

Love the bodice on your dress. You look beautiful.

marimaru said...

What a great idea! You look fabulous!

Mascara or Motoroil said...

How do you manage to always look SO fabulous?!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!